Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Advance also does price matching. I work nights there and yes i do know how to use the catalogs, and quickly. Most of the time i just choose not to because most customers are dicks.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by t/a98 View Post
    advance also does price matching. I work nights there and yes i do know how to use the catalogs, and quickly. Most of the time i just choose not to because most customers are dicks.
    i so agree ^^^^^^

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    Advance also does price matching. I work nights there and yes i do know how to use the catalogs, and quickly. Most of the time i just choose not to because most customers are dicks.

Yet another reason to buy from rockauto.com
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by 02transamce; 05-18-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Yet another reason to buy from rockauto.com
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yep, It's looking that way. A parts guy gets rubbed the wrong way and he won't do anything for you?? I don't know about you but my money spends anywhere.
    I find it hard to believe that "MOST" customers are dicks. Ever stop and think that it might be something you are doing T/A98???
    I also find it frustrating as a customer when these stores just simply don't carry anything past 5 years. I mean simple wear items too.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep, It's looking that way. A parts guy gets rubbed the wrong way and he won't do anything for you?? I don't know about you but my money spends anywhere.
    I find it hard to believe that "MOST" customers are dicks. Ever stop and think that it might be something you are doing T/A98???
    I also find it frustrating as a customer when these stores just simply don't carry anything past 5 years. I mean simple wear items too.
    Preaching to the choir here. Try not even having a decent hardware store close. There used to be some really good ones, but the big stores seem to have closed them down. I can't even find a place local that carries a decent selection of nuts and bolts/fasteners. Thankfully, I've been able to build a decent friendship with most of the guys/girls at the locak parts stores. Even they admit it's frustrating not having some parts, when they.are common wear items.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Preaching to the choir here. Try not even having a decent hardware store close. There used to be some really good ones, but the big stores seem to have closed them down. I can't even find a place local that carries a decent selection of nuts and bolts/fasteners. Thankfully, I've been able to build a decent friendship with most of the guys/girls at the locak parts stores. Even they admit it's frustrating not having some parts, when they.are common wear items.
    That's the truth. All the little mom and pop stores almost always have what I need, but they are slowly dissappearing thanks to the big chains.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's the truth. All the little mom and pop stores almost always have what I need, but they are slowly dissappearing thanks to the big chains.
    I agree BUT it's not just the chains, it's the people. I have a good friend that closed his hardware store after years of serving the area because all his "friends" shopped the big store instead of him to save a nickel on the stuff they each carried. These "friends" are the ones responsible because if they would have shopped his store, he'd still be in business. I always bought from him if he had an item because I knew he'd eventually lose if he didn't have support... which he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    I agree BUT it's not just the chains, it's the people. I have a good friend that closed his hardware store after years of serving the area because all his "friends" shopped the big store instead of him to save a nickel on the stuff they each carried. These "friends" are the ones responsible because if they would have shopped his store, he'd still be in business. I always bought from him if he had an item because I knew he'd eventually lose if he didn't have support... which he didn't.
    I know what you mean. I guess we could say it's the big chains that's attracting business away??

That's just one problem with this country that drives me nuts. Everyone wants a bargain and they don't care where they have to go to get it or even the quality of the part they are getting in some cases.
    To me, saving a few bucks isn't saving anything at all if I have to do it again in 3 months. Doesn't matter if the part has a lifetime warranty. My time is worth something too. Know what I mean?

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

^^^ Exactly the point I was trying to make. I didn't even think about my time but that's really important since I never seem to have enough of it.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Like i said i post 1,rockauto had the bosch fuel pump for $340 bucks and i paid $11 for shipping,it was here at my house 3 days later,Advance wanted $642 bucks for the same bosch pump,tax rate in Montgomery,AL is 10 cents on the dollar ($64 bucks) and i would have to wait for them to order it.would they match the price? I DOUBT IT!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

And i would probably be considered a dick customer for asking for a price match.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    And i would probably be considered a dick customer for asking for a price match.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    price matching isnt a big deal at all but advance cant match online prices most of the time... with me the only time i buy parts from my own store is when i NEED IT NOW! other times i find it cheaper online!

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    price matching isnt a big deal at all but advance cant match online prices most of the time... with me the only time i buy parts from my own store is when i NEED IT NOW! other times i find it cheaper online!
    I can understand that. Stores have alot of overhead to pay for. Internet doesn't. That's the difference in pricing.

My problem is though, I'd actually rather buy from a store, even if it's more money. I like to touch, feel, see what it is I'm buying before I plunk money down. Unfortunately most of the older parts I need aren't in the stores and have to be ordered anyway. You can't even get a decent rebuild kit for an alternator or starter anymore.
    Last time I asked for one the parts guy at the counter just looked at me a said,,,,,"nobody rebuilds those anymore, they just buy a new one"
    All an alternator consists of are diodes, brushes, and bearings. Considering the new ones look nothing like my old ones, and in most cases I'm not happy with the quality, some of the cases are cast aftermarket pieces and not even GM cases anymore. I prefer to keep my factory GM casings. I found that out recently with reman water pumps. The alternator mounting bracket boss wasn't cast in the correct position so they provide a spacer to make up the difference. No thanks. I Decided to rebuild the original instead. At least it fits like it's supposed to.

This is just the kind of crap I run into. Keep your original parts fellas, and rebuild them. Better quality in the long run.

Okay sorry, I'll get off my soap box now

Black
    1998 Trans Am

We do online alot.

And i get along with most customers. But it the people that come here and start yelling and making a scene because we dont have a radiator in stock for a 92 celebrity and other dumb stuff.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

How much fun is it to get stuff warrantied through an online store? Is the vehicle downtime worth it?

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

1) never had to.
    2) T/A is not my dd,so downtime is not a issue.

if you don't mind spending $300 more on the exact same part go right ahead,I am not rich so i have to spend my money wisely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I am not trying to bash Advance,i like them and will buy from them first,but there is another option for those of us who are trying to save money on quality parts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    How much fun is it to get stuff warrantied through an online store? Is the vehicle downtime worth it?
    What I find is that I'm not interested in lifetime warranties from the stores. Even if it's cheaper. So what if they replace the part for free a year from now. It's still a reman part most of the time manufactured in china. I still have to remove it and replace it again, plus my time running back and forth along with the gas spent, tag on what ever other shop supplies I need to use to do the job,,,,then the deal doesn't really look that good does it?
    I'd rather spend more money for an OEM part, preferably brand new, and do the job once. At least my odds are better.

That doesn't mean I prefer to buy online, because I don't. I just can't find what I want at the local parts stores anymore. To be honest, most of what I do now is on classic stuff, that's all I care to drive nowadays. So restoring one is 99% mail order anyway unless you are lucky enough to live up the street from Paddock, Year one, or Classic Industries. If quality isn't up to snuff I send it back. Pain in the rump.
    Like I said before, I prefer to buy local at a store, but it's just getting more and more difficult to do that now.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

In our free market system you must be competitive.
    I buy my Mobil 1 from wal mart.

Why?

Because it costs me less money for the same product.Would i order something online i could get locally for around the same price? Hell no.
    Would i order something online that i could buy locally for a considerable price savings? Hell yes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

One of the big problems with local mom and pop stores being unable to sell things for the same price as the big chains is volume. Large chains can broker deals for large amounts of products from the suppliers, and suppliers are willing to cut cost per item to sell larger amounts. Mom and pop stores can't do this. Most people want to save money (unfortunately without regard to quality), and buy items where they can get them the cheapest. Smaller stores suffer. They may carry parts of higher quality, but they cost more. When the majority of people opt for the cheaper parts, this also causes loss of business for the smaller stores. Sadly, it's a vicious circle which just comes back to bite everybody in the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information