Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

Ebay Turbo on a Vortec 5.3

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so I'm gonna start out by sayin' hey. Lol. I own a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 vortec paired to a 4L60E. The mods I have done to it are magnaflow cats, 3" piping to a flowmaster super 44, back to 4" tips.

Here's the question I have. On Ebay there's a kit (link at the bottom) that comes with two twin turbo housing, some piping, and a bunch of other stuff. I have a pretty good grasp on the concept of a turbo since after reading a couple books and doing research, but the question is, is this worth it?

I wanna go with a turbo because I LOVE the sound of it. I've looked into superchargers. They're great and all for their instant power, but they just aren't what I want.

I'm also curious about the tuning of my truck after I do bolt one of these kits on.

Thanks,

John.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3875wt_1165

2004,2008 triumph 675 SE

Im not sure what kinda power levels your after but this guy makes some nice kits and I have the same truck as you and know his stuff works great on our trucks. Another great site to check out is performancetrucks.net.

http://www.trickperformanceproducts....rbo_stage1.htm

Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

I'm not looking for an insane amount of power. I was hoping to just break 400. I'm really only getting the turbo for the sound, lol.

white
    2000 Z28

its a partial kit. no hot pipe whatsoever from what i saw, from headers to intercooler inlet. that is assuming that it comes with everything needed with the cold pipes too. yea your truck has lots of engine bay room but the wrong fittings are still the wrong fittings. no fuel system upgrades. pretty much looks like turboes, 1 blow off valve, the intercooler with partial intake plumbing, and turbo intake filters. look up the aps twin turbo set. that is the only complete front mount kit ive seen. on their site they have a pic of all parts. compare it to the ebay pic. lots of stuff missing.

Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

Thanks man. Yeah, I figured it was missing a lot of stuff. I was just curious if it was worth buying the kit for that cheap, and buying what ever else I needed separate. But I'll definitely look up that kit you mentioned.

white
    2000 Z28

i have no clue on whether aps did a system for trucks but i heard the camaro/firebird kit is no longer in production. i used that as a reference for parts needed.

Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

Yeah, they made a kit but wayyy out of my budgit range. That's why I resorted to eBay for a kit. Thanks for the reference though. Here's my next question though, what's the first upgrade I should focus on after installing a turbo system to make everything work flawlessly?

white
    2000 Z28

fuel system before the turbo imo. even if its just for the sound get the fuels system to where its not your weak point with reliability. tranny upgrades will be needed. tranny cooler and maybe a rebuild to handle the power better. both are musts before the turbo. low boost (under 7 psi) and no beating on the vehicle should last a good while. but boost is still extra wear and tear on the motor no matter what. but after the install will need good tuning. tuning is and always will be needed for everything to run well and reliable. being in maryland, that means you are close to frost. well respected and highly recommended tuner in your area. he will get you taken care of without a doubt with his tuning.

white
    2000 Z28

another note, cheap and forced induction dont play well with eachother.

Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

Wow. I really appreciate all the feed back. Is frost the performance shop? And where is it located if so? And, I understand that last note, I just don't have 7 grand to throw out for a turbo system. Lol.

2004,2008 triumph 675 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Syperium View Post
    Wow. I really appreciate all the feed back. Is frost the performance shop? And where is it located if so? And, I understand that last note, I just don't have 7 grand to throw out for a turbo system. Lol.
    Did you ever click the link I posted? That is a proven kit for 2K. Your not gonna beat that.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by markarvidson View Post
    Did you ever click the link I posted? That is a proven kit for 2K. Your not gonna beat that.
    still needs upgraded fuel system and tuning. which again tuning is the most important part. frost is a member on this site. his shop site is http://tunedbyfrost.com. he can get you taken care of.
    Last edited by 00z28bubba; 11-14-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

Yeah, I forgot the pricing of it. 2 grand is decent. It'll just take a little while, lol. And thanks for Frost's link.

white
    2000 Z28

no problem bro, good luck with the build.

Summit White
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado

Thanks man, really appreciate the input. I'll keep you all updated.

Thread Information