Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Exclamation Kooks True Dual Exhaust

With the new engine coming along and most of the parts already decided i'm now turning back to suspension. I already have most of the suspension done (LCA's, Adj. Panhard, Adj, Torque Arm, Adj, Upper/Lower A-Arms) but i know with the Torque arm relocation off the transmission i will run into a problem with my current exhaust as i'm only clearing it by 1/4". I'm currently running TSP TDs 3" system off Kooks LTs. Now the way the TSP's are designed is the X-Pipe crosses right under the TA with both pipes running parallel down each side of the car. I came across this new exhaust from Kooks and wondering if this would be better for the suspension mods, clearence etc. I do have minor clearance issues now.

This is what i found so far on the TD system and was wondering if anyone heard anything about this system (good/bad, sound, fit etc.) and if it is worth the money seeing that i already have a TD setup already.

Kooks 3" True Dual Catback Exhaust without cats- 1998-2002 Camaro and Firebird (LS1)

Kooks has done it again! Utilizing the finest air craft quality 304 grade stainless steel, Kooks has released their 3” True Dual Exhaust System for the 1998-2002 Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebirds. The system is completely 3” and breathes through an X-Pipe, Kooks Racing Polished Mufflers and Four- 4 Inch Polished Slash Cut Tips. This new Dual System is capable of handling over 1200 horsepower and when paired with Kooks Long-Tube Headers it is sure to be the best bolt-on you do, on your 4th generation F-Body! The dual exhaust comes either with high flow race cats or with off-road front pipes. The system is designed to clamp on the end of Kooks Long-tube headers. A BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop Part#DSL001 and a BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit Part# PHR004 are required when installing this system (not included).

Kooks has done it again! Utilizing the finest air craft quality 304 grade stainless steel, Kooks has released their 3” True Dual Exhaust System for the 1998-2002 Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebirds. The system is completely 3” and breathes through an X-Pipe, Kooks Racing Polished Mufflers and Four- 4 Inch Polished Slash Cut Tips. This new Dual System is capable of handling over 1200 horsepower and when paired with Kooks Long-Tube Headers it is sure to be the best bolt-on you do, on your 4th generation F-Body! The dual exhaust comes either with high flow race cats or with off-road front pipes. The system is designed to clamp on the end of Kooks Long-tube headers. A BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop Part#DSL001 and a BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit Part# PHR004 are required when installing this system (not included).

Looks very well put together with maximum clearance through all mandrel 3" piping.

Price: $1599.95

Opinions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'm curious how loud that sumbitch is going to be!

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I'm curious how loud that sumbitch is going to be!
    My current setup is very similar to that, TD's through 2 18" billet mufflers mandrel bent rear exit all through Kooks 1 7/8" headers and it SCREEEEEEAMS lol

I love the way my exhaust sounds now and i really don't want to get rid of it if i don't have to BUT with the power ill be running i'll need a diesel suspension setup and my current exhaust has horrible clearance.

blue
    2001 WS6

I would love to have that system...Just Do IT!!!
    Did u see the KOOK's video of a T/A w/that system??
    Last edited by 20ws6speed01; 02-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    I would love to have that system...Just Do IT!!!
    Did u see the KOOK's video of a T/A w/that system??
    YES! I just watched it! They made a tight system and sounds awesome... The tips look hardcore sticking out the rear too!

blue
    2001 WS6

I should have gotten KOOK's LT ...then i could run that system..

Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    I should have gotten KOOK's LT ...then i could run that system..
    I dunno why they say you need the Kooks LTs... Aren't the collectors on most headers the same????

I might pick the system up when the car is almost complete to keep the under carriage clean and have all the piping tight to the body cuz right now my TDs go under the axel giving me some clearance issues

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    I dunno why they say you need the Kooks LTs... Aren't the collectors on most headers the same????

I might pick the system up when the car is almost complete to keep the under carriage clean and have all the piping tight to the body cuz right now my TDs go under the axel giving me some clearance issues
    Some collectors are 2.5" I think.

Do you still have the stock panhard bar? Makes TD's easier if you get the relocation setup for the panhard bar. It kinda looks like they do in that pick.

Black
    '98 Z28

Very nice system. Not a fan of the tips, think they look too big. Also, would love to see some oval options for us Camaro owners.

blue
    2001 WS6

The size..how they connect..& where they line up...

I've seen that setup before, relatively new to the market. A bit on the pricey side.

You can do a Bassani true dual about half that price...

Or better yet,,,,go with a 4 inch Mufflex single catback for ~$500

I'm not knocking Kooks,,,but I can think of alot of other things I'd rather spend $1600 on, and make a bigger HP improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've seen that setup before, relatively new to the market. A bit on the pricey side.

You can do a Bassani true dual about half that price...

Or better yet,,,,go with a 4 inch Mufflex single catback for ~$500

I'm not knocking Kooks,,,but I can think of alot of other things I'd rather spend $1600 on, and make a bigger HP improvement.
    Oh i agree completely. Was just speculating about at the very end of the build completion. I currently have TSP TD's which work and run perfectly fine. The only thing this system would offer me that i dont have is being form fitting to the car and exhaust tips which i was eventually going to get but not important. $1600 is a bit extreme for a TD setup tho....

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    Very nice system. Not a fan of the tips, think they look too big. Also, would love to see some oval options for us Camaro owners.
    Tips i think fit well if you look at them on the video. This photo's of the tips I initally thought they would be way too gaudy looking but after seeing the video i think they work well

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

can i get just the tips???

Black
    '98 Z28

Video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRTLdyzfxs[/ame]

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Dear God that sounded AWESOME! lol I want it but I wonder how much ground clearance it has vs a standard ORY setup.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Dear God that sounded AWESOME! lol I want it but I wonder how much ground clearance it has vs a standard ORY setup.
    Looks like the same to me, if not better.

That price is that hardest thing to get over.

I'm also curious what the catted option sounds like. I HATE rasp.

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Looks like the same to me, if not better.

That price is that hardest thing to get over.

I'm also curious what the catted option sounds like. I HATE rasp.
    The price is a bit hard to swallow... I know there headers are top notch and will usually runyou $8xx-$1xxx, but ther whole system should go for no more then $1500 IMO... Maybe the price will come down eventually because i will need to get this once i do the motor swap and that price makes me nautious....

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The price is a bit hard to swallow... I know there headers are top notch and will usually runyou $8xx-$1xxx, but ther whole system should go for no more then $1500 IMO... Maybe the price will come down eventually because i will need to get this once i do the motor swap and that price makes me nautious....
    Kooks is the product I'll be getting. I'd rather wait addition years to save for them, vs going a different product.

1. Kooks headers + kooks TD = ~ $2500

or

2. Kooks headers + kooks catted y + magnaflow catback = ~ $2100

So I ask myself, is $400 worth TD? Plus, option 2 can be done is stages.

I also agree, it would nice if you they offered a whole package deal, headers + TD setup for 2k.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

I want to know if a big 9" rear or a Moser M9 will fit with the mandrel 3" pipes, and will this kit have any problems with other mods.

I have an APS Twin Turbo kit, I wonder how this kit lines up and how much modification I would have to do to this kit and or my downpipes to make this fit.

What is the lowest you can lower your car before stuff starts hitting on the top?

I dont think ground clearance will be an issue whatsoever because the pictures and video make it look like it is tucked better then all the other true duals out there.

I know its really pricey but the quality is there for me, if it doesnt cause me any problems with future upgrades then I am willing to pay evey penny.
    Last edited by fil131; 05-30-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information