Mystic Teal Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

2000 Z28 A4 vs 5th Gen LS3 Camaro SS M6

About a month ago or so I had a run in with a 5th Gen camaro SS 6 speed that I almost completely forgot about. Anyway I got to thinking about it so I thought I would post it up here.

I was out for a cruise on the weekend and came up to a stop light MMOB and I notice a new camaro sitting at the light. Right as I get stopped at the light it turns green right away (I hate when that happens) and I looked over not really thinking anything of the new camaro because almost always theres some old guy driving them that will never play, around here anyway. Anyway as I take off from the light I give a little gas to let whoever was driving that car know I had exhaust work. I couldn't see in the car cause of the tinted windows. They didn't do anything at first, so I cruised ahead a good ways. Then about 1/4 mile down the road I look in my side view mirror and this 5th gen camaro is SCREAMING towards me doing probably 100 mph and just blows by me like I'm not even there as I'm doing about 40-45. His car was loud as hell too. At least a cat-back.

So now I know this person is game to race obviously if they are going to drive that recklessly IN town. I catch back up to the guy and give him a good rev and we both taunt each other back and forth for a little while until we make our way out of town. Then the guy finally rolls his windows down and asks me what speed I wanted to go from. (I would have preferred a dig w/ my DR's but there were cars right behind us) So I held up 4 fingers and then 5 fingers for 45. He then starts honking it off right away before I could get good and ready. I had just slipped the shifter it into 2nd right as he made the 3rd honk. He got a little jump on me cause I wasn't totally ready yet. But I stopped his pull by about 70-75 and held it there until about 100mph, then the guy shut down with my front bumper on his rear bumper. I wanted to go again cause I think I could have taken him had we went at the same time. But the guy didn't seem to want to. He just gave me the thumbs up, rolled his window back up and kept driving. So I turned around and went back into town.

BTW my mods are SLP lid/cat-back and a mild tune. The car also has the 3.23's out back. Not sure about the 5th gen's mods but I know he at least had a cat/back and probably intake too it sounded like.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

ah nice dude! at least it wasnt a 5.0 that got you. i ran a new m6 ss and put about 1 to 1.5 cars on it. but i am full bolt ons m6 with 4.10s and a tune. new 5th gens not too shabby. i got to go drive one the other day with a borla catback and kn intake. the ls3 was sucking louder than the borla was spittin it out. i still think i coulda edged it

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have beaten a new 5.0 auto before. I'm sure an M6 3.73 optioned gear one would pull on me though. But yeah power to weight ratio is huge here. My car only weighs a hair over 3,200 lbs also.
    Last edited by Mystic Z-28; 10-14-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

good run.. too bad you guys didnt race twice i also think you could of taken it.. Im not a huge fan on the new SS's they dont impress me. Ive never raced one but everyone i know that owns one is a stuck up rich boy or an old man. Thats probably why i dont really like them lol

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I ran one last spring from 70ish to 120ish several times. He couldn't pull away from me, and I couldn't pull away from him. I was in 5th the whole time. I wasn't impressed. Doesn't have the gas mileage, and I know from a start, it wouldn't be pretty. Or if I downshifted to 4th. This was all with my stock exhaust.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

the new camaro SS's are not fast enough for me i raced a couple of them at the track(with mods in sig) one was a 2011 SS 6 speed and the other was an auto... the fastest one that raced me only ran a 13.5 in the 1/4 and went slower the rest of the night the auto was runing low 14's to high 13's all night IMO you would think they would be faster but they must weigh to much...
    SLP lid w/K&N Filter, Free-Mods, LT-Headers, ORY-Pipe, V-Force Muffler, Frost Tune, AIR/EGR Delete, SFCs, Ported TB

My00Z28-----2000/Z28--------2.0331---8.4118 @ 86.83----12.9856 @ 107.15----NA------10/11

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah they weigh around 4k pounds. Definitely pigs.

There's a girl in my home town that says her mom's 2011 auto SS with full exhaust will smoke me. What do you guys think? I know I would kill it off the line cause it just has street tires and I have DR's but do you think I could keep pulling away?
    Last edited by Mystic Z-28; 10-24-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

im sure if you got the jump you would win if youre almost stock... what are your mods?

Thread Information