Thread: mazdaspeed6?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

mazdaspeed6?

anyone have any info or experience with a mazdaspeed6? i am possibly looking into one or a mazdaspeed3. the ms6 has a nicer interior and better options and what not and they seem to share the same motah. the mzr 2.3 di turbo'd 4.

any input would be nice. thanks

silver w/flames
    99 mustang

My wife had an 04 reg 6. I then heard about the ms6 and we ended up buying an 06. Picked it up on a friday night but returned it sunday. She said she didn't want to drive another standard. For the short while I drove it I really enjoyed it. It was decently quick and will run low 13s with a couple mods.
    99 35th GT: 5.0 stroker, twin 60 turbos, aeromotive return style fuel system, full suspension.
    575/563 @ 12lbs-adding more soon...

07 Trailblazer SS(wife's): 22s, 3200 stall, cammed and bolt ons, lowered. 405/405

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Not sure if all the speed6's are awd but a friend of mine had one that was. Im also pretty sure that all the speed3's are fwd. I have a couple of friends with those too. Obviously the 6 is gonna weigh more because its bigger so unless racing from a stop with the awd 6 the 3 should always be a lil quicker. Either can be pretty quick fairly easy. I raced one the other night from a 1st gear roll and a 2nd and it seemed to not get farther than my rear bumper till I was about mid 3rd, then it was disappearing fast . Not sure if this helps out but thats about all I know about em.

Edit: Youre not gonna trade the Z28 for one are you? If so then I have a feeling you wont be happy...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Speed 6 is a decent car. It was a tough choice between it and the subaru legacy I bought and they are eachothers direct competition being the same price, both AWD 4 doors and simiular power. I went with the subaru because my friends speed3 had oil consumption problems and after some research i found out it happens to alot of the 2.3 DI turbo engines and that they have some problems with there DI(direct injection) system. Another deciding factor for me was aftermarket. The legacy has the same engine as a STI just a different turbo and intake manifold so aftermarket parts are endless for the subaru as for the speed3 and 6 engine there is barely anything past a few bolt ons. Also the speed 6 has the engine mounted horizontally which means it has a transfer case and the AWD system is FWD bias and is only a 50/50 split when it stability control kicks in. Subaru AWD is 50/50 or 48/52( depending if its auto or manual) all the time.

But if you dont plan on modding it(which never happens on these turbo cars as they can gai nso much from so little) then you just have to worry about the reliability which isnt horrible but I have heard some bad stories. Though you hear bad stories about all cars.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hey thanks for the replies fellas!!!! good to see some peeps on here have had a first hand experience with em even tho it was for 2 days ahhahhaha. yeah Zinergy i remember you saying something about the oil consumption before. hmmmm gonna be tough decision. my brothers friend has a very nicely modded 08 ms3 and it is a very close race to our full bolt on cars. also no i dont plan on trading the camaro for one.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    hey thanks for the replies fellas!!!! good to see some peeps on here have had a first hand experience with em even tho it was for 2 days ahhahhaha. yeah Zinergy i remember you saying something about the oil consumption before. hmmmm gonna be tough decision. my brothers friend has a very nicely modded 08 ms3 and it is a very close race to our full bolt on cars. also no i dont plan on trading the camaro for one.
    Its easy to get 300-340whp out of a speed 3 but after that you need to start paying some serious money to make power.

Black
    2004 GTO

I have driven both a few times. I would go with a 6 over the 3. Like you said the interior and options are better. The 3's had a lot of torque steer, but with that a side both are not that bad IMO.

99 Formula

what are some issues on the speed 3 i have a buddy looking into 07-09 ms3's

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Its easy to get 300-340whp out of a speed 3 but after that you need to start paying some serious money to make power.
    yeah idk how much power he is making, he has never had a dyno tune but he writes his own tunes from his laptop. did you see the vids in the kill section? its dark out but you can still tell how close of a race it was

Quote Originally Posted by MNGTO View Post
    I have driven both a few times. I would go with a 6 over the 3. Like you said the interior and options are better. The 3's had a lot of torque steer, but with that a side both are not that bad IMO.
    thats kinda the way i am leaning. thanks for input guys!

guess i need to go jump on a mazdaspeed forum

Thread Information