Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Tonight was a Good night for Racing

Me and my cousin went out to our local BJ's to a little get together and all and all there was a good showing of cars. We even got to see a skyline which is the first time I have ever seen one in person.

On to the Races:
    Cousin- Cammed 2003 Z06 with supporting mods
    Me- Almost Stock 2002 Camaro SS

Tonight I raced a Turboed volvo (guys a giant tool). We went from a 40 roll at first, he got the hit and didn't even honk and I reeled him back in and put about 3-4 cars on him.
    The second race was a 20 roll and I pretty much just utterly destroyed him and had about 6-7 car lengths on him.

The next car I raced was a pretty quick dodge diesel. We went from a dig and I beat him out of the hole and just kept putting lengths on him. He decided to quit after that.

The last race of the night for me was a Cobalt SS/TC It looked stock besides exhaust and I didn't get a chance to ask him what was in it. But we went from a dig and I beat him by about 4 lengths and shut down at 60. Thank god that was the speed limit because cops flew by not even 2 min later (to bust a party I'm guessing) and that ended all racing for me and my cousin.

My cousin got to race a brand new 5.0 that was running his mouth the whole night saying how bad he would kill a corvette. As soon as my cousin heard this he was like hey man wanna race my Z06. After mouthing off for a bit talking some smack we went out to the street on 70 and went from a 25 roll a 40 roll and a 65 roll. All runs went up to about 120-135 and each time my cousin was just crushing the whole way. I got to say that was the best night I have had out in the Camaro in a long time.
    Do you think a Stock SS will run close if not even with a new 5.0?
    2002 Camaro SS Black Betty
    Suspension:
    Poly Trans mount, Solid Motor mount, Strut tower Brace
    Performance:
    SLP intake, Smooth Bellow, A.I.R Delete, M/T's on Salad Shooters
    Apperance:
    Re-Badged, Ultragauge, Whistler Mod, Racing Seats, Auto Hurst Shift Handle

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

You beat a Volvo with a turbo (model/year), You beat a dodge diesel (make/model/year), You beat a Cobalt SS. First I am not saying the LS1 is the god of motors. I have had 03/04 cobra's hand me my ass with mods. Try taking something on closer to your HP. I would not have given any of the cars you mention the time of day. I would have been real nice to them. But IMO it is not worth the waste of gas. I want something close or something I might lose to. Do I think a stock SS with a good driver will be close with a good driver in the new 5.0.... NOPE..

Great kills and all.. But I would not have raced them.. I hunt the modded 03/04 cobras and new 5.0's down. Heck in stock form 00 Z... I hunted the 00 stangs down.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 07-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

hahaha yeah I was egged on by each person and honestly I thought the Turbo Volvo was going to be faster as well as with the truck. The cobalt was a 09 I believe, the dodge was a older one with a stack and it said bottle fed on the back. The volvo was a 2004 he is always racing for money in these parts and I just wanted to set him strait. Also if a bad driver was to drive the 5.0 and a awesome driver was to drive the camaro you think it would be close?

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    hahaha yeah I was egged on by each person and honestly I thought the Turbo Volvo was going to be faster as well as with the truck. The cobalt was a 09 I believe, the dodge was a older one with a stack and it said bottle fed on the back. The volvo was a 2004 he is always racing for money in these parts and I just wanted to set him strait. Also if a bad driver was to drive the 5.0 and a awesome driver was to drive the camaro you think it would be close?
    It'd have to be a big difference. A bad driver can lose in a bughatti. It all depends. The average driver in a new 5.0 will beat a good driver in a stock LS1. Sucks to say but, the car is just faster.
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    It'd have to be a big difference. A bad driver can lose in a bughatti. It all depends. The average driver in a new 5.0 will beat a good driver in a stock L
    S1. Sucks to say but, the car is just faster.
    majority of the new 5.0 drivers around here are young. I now have four 5.0 wins. I personally do not think they are that fast. But I'm also been driving and racing awhile. I know I almost put myself in debt and bought one, then my red TA with tan interior popped up for sale. Luckily for me. If I would got the 5.0 I would have been throughly disappointed and pissed off.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Well at least you got the ws6 and not the 5.0

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    majority of the new 5.0 drivers around here are young. I now have four 5.0 wins. I personally do not think they are that fast. But I'm also been driving and racing awhile. I know I almost put myself in debt and bought one, then my red TA with tan interior popped up for sale. Luckily for me. If I would got the 5.0 I would have been throughly disappointed and pissed off.
    That's great that you got the wins, and most being young drivers who don't know how to drive properly does help. However, besides it being a mustang, which I'd never own, the car itself from a performance standpoint, being it in a straight line or around a track, is quicker in stock form. Not debatable. If it doesn't seem fast then you need to race one with a driver worthy. If you're not stock at all and beat the stock ones then... well I'll assume you wouldn't still be posting lol. 'Cause that's obvious.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

That's great that you got the wins, and most being young drivers who don't know how to drive properly does help. However, besides it being a mustang, which I'd never own, the car itself from a performance standpoint, being it in a straight line or around a track, is quicker in stock form. Not debatable. If it doesn't seem fast then you need to race one with a driver worthy. If you're not stock at all and beat the stock ones then... well I'll assume you wouldn't still be posting lol. 'Cause that's obvious.
    I drove several as I almost bought one. TO ME.....they are big and bulky feeling, all over the place, they had power, but it quickly dissipated thru each gear. And I raced my friend who is my age, his isn't stock as mine isn't either and I still won. Go drive one and get back to me.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I drove several as I almost bought one. TO ME.....they are big and bulky feeling, all over the place, they had power, but it quickly dissipated thru each gear. And I raced my friend who is my age, his isn't stock as mine isn't either and I still won. Go drive one and get back to me.
    Oh I'll agree on the bulkyness. I've driven them and the '11 camaros. I would take my WS6 over them anyday as well. Different feeling massively. But, numbers don't lie. Biased aside and preferences and all that, no one could really say their LS1 is faster on similar mods. It's just... not lol. Again on your friend, it's great you won. Like, awesome actually. But you gotta admit you beat HIM, not the car. Others on the board have said it multiple times.

Don't wanna fued though so in any case, congrats on your kill and good decision on the 4th gen. I would have made the same.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I wanna go race one now just to see how close I am. Kinda afraid to see how badly I get beaten tho haha

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Oh I'll agree on the bulkyness. I've driven them and the '11 camaros. I would take my WS6 over them anyday as well. Different feeling massively. But, numbers don't lie. Biased aside and preferences and all that, no one could really say their LS1 is faster on similar mods. It's just... not lol. Again on your friend, it's great you won. Like, awesome actually. But you gotta admit you beat HIM, not the car. Others on the board have said it multiple times.

Don't wanna fued though so in any case, congrats on your kill and good decision on the 4th gen. I would have made the same.
    Numbers do lie. GM and Ford have a history of lying about HP numbers. But I also do not want to debate it. You are close in age to my daughter and your age group knows everything at this point.

And I will believe that my buddy is the better driver than me from his experience. It was the Trans Am. Period.

But I'm going home.. And btw your car looks good in the what you did today thread.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Numbers do lie. GM and Ford have a history of lying about HP numbers. But I also do not want to debate it. You are close in age to my daughter and your age group knows everything at this point.

And I will believe that my buddy is the better driver than me from his experience. It was the Trans Am. Period.

But I'm going home.. And btw your car looks good in the what you did today thread.
    Oh completely, I meant more or less the trap numbers, not hp. I don't pay attention to those xD. And I can't really say you're wrong on your own race because niether were stock and I know nothing about them, I was only 'assuming' from a factory standpoint. Appreciate it though! Took me a while to get all the VHT crap ready but, was worth it imo. Think I did the right thing by leaving the taillights/fogs alone? I can always do them but can't really UN-do them so I'm skeptical lol.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You didn't do the tails? You gotta do them, just go light. I sanded the bird off the center panel and hit everything the same. Looks awesome. IMO anyway. And I blasted the top of my third brake light hard, and barely touched the underside. Then it shines through good, but to actually look at it, its almost black.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I need to redo the 3rd because the paint cracked, i'll have to sand down and redo it, but I hit that pretty hard too. And I didn't do the tails because I like them. I don't want it to be too too blacked out. It does look pretty cool sometimes I see it and ponder doing it but, I think I like them better as is.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The new 2011 Mustang 5.0 liter cranks out 412 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 390 pound-feet of torque at 4250

They run 12.8 in the 1/4 with an ET of 111MPH almost.

Those numbers DON'T lie. Get someone in the car that can drive it, and you're going to lose to one in a stock LS1.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The new 2011 Mustang 5.0 liter cranks out 412 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 390 pound-feet of torque at 4250

They run 12.8 in the 1/4 with an ET of 111MPH almost.

Those numbers DON'T lie. Get someone in the car that can drive it, and you're going to lose to one in a stock LS1.
    (Though the rest of the conversation was removed...)
    Thank you Jon. All I meant was OEM platform for platform, '11 stang > us, regardless of "feel."

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree. Even with the best driver, a LS1 will only hit 12.9 in stock form...and those numbers are rare and hardly seen.

A majority are right around 13.5 in the 1/4 mile when bone stock down to the filter and stock rubber. Of course, some are quicker and some are slower. The best I ever achieved in my M6 car with LT's, exhaust, lid, and 4.11 gears was a 13.1 at 109MPH. I probably could have dipped into the 12's with a better 60', but with Nitto's and a M6, I could only cut a 1.906.

Again though, I wasn't stock anymore at that point.

When I ran the car bone stock, I ran a 13.7 at 105MPH. That's pretty far off from a 12.8 at 111MPH and I consider myself a better than average driver as far as shifting capabilities go.

The LS1 in stock form peaks HP at around 5,500RPM, so while you're starting to flatten out above that while you reach your shifting point at around 6200RPM, the new Mustang is still pulling hard up to 6500RPM.

Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6

New Stock 5.0 Mustangs are faster than Stock LS1's, hate to admit it but it is true. Remember they have about 10 years of new technology in them, so in a way they better be faster. How much faster? Only one way to find out, go race one, why not. They are all over the place now, I just haven't been able to race one yet. Hopefully soon, and when I do I will post about it. If you get a chance to race one before we do, let us know please.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Look in a magazine that talks about track testing like GM High Performance or Car & Driver. They are 0.7 seconds faster in the 1/4, on average.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

But we look so much better .
    If ya can't beat them OEM, then grow beyond oem. Simple enough haha.

Thread Information