Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    Click for full size

all done
    hey whats all that jive hangin down from under the passenger side dash?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Jeez wtf man!

silver
    2000 formula

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    hey whats all that jive hangin down from under the passenger side dash?
    have not put on the side panel from my autotrix window fix install......made it handy when i had to reach up under the glovebox to pull the wire harness off the stock radio

White
    2001 Camaro SS

where did you get the posi locks from I can't find them anywhere

silver
    2000 formula

i bought those at wal mart a long time ago.....but WM does not sell them anymore.....you can get them from ebay....amazon...or the posi lock company website.....they were cheapest off of amazon......they are not cheap.......but well worth it......they are reusable .....quick....and a posi.....tive connection

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

looks good nice work. it gettin time for me 2 dothis also , i really want to go double din but dont know how much of a PITA it will be

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Excellent job on the writeup! I'd like to contribute some extra information to the thread I hope you don't mind. Just a couple things I learned when I did mine that may help others that are contemplating giving this a shot.

1. There are other companies that make wheel control interface boxes. Just in case future thread viewers want options they are out there. I have the PAC SWI-PS unit for my Pioneer HU. works perfect and can be had for under 40 bucks.

2. Metra isn't the only company out there making mounting hardware for these cars. I have a custom one. they cost a bit more but can be had in a variety of designs that complement the vehicle nicely. As I don't believe the guy making these is a sponsor here I will leave him nameless as I'm not sure the policy on such things. To be honest I can't even recall the name of the site so if anyone were interested google is indeed your friend.

3. I know you are concerned with retaining your bracket in the event you should need to reinstall the factory stereo at resale time... but to save time and effort for others that aren't concerned with ever putting a factory stereo back, a dremel will take off plenty of that bracket quickly and leave enough room to install the stereo.

4. lastly the posi locks look nice but if they are unavailable, as an alternative that is also fairly easy to work with and gives a perfectly clean install you can get butt splices from home depot. They have a solder ring inside and only need a heat source as simple as a lighter to melt the solder and shrink the heat shrink material. (If you are using a lighter it can be easy to burn them but after one or two you get the hang of how to sweep it so you wont burn them)

I'll end with a couple pics of my head unit. This is a Pioneer DEH-P800PRS head unit with the custom made mounting bracket. The face of the bracket is a textured metal and the light up section is a piece of amber colored glass with bulbs behind it (LEDs were available but bulbs more closely resemble the interior lighting of a pontiac) This year I will likely wire a switch into the lights so that I can leave them lit while the car is not running at shows.

I should say that it looks like a different color in pictures. In person there is almost no difference in color on the lighting. It's just a bit brighter which throws it off in pics.
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 03-20-2011 at 01:06 AM.

silver
    2000 formula

in doing research on steering wheel interfaces i found that the AXXESS unit was the most simple to install.......and boy was it......1 wire and plug it in and your done....no codes to enter... no special sequence of buttons to push......its better than a EASY button....not to concerned about that bracket.........it looks like the stock unit does not even need it any way.......the stocker mainly sits on the bottom shelf of that dash piece......the best thing about POSI LOCKS is they install easy......its a 100% positive connection......they remove easy without any cutting or damage to the wire.....AND reusable.......i have seen those lighted faceplates....they sure look nice.........I WANT 1

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

excellent write up flush install kit looks 10 times better than the raised

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Thanks. Good info with pics are always apriciated.

Coronetj
    lelmloohync

Head Unit install in pics

Just wanted to see if you were still interested in the head unit as it will be coming out this weekend.

- Fred

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

I'd save your money if you hadn't already bought that Imprint kit. I bought one and it SUCKS!!! It made my system sound horrible. I was better off just tuning it myself.

silver
    2000 formula

Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    I'd save your money if you hadn't already bought that Imprint kit. I bought one and it SUCKS!!! It made my system sound horrible. I was better off just tuning it myself.
    so you have it for sale.......real cheap??

blue
    1999 TransAm

nice write up -thanks... hopefully i can get to doing this because my stock HU is horrible (need a USB input or something), and my speakers are just about all done.

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

very nice how hard was it to plug all that in???

silver
    2000 formula

Quote Originally Posted by cancam99ss View Post
    very nice how hard was it to plug all that in???
    not hard at all......get ya 1 n......git r dun

LPM
    2000 Z28

Good writeup. I agree though. We need one for a double din. Wish I took pictures as I did mine.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

Black
    2001 Tans Am

Hey SJ!

I was hoping to get a little bit of help from you as I've just installed a new HU into my 2001 Trans Am and my experience is identical to your guide here.

I have two main questions:

1) Whether or not you know what the second set/harness of wires is for on the very right in this picture? (I installed my new HU and all I ended up using was the first set/harness of wires on the left)
    Click for full size
    2) If you could provide a little assistance with the Axxess steering wheel control unit?

I purchased a PAC SWI-Jack and it was WAY too complicated. The Axxess looks quite a bit easier.

My questions with the Axxess unit are whether you spliced the Axxess unit's red & black wires into the red & black wires of the set/harness for power, and finally what wire did you pull out of the OEM harness (below) to connect with a wire of the Axxess unit for the control function? (Looks like you used a pink wire on the Axxess unit and a blue wire from the OEM harness?)
    Click for full size
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by lonewulf; 04-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Black
    2001 Tans Am

After doing some more research I have discovered that the second plug, on the right, is for an optional CD changer. The other end of the plug can be found taped to speaker wire harness of the driver's side rear hatch speaker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information