Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Holy Grail of Lube

We all know about oils. Filters. Used Oil Analysis etc. And it is good.
    However......in search of the lubrication Nirvana we must face some facts.

It is not the 20 micron and above particles called out in the UOA's that cause the most wear and damage. No....it is the super fine particles that UOA labs do not even count as they have no ability to do so. It is the finer particles that grind on your bearings. The best oil filters will not touch this stuff and it just flows right through the filter.

Further....it is known the significant amount of engine/bearing wear occurs at start up. Our oil pump is driven by the crank. I know about film strength et al. Fact is when we start our engines our bearings have no lube for a few seconds. This is where most wear occurs.

So we are screwed? I don't think so. I smell a project

I have significant data/documentation on my 2007 Silverado. 75K miles on her. Now we just installed a cam and new valve assembly. So now is a good time as any for this project.

I want to address the finer particle wear first. So I went searching for a bypass oil solution. Big rigs have been using these for years. So nothing new. So off I go to research.

If you Google Oil Filter Bypass and Per Oiler.....step back cuz you will find many. Marine and Diesel applications mainly. After researching and wearing out the Google button.....I am convinced this Amsoil rig is what I need.
    https://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/index.aspx

Now I see a pre oiler that will fit right into or on this bypass filter. So I am addressing both issues with one solution. I hate plumbing and this seems to reduce installation and provides me with one single unit to address both the by pass filtration and the pre oiler issues.

So here it is. I am going to get our fellow member and friend here Compsyn and buy this setup from him and install it on my Silverado. Then I am going to do some comparison before and after.

I am struggling with exactly how to do this "comparison" as UOA's would probably be worthless. I am curious of other aspects of the UOA will reveal some other parameters I could/should be checking. TAN/TBN/ etc.
    Properties of the oil versus just element count. So I am working on that.

But in the meantime I am going to purchase and install this setup in my quest of the perfect lube setup.

I'll update as I go along here.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like an interesting project. Subscribed.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Jeff. I am interested to see the results.

As long as the car manufacturers don't get wind of this and decide to take Sarge out for cutting into their profits.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

very interesting stuff. I will keep an eye for updates.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well shit. Looks like Amsoil doesnt make their setup anymore. Lemme check and put something together with an Accusump.....

Impounded
    gmcheviac

That engine (in stock form atleast) will stay nice way longer than the vehicle. How many miles do you think you'll run the truck?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

It is not about longevity. It is about efficiencies. An efficient motor runs better/better MPG/More Power etc.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Gotcha. Can you explain how the setup works? electric pump pumps oil from the bypass filters into adapter between oil filter and block maybe? Just trying to figure out the pre-luber

Thumbs up By-Pass/Pre-Oiler

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Gotcha. Can you explain how the setup works? electric pump pumps oil from the bypass filters into adapter between oil filter and block maybe? Just trying to figure out the pre-luber
    Although not a necessity, people have very good results with the By-Pass and Pre-Oiler set-ups. It's just one of the finer things in life. We don't need many things, but like to have them regardless of our needs.

The Amsoil By-Pass set-up incorporates Donaldson Nanofiber oil filters that filter the oil down to 2 microns. To put things into perspective, 70 microns is the diameter of a human hair, and 2 microns is down in the bacteria range. This ultra fine filtration keeps the condition of the oil very clean and near new. In fact, some have achieved cleaner motor oil through Nanofiber oil filtration than the brand new oil coming out of the quart container.

There are a few different brands of Pre-Oilers out there. They generally work by containing the pressurized motor oil into a canister while the engine is operating. When the engine is shut off, a solenoid closes and pressurized oil is kept inside the canister. Then when the engine is re-stated, the ignition sends a signal to the solenoid valve to open sending a quick boost of oil into the engine. Looks like other styles work by pumping the oil with a pump like in the example below.

To get an idea of how this set-up works in real world driving, we can reference slalom44's work over at BITOG. He's been doing regular 30,000-mile oil changes in his Honda S2000.

30,624 Mile Oil Change, 2003 Honda S2000 – link

slalom44 By-Pass/Pre-Oiler example - link

Undoubtedly, slalom44 has paid for the cost of the by-pass, pre-oiler, high dollar synthetic oil, and oil analysis, by running his oil changes out to 30K plus.

It's the ultimate in oil geekery

silver
    2000 formula

so how much this type of set up run???

NBM
    1998Z28

I've always wondered if you could hook up an Accusump above the oil filter in the location the Vettes use for oil pressure and get it to work correctly. I wasn't pondering startups as much as I was rod bearings.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I am thinking this system hooked up through the oil sending unit. I hate where GM put that thing....plus the "special tool" bull.....plus I have to lay across the motor to get to the damn thing......other than that it is a piece of cake to install
    The dual by pass filter comes from Amsoil (CompSyn member here) and is around $250'ish..........................

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    so how much this type of set up run???
    Well the pre oiler system is posted above.
    Amsoil has their bypass and then this one is interesting.
    http://paretopoint.com/item--TopDog-V--topdogv_s.html

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    I've always wondered if you could hook up an Accusump above the oil filter in the location the Vettes use for oil pressure and get it to work correctly. I wasn't pondering startups as much as I was rod bearings.
    I thought about this myself. Do not have a conclusive thought yet though.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OK.....I am confused as hell.
    If I had a dual remote perma cool setup....running two full flow filters. Could I just replace one filter with an Amsoil bypass filter. Is the restriction of flow built into the filter or the mount?

I undersatnd the bypass filter only flows about 10% of the oil and do not wish to introduce a "damn" in my oil flow. I guess my question here is ......does the Amsoil bypass filter "trickle" oil from the normal flow into and out of the amsoil bypass filter or is this done in the Amsoil Dual Remote filter setup?

Then to confuse my old butt even more read this exchange between Gary Allen and Pablo selling Perma Cool Dual Remote Filter setup to this guy.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1955325

silver
    2000 formula

that top dog setup looks sweeeeet

silver
    2000 formula

on another note.....when i was in germany i was a driver of a M110A2.....in the 3 yrs i was there we never changed the oil or filter in the engine.....they did a oil sample every couple of months .....and we use 30w no matter the season.......wonder if that hurt the engine

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes.

silver
    2000 formula

guess the army thought engines were cheaper than oil changes

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ordered the amsoil bypass kit and bypass filter today from CompSyn. Sum Bitch better peddle that big wheel of his lickety split to the ranch with it.

Thread Information