rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

flameproof ceramic paint(spray)

I've had a can of this VHT flameproof ceramic paint spray from autozone sitting in my garage and have always wondered how effective it is. Now that my headers came in I'm considering using it before I put them in. I ask because I've heard that headers raise engine bay temps(especially ones such as my stainless steel headers) and i'm hoping this stuff is a cheap solution. Anyone had any experience with this stuff?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

subscribed.

I could be a lot more help if I was able to get to where my car is currently stored, but I'll say this much from memory.

I used 2 or 3 coats of the VHT stuff on the outside of my headers, topped off with some of the High Temp Clear (I think it was rated at 1500 degrees) and if memory serves I even LIGHTLY sprayed a little onto the inside of the headers as they looked much worse inside than outside when I got them from Pacesetter.
    Now it is two years later and I can't say that my under hood temps have gone up significantly with headers vs the previous manifolds...I really can't say I pay that much attention to the under hood temp so long as it is within the normal range though.
    As to durability, I do see some light rust starting to show through around the welds, but not much.

BTW they were Pacesetter's coated headers to begin with, and I preped the surface with only a VERY light sanding and proper wipe down. There has been no chipping or peeling of the VHT, but the headers did get a few nasty scratches during installation....I can't speak for how gentle or rough the garage that did the install was, but I would guess the VHT is NOT very scratch resistant.

I doubt the VHT is a miracle product, but it certainly seems to have done no harm. Without having a second set of unpainted (coated) headers to compare to mine, I really can't say what effect there has been on heat though or durability.
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 01-15-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

^thanks for the that. Also if my stainless headers don't have any coating on them, would it make a big difference on their expected life if I did?

Perhaps....it definetly couldn't hurt, but I doubt it will make a BIG difference, as I suspect they will just rust through from the inside.

From all appearances, my slight rust spots that have started showing are either coming through from the inside, OR some rust formed between the bare steel and the ceramic coating and is working its way out from there.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

im pretty sure he is asking about stainless steel, which wont rust. he wants to coat them just to keep the temps down.

pewterz55 > There are several different grades of stainless steel, & not all are created equal.

A High quality stainless steel (like you might see good golf clubs, or high end exhaust tips built out of) will indeed be VERY rust resistant.
    But other grades of stainless steel are far inferior and can rust badly (even disintegrate) over time. ... I have personally seen several "all stainless steel construction" exhuast systems rust right off of vehicles in the past.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

well seeing as how I live in texas where we don't have salted roads/tons of rain is it still safe to assume that these ebay headers are probably going to rust? If so then I might just go ahead and get these headers coated professionally.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Stainless headers don't need ceramic coating. Stainless holds heat in better than mild steel to begin with. Had my Ebay headers on for 6 years now, no rust and no ill heat effects.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Stainless headers don't need ceramic coating. Stainless holds heat in better than mild steel to begin with. Had my Ebay headers on for 6 years now, no rust and no ill heat effects.
    That's VERY good to hear, thanks

Thread Information