payne8852@hotmail.com
    payne8852@hotmail.com

My car is missing and I don't know why.

Well, I guess I'll state the problem and then give more detail. My car is missing, but it's inconsistent. It never does it immediately after start up. So if it's missing I can cut the engine off, and cut it back on and it runs fine for about 5-10 minutes. I've had this problem once before and I just replaced the fuel filter and put gas treatment in it. That seemed to fix it. It seems to do it worse during heavy rain and such. I don't know if it's just coincidence, and the problem started just after I drove through a huge rain storm that popped up out of nowhere. My car is a 2000 model camaro z28 with an LS1 in it. It has long tube headers and magnaflo exhaust system. Also when it starts to miss the SES light flashes. My SES light is usually always on for some reason. When I checked it with the reader it said bad O2 sensor so I changed it, and it still says the same thing, but drives fine. I haven't done anything to fix the missing problem yet. Just kind of wondering where the best place to start would be.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate any feedback.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

The flashing SES is indicating the misfire... How many miles are on it, and how long since plugs and wires?

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Also.... What O2 code did it throw???

payne8852@hotmail.com
    payne8852@hotmail.com

103000 miles are on it. And I don't remember the exact code. I know it was the O2 sensor on the passenger side that was replaced, but it was driving fine even with the bad O2 sensor, and replacing it didn't fix it, so I didn't worry about it.
    I haven't changed the plugs in quite a long time. But the odd thing to me, is that it will start up, idle fine and run for a while and then it starts to misfire. And it's totally random. I put gas treatment in it, because I was thinking maybe it was just bad gas, but I don't know. I always run premium 93.
    Last edited by Payne8852; 06-29-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Clean the MAF and TB
    Also change your plugs and wires.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Well, The code would help... The o2's dont become active per say until the loop closes (the car warms up) but that doesn't totally explain the turning it off, and it being fine again for a few minutes... Is this a sure bet? or only a sometimes fix?

payne8852@hotmail.com
    payne8852@hotmail.com

It always fixes it, it's just random for how long it stays that way. It could be 5 minutes, or it could be 20.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

My Local GM dealer will Tech II diag. for $55.00... I would say see about yours before you throw money at it.... Intermittent problems can cost alot of time and money to track down.... Try the easy stuff first (cleaning and maintenance items) If the routine doesn't fix it, Tech II will be your best (cheapest) bet.....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Your car has four (4) O2 sensors -- two (2) pre-cat and two (2) post cat, Bank 1 is on the left and Bank 2 is on the right. The pre-cat sensors control fueling as they provide feedback to the PCM. The post-cat sensors simply tell the PCM is if the cats are working properly and have no affect on fueling.

As stated, the pre-cat sensors do not do anything until the PCM switches from open to closed loop at a set coolant temp. Also, the sensors are electrically heated as they need to be at a certain temp to operate properly. A lot of times, a bad sensor is really just a burned out heating element, although the sensor's performance does degrade over time. Generally, they should be replaced at 75,000 miles.

It really sounds like you should replace the plugs and wires on your car. This is simply routine maintenance and may resolve your misfire issue. It is best to use a dab of dielectric grease on the boots before installation. Also, you should hear and feel the plug wire "click" once on the plugs and twice on the coils.

If the O2 sender code remains, swap the senders right to left and see if the code follows it. If so, you may have a defective sender. If not, you probably have a wiring issue that could be causing the problem. Finally, I would check your fuel pressure at the rail, clean your MAF and throttle body as suggested, and inspect your vacuum lines and intake ductwork for any leaks.

What mods have been done on your car?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check over your plug wires and make sure one didn't dry out and crack from either the heat off the headers or actually touching the headers.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As was just discussed in another thread -- wait until after dark and then start the engine with the hood up. If you have plug wires arcing, you should easily see the spark dancing around the areas that are bad.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

But if its plugs/wires... why the Key cycle fix????

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post

With a random misfire, it could just be a coincidence -- hard to tell.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Yea, But its hard to believe coincidence seeing as how the OP stated it fixes it EVERY time.....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do you think it might be more of a fuel pressure issue then with a lean misfire? Shut the car down and the pump runs good for a bit on re-start before warming up and the pressure drops again?

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Very possible... We need the code info.... Most peeps (and vato zone clerks) pull codes, and they see Lean o2 B1S2 ... and they automatically say: Hmmmm, Bad o2 sensor.... the Idiots dont understand that the o2 is the sensor that is reading the lean condition therefore its doing its job.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    if it's a lean condition why would it be worse during a rain? I think we're missing some pretty key information here. Normally a misfire that gets worse with moisture is ignition related.....not always but a lot of times. The key cycle piece of the puzzle doesn't fit it being ignition so I'm guessing we're missing some info.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if it's a lean condition why would it be worse during a rain?
    I was just stating hypothetical.... Thats why I said we need the code(s).

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think we're missing some pretty key information here.
    ^^THIS

black
    02 z28

quite possible your dealing with two separate issues here the first being random intermittent missfire most likely caused by coil pack or faulty wires and plugs second the o2 sensor code could easily be a faulty catalytic converter esp if the code is for a rear o2 find out what code is stored as many others have said and we can help you more

Thread Information