Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Basically the wal mart story.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    One of the big problems with local mom and pop stores being unable to sell things for the same price as the big chains is volume. Large chains can broker deals for large amounts of products from the suppliers, and suppliers are willing to cut cost per item to sell larger amounts. Mom and pop stores can't do this. Most people want to save money (unfortunately without regard to quality), and buy items where they can get them the cheapest. Smaller stores suffer. They may carry parts of higher quality, but they cost more. When the majority of people opt for the cheaper parts, this also causes loss of business for the smaller stores. Sadly, it's a vicious circle which just comes back to bite everybody in the end.
    Very true. What I like about the little mom and pop stores, is they carry stuff I can't find at the big chains. That's the kind of service that keeps me coming back. So I spend a little more, I'm okay with that, I have it in my hand when I walk out rather than ordering and waiting.
    Not only that, but the old mom and pop stores tend to have stuff that big chain stores can't even get, or they are unwilling to get because as you say,,,they buy in bulk to save money.
    Plus these older stores (mom and pop) tend to have more knowledgable elderly people from my experiences, that have been around this stuff for 30-40 years and know exactly what you are looking for.

Unfortunately the old stores are drying up and being replaced with,,,well,,,,nevermind, it's just depressing to think about it.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Very true. What I like about the little mom and pop stores, is they carry stuff I can't find at the big chains. That's the kind of service that keeps me coming back. So I spend a little more, I'm okay with that, I have it in my hand when I walk out rather than ordering and waiting.
    Not only that, but the old mom and pop stores tend to have stuff that big chain stores can't even get, or they are unwilling to get because as you say,,,they buy in bulk to save money.
    Plus these older stores (mom and pop) tend to have more knowledgable elderly people from my experiences, that have been around this stuff for 30-40 years and know exactly what you are looking for.

Unfortunately the old stores are drying up and being replaced with,,,well,,,,nevermind, it's just depressing to think about it.
    Agree 100%.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Being replaced with kids at big chain parts stores that jave clapped out imports in the parking lot that run 12s with some NASSS! Or so they say. LoL
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    I am not trying to bash Advance,i like them and will buy from them first,but there is another option for those of us who are trying to save money on quality parts.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Wasn't trying to imply that you were bashing on them. I could give two shits about advance, I work for their competitor lol. I was just genuinely curious if the downtime was an issue for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Wasn't trying to imply that you were bashing on them. I could give two shits about advance, I work for their competitor lol. I was just genuinely curious if the downtime was an issue for you guys.
    Very rarely is the downtime an issue, I have other cars I can drive that allows me to work on something.

Where it becomes an issue for me is driving a car accross country, which we do frequently for vacation trips and such. I really don't like to build these cars with parts that I can't easily get at any local store. If I have a roadside misshap I need to be able to do the repairs. Waiting for parts to show up is not an option. But like I said, alot of the stores just don't stock much anymore.

In those instances what I tend to do is buy extra parts in advance of a long road trip that I know aren't easily obtainable. Parts that I know have a chance of failing on a long trip. I pack those parts along with necessary tools to change them if need be.
    If that means I have to carry $500 worth of parts with me, that's what I do. Better than calling a hook. Especially when you are out in the middle of the desert. These small town parts stores don't carry squat.
    I usually carry my own fuel pumps, water pumps, and ignition parts, 3-4 gallons of water etc....That's really all that's needed to keep a classic car running, very simple to work on and not much to it.

On a newer car it could be a whole slew of electrical items that kill the engine or at the very least cause issues, things get more complicated in those instances.

blue
    1999 pontiac firebird

I use to work at advance auto and the warranty on the parts they sell is limited lifetime. If the part goes bad they will replace it for free but the replacement part has a 90 day warranty.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

talking about not being able to get parts that are normal wear parts. i understand where most people come from, it seems like most of the parts people want we have to order them... but the way they look at it is supply and demand! they supply the stores with parts that are sold most often.... if they see that a part has sat on the shelf for years and they never sell it (why keep it there collecting dust when another store could be selling it)they take it back and replace it with a part that we didnt supply that has a high demand...

as for down time to me it is a big deal im in ohio and i drive my camaro in the summer but my winter car is back in michigan... if i need a part im not going to order it from rockauto or something similar because i NEED that part now... my cars get me to work, school, and home.... 99% of the time if my store doesnt have the part i can either get it next day at 7:30AM or i can pick it up from another local advance store... and i can always get my parts for less than i could ever find them online by some exploring...

what people dont do is search. i work at advance and everyone thinks that since i work there i get awesome discounts... well thats so wrong, 20% off isnt that good when they send coupons to your door that give customers just as good of a discount as us workers...

this is what i do to get the best deal i can.... i do a quick search online for advance auto parts coupons, if you look you can find some pretty awesome deals like $35 off of $80, what thats like 40% off right there... lets say for example your o2 sensor cost $80(before tax)(go to advances's website find your part) enter in your coupon code and what, you get that sensor for $45(before tax)!!! type in your zipcode to find a local store that stocks the o2 sensor select it for store pickup and buy it... wait like 30 minutes drive to the store and pick it up...

conclusion: you dont have to deal with the parts person(because everyone says they are just young jerks anyways and run NASSS), you get a great savings, and if you screw up on what you ordered you cant blame anyone but yourself id rather it be my fault then get mad at someone else because im a loyal person you treat me right i keep coming back but you f**k me once and ill probably never come back...

Thread Information