Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by g2dab View Post
    Lol, having previously been involved in the import scene, I can enlighten you on these mysteries!

First, every modded import owner will respond with "intake and exhaust" when asked what he has done to his car. i guess everything else is considered some kind of secret, lol. As for what mods he actually had, I won't speculate on that - there are tons of options, forced induction or N/A. I will guarantee that if you didnt pull him hard with a 12 sec Camaro, he definitely had more than an intake and exhaust.

The blued exhaust tips come that way from the manufacturer on most aftermarket exhausts with titanium tips, makes it look good, but definitely doesn't mean he was running alc/meth. That's pretty rare - but blued exhaust tips are very common.

And the mysterious black puff accompanied by the change in exhaust tone is the good one. What you witnessed on that day was the engaging of VTEC. Somehow, Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control, became VTEC. I guess "VVTLEC" doesn't exactly 'roll off the tongue' in quite the same fashion. Anyway - at a certain rpm, usually around 4800-ish, the VTEC engages the secondary (read: larger) lobes on the cams to increase high rpm performance. This results in the normally docile-sounding 4-banger actually sounding kinda mean, especially with a GOOD aftermarket exhaust, like one from APEXi - nice and throaty instead of typical rice. This also results in a moment of rich AFR during the transition, which is where the black puff comes from.

I know alot of ppl disagree with "honda" and "sounds mean" being in the same sentence, but hey, keep this in mind: it could be a Mazda RX-7 with open headers.. YUCK.

Well hopefully I didn't make myself look like a complete retard with my first post ever! Now that I have shared some knowledge that no one with a V8 cares about - I look forward to learning the way of the big engines from you gentlemen. That's a fair trade, right?

Welcome to the darkside

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by PainIs4ThaWeak View Post
    Not quite, check it out: http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/VTEC/

The 06+ Si's weigh 2,886lbs in the coupe trim, and 2,945lbs in the sedan trim. (Not that +/- 100lbs really makes a difference on a vehicle that puts down ~180fwhp stock, when compared to something LSx powered.)

I own one of these actually. Eaton MP62 blown @ 9psi, and I'll have to say its not exactly slow. On a 9psi pulley, we've seen guys put down low 13's in the 1/4 ( edit: no links to other forums please.....0rion )
    Annnnnd.... *Flame suit on* :giggle:
    Cool story bro...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by PainIs4ThaWeak View Post
    Not quite, check it out: http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/VTEC/

The 06+ Si's weigh 2,886lbs in the coupe trim, and 2,945lbs in the sedan trim. (Not that +/- 100lbs really makes a difference on a vehicle that puts down ~180fwhp stock, when compared to something LSx powered.)

I own one of these actually. Eaton MP62 blown @ 9psi, and I'll have to say its not exactly slow. On a 9psi pulley, we've seen guys put down low 13's in the 1/4 ( edit: no links to other forums please.....0rion )
    Annnnnd.... *Flame suit on* :giggle:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Nope, not the same at all. Dod shuts off cylinders making a v8 a v4. VVT makes more hp by opening valves more and at the right time to make more effecient power, DOD makes less power because your running on less cylinders but you get better mpg.

actually it is kind of the same, new gm v8 trucks with afm have variable valve timing as well by controlling oil pressure to a camshaft acuator.

they just dont change cam lobes

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    actually it is kind of the same, new gm v8 trucks with afm have variable valve timing as well by controlling oil pressure to a camshaft acuator.

they just dont change cam lobes
    Yes they have VVT but its not the same as DOD. DOD is purely for mpg reasons not performance. VVT is for performance and power without sacraficing too much mpg but it still creates more air flow which requires more fuel it just does it in the most effiecent way possible. Like i said many many engines have VVt these days but only honda puts vtec on the sides and emblems of there cars.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes they have VVT but its not the same as DOD. DOD is purely for mpg reasons not performance. VVT is for performance and power without sacraficing too much mpg but it still creates more air flow which requires more fuel it just does it in the most effiecent way possible. Like i said many many engines have VVt these days but only honda puts vtec on the sides and emblems of there cars.
    Yeah i gotcha, i know afm isnt for performance just stating that gm afm uses the same thing to kill cylinders as it does for the vvt

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Maybe we could say DOD is the ultimate VTEC?

"Look, my VTEC turns my 4 cyl car into a V8!"

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Maybe we could say DOD is the ultimate VTEC?

"Look, my VTEC turns my 4 cyl car into a V8!"
    Lol.. Except your car would only be a v8 when your v-tec is off. People would be what was that "V-tec just shut off yo!"

black
    1998 camaro

my mom has a 08 si there fun cars but isnt near as fast as a camaro. i would think if hes not boosted hes probaly full bolt ons and a shot. and the si doesnt go anywhere unless its in vtec

Green (yuck!)
    1995 Camaro LT1 T56

Thanks for the kind welcomes!

Thank you gentlemen for the kind welcomes! There is TONS of great info on this site, and friendly ppl too - beats the import scene/forums, that's for sure! I still don't hate imports of course, well, not all of them anyway - I like cars period. An all wheel drive WRX running 450whp on E85 with 28psi is awesome, but unlike most import guys I've always loved that pure V8 torque - where you hit the gas pedal at 2k rpm and the whole car twists as the ass end kicks out, flaming the tires. Fast is Fast, country of origin and number of cylinders doesn't really matter to me.

Hopefully I'll be adding some kill stories on here myself soon. I look forward to the knowledge you guys have to share. Just have some kinks to work out in the Z - I got a 95 LT1 T56 with 90k for 3500 so I can deal with the fact that it has a stock intake and 3" exhaust...

Just got some work to do, lol. Okay - no more thread jackin, sorry!

Nice kill on what was obviously a heavily modded Civic - He definitely had alot of work done. Full bolt ons for sure, and prolly cams or a shot of spray also. Im thinking you would have heard it if it was boosted, so N/A he must have went all out to run with ya.

Thread Information