Thread: Should I?

Black
    94Z28 00RamAir

Talking Should I?

I'm installing a new cam from comp and going to install some new springs from comp also but should i stick with the factory rockers or go with the larger comp 1.8 or 1.85..?? Will i see that big of a difference? I'll post the cam specs when i get the box in front of me but i was wondering what kind of hp i should get from this. Thanx for your input.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

stick with the factory rocker arms.
    depending on youre cam size, the 1.85 rockers could cause you a world of hurt if you dont fly cut the pistons.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Everyone talks bad about aftermarket rockers. You also have to be careful about different length pushrods when you change ratio. Stay stock IMO.

Black
    94Z28 00RamAir

Ok found the specs of the cam-.571 .572 no advance in it with duration at .050 228/230 with 112 lsa. What is factory lift with the ls1? I have a 2000 Ram Air i just don't have a reference point. Will i notice a difference from the stock cam to this? I know i'll need new springs and i appreciate the input for the rocker arms. I did not know they just are torqued into place. Got this for $200 being a discarded cam. Couldn't say no to that price.

Black
    94Z28 00RamAir

Should i consider new pushrods maybye? This car has 93,000 in it. Would a new timing chain also be advisable or am i worrying toooo much..??

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

i would change it all while you're in there ...pushrods, springs, timing chain, lifters, seats, retainers, valve seals...all of it. thats just me though
    Last edited by snake_skinner00; 03-20-2006 at 05:28 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Do you still have the stock heads? If you are changing heads, retainers, seats, seals, springs would be all new anyway. You should definetly be putting in heavier springs like the 918's with that cam. With your mileage, new valve seals makes sense. Be sure to check clearance between your retainers and the seals though at max lift!

Speaking of lift, .571 is with 1.7 rockers, which would be .604 with 1.8's and .621 with 1.85's. I think you'd be fine with the stockers, as you'll risk piston/valve clearance with too much more lift.

Pushrods are a weak link, so you'll want to find out what is the proper length for the heads, cam and rockers you'll be running, then get hardened pushrods of the proper length.

Seats is just plain overkill thogh in my opinion. If you are going to do any machine work on your heads, get them ported and have a good quality valvejob done by a modern performance machine shop. They'll be able to tell you if the seats are questionable or not, and if you have to replace the seats, you may as well find out about bigger valves at the same time. Personally, if my heads needed that much work, I'd at least look into an aftermarket ported head with bigger valves, etc.

And lastly, you are adding nearly 30 degrees duration at .050" lift, so you are going to notice a big, big difference.

Good Luck!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Black
    94Z28 00RamAir

I was also thinking about some ported LS6 heads since the car will be broken down that far. I checked into ls1howto.com and got alot of great info from that site. I'm going to start researching exhaust and see what i can find there. I will go ahead and replace everything just to be safe. I'd like to wake this Ram Air up a little more and have a blast with it. Thanx for all of your help everyone. I'm still a newbie on LS1 stuff but i'm a fast learner...

Thread Information