Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP Conv.

Ignition switch delayed engagement

My 02 SS has a starting issue. When I turn the ignition key to start the car, the idiot lights come on but the starter does not engage (silence). When I try it once or twice more, the starter engages and the engine starts (prior to buying, the starter was checked through an auto inspection service and I was told functioning properly);

Faulty chip in the key?

Faulty starter solinoid?

Something else?

I bought the car a month ago and the seller told me about the problem after the sale (salt -of-the-earth kinda guy).

thanks for the help...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

How does the chip on the key look? If it gets corroded, it could not be reading properly when inserted into the ignition. You could also check into doing the VATS bypass, if it hasn't been done yet.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It could also be a faulty ignition switch - not making the proper contact when turning the key.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Is the security light on in the cluster? If it is, then you have an issue with either the chip in the key, the ignition key cylinder wires, the BCM or a combination.

Most of the time is the ignition cylinder wires that are breaking off and don't make good contact.

Like Knight mention there is a write up about the VATS under tech stickies.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262

If the security light is not on when the car is not cranking then it can be your starter solenoid going bad, the starter relay, the wiring, the ignition switch or combination. The easiest way to find out if it is the starter is crawl underneath the car and using a test light or voltmeter check for voltage at the small wire that goes to the starter solenoid at the starter itself. You must have someone inside the car turn the key to "start" and you should the test light on or 12v in the voltmeter.

If the light is turning on or you are getting 12v but the car don't start then check for 12v at the big starter wire that comes from the battery. Check the starter ground to make sure the wire is good and the terminals are clean. If the car don't crank after performing these tests then your starter is bad.

If you don't have a light or 12v at the small solenoid wire then if could be the relay, ignition switch or a frayed wire(not common).
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-26-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

one additional possibility (if it's a 6-speed), check the clutch safety switch down by the clutch pedal. I know mine is a little touchy and i've driven at least one other one that had a really touchy clutch safety switch. I think the other possibilitys listed above are more likely, but just didn't want to let this possibility slip through as it's simple to check.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    one additional possibility (if it's a 6-speed), check the clutch safety switch down by the clutch pedal. I know mine is a little touchy and i've driven at least one other one that had a really touchy clutch safety switch. I think the other possibilitys listed above are more likely, but just didn't want to let this possibility slip through as it's simple to check.
    agree. i always forget the M6's cars lol.

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

I am having a similar issue, evrything comes on when key is turned but doesnt start or even try to start no sound no nothing. Now today it happened its very random and i stepped on the brake and it started. It seems there is some kind of switch behind or under the brake pedal?? I am one confused mama, is it maybe a security issue or like some of you said the key chip? Never though about that, but does this brake switch thing sound familiar to anyone? Also mine is aoutomatic, any info would be helpful thanks guys!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by my1stss View Post
    I am having a similar issue, evrything comes on when key is turned but doesnt start or even try to start no sound no nothing. Now today it happened its very random and i stepped on the brake and it started. It seems there is some kind of switch behind or under the brake pedal?? I am one confused mama, is it maybe a security issue or like some of you said the key chip? Never though about that, but does this brake switch thing sound familiar to anyone? Also mine is aoutomatic, any info would be helpful thanks guys!
    my understanding is that the brake switch will not allow the tranny to shift until it detedts that you depressed the brake pedal.
    I have an auto as well and I don't need to hit the brake pedal to start it up.
    Is the security light on when you have the issue? If it is then you are having an issue with VATS. It could be the chip in your key, the wire that comes from the key cylinder that goes to the BCM(they break with time) or the BCM itself.
    there is a write up about a fix but is only if you have the security light on:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262

If the security light is not on when you try to start the car then you could have issues with starter, starter relay or ignition switch.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-27-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP Conv.

When I turn the key, the security light comes on, but after about 5 seconds goes out, and then the car starts. I'll keep an eye on this and if it continues (after waiting the 5 seconds for the security light to go out), I'll check the voltage at the starter and also battery connections and the keys impedence.

Thanks to all for saving me $95 at the "dealership" for the "comprehensive troubleshoot".

How do I make a donation to this site?

CRN

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Cero's Roman Nose View Post

CRN
    I'll look into that for you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Cero's Roman Nose View Post

CRN
    Ed, our site's administrator, would like you know that donations aren't necessary here, but if you'd like to, you can paypal a donation to administrator@ls1.com. Donations will go towards paying our site's server fees.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Cutlass; 05-31-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP Conv.

I don't have PayPal. I did purchase some LS1 merchandise yesterday. I hope management gets some of that money...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS SLP Conv.

Strange happenings with this issue

This ONLY happens when I cold start in the morning. The starting problem is non existant during the driving day???? Strange. I still have to check the starter and solenoid.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

let us know your findings.

Thread Information