Get used to tha view!

Kill story from a newbie.

Hey how's it going everybody? I'm new to this forum and figured i would start off by saying hey and then a nice kill story for your enjoyment. I own a 99' M6 Z28 basically stock with a Whisper Lid and a Cutout.

I was in the parking lot hanging out with friends a few Saturday nights ago and i was watching the usual bunch of 4cyl guys revving up and showing off thier stereos and little tv's and what not. Then i see a 99-04 bodystyle GT pull up and park. My buddy talks me into going over and seeing if he wanted to race. Peer pressures a bitch.

After talking to him for a little while we head off to a back road and line up. My buddy is in another car and i have my ex-girlfriend with me in the passenger seat. The guy told me he had 4.10's, intake, exhaust, short throw, and he had some monsterious nitto's on the back.

We take off, he jump's out 2 cars on me before i even get the clutch fully released. Damn.... I snatched 2nd and gained 1 back instantly. I take 3rd up to 92mph and i'm at his bumper. After i hit 4th im pulling slowly up but it was not enough to take the win. Just as i was about to pass him he hits his breaks "calling the 1/4". Whatever...

We go a second time, i tell my ex to get out while we race again. We take off and he's spinning. After a hard, hard throw into 2nd the Z turn's loose and i actually start pulling. 3rd made 2 cars and 4th complimented another 1/2. Haha.

Anyway i seen him at the track next week and we both ran. His time 13.5 @104. Well my time: 13.4 @107. That was with a 2.4 60' and almost nailing the wall. So all in all i got the 2 out of 3 and the LS1 triumph's!

Quick question though... Any of you guys out there have the stock 235's the Z comes with and trying to get a decent launch? If you are, please give some advice on doing it because i was trying to come off the clutch at 1,100rpms and that shit aint working.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

i thought that for '98's and up they came stock with 16" 245's. Thats what mine came with, and then i got 17" 275's. are you spinning when you come off the clutch at 1,100 rpm or is it taking off like you would at a stop light? My best advice is, if you know its a car you can smoke...such as a civic or something of the sort, take off the traction control, rev it to like 3 grand and dump the clutch. If its something like this guys GT, then i would reccomend leaving on the traction control and bringing the rpms to about 2 grand and dump the clutch/come off of it quickly. you'll still spin, but you'll still hook. Hope this helps.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Mine still has the 245/50/16's on it. I come off the line at about 2,000. I don't hold it there though. I keep it revved until go time, then I let off the clutch, let the engine bog just enough to know I'm not spinning, then I jump right back in it.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Yeah My 94 Stock Came With 245's I Think Anything After 93 Did

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

who said leave on TCS???? that's just retarded. gotta learn to allow the car to grab before opening the throttle. it's hard, i know-too much adrenaline etc. but you gotta discipline yourself to let the cars momentum "spool" first

Get used to tha view!
    Yeah my car doesnt even come with traction control. And for some reason it has 235's on there, there about worn out anyway. Although it is fun to be able to spin 2nd and 3rd, then bark 4th. Damn launch sucks though...

Quote Originally Posted by jgriff
    After a hard, hard throw into 2nd the Z turn's loose and i actually start pulling. 3rd made 2 cars and 4th complimented another 1/2. Haha.
    Nice runs, and welcome!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

so dipherentdesign....how do you do that...just come off the clutch a little slower? or do you dump the clutch and hope you hook? Im used to driving a awd twin turbo so i never had to deal with hookin or not.

Thread Information