Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

BURGANDY
    2000 Z/28

if you took the moped comment seriously.......I really don't know what to say to you?? It went right over your head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corona-Extra
    Has anyone said that maybe the drivers of the LS1’s don’t want to waste their 93 octane?
    I dunno I would think a 13 second car wouldnt mind racing another 13 second car, seems like a good potential matchup to me

BURGANDY
    2000 Z/28

well....Im sure if you find another "13 sec." car it would! But fortunatly for ls1 owners 85% of us are in the mid to high 12's anyway. Wait a minute........what forum was I in ?????? I could have swore I just logged on to an LS1 forum??????

Black
    2000 TA Built

just not around the right ls1ers.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

the other 15% of us LS1ers are broke and can't get to the 12's

I had a run in with an EVO on the highway a few nights ago, but my parachute was open (tops were off) and i couldn't give him a real run, so I played around up to around 90ish and backed off...besides, there was too much traffic and a cop on the median...
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

After reading this thread, I think I will take all EVO's seriously. Those things sound wicked fast, they are light, plus AWD. Don't see too many around though. Didn't one of the EVO owners on this thread say he outran a cammed, full-bolton LS1? He would have to make serious power out of that little four-banger to pull that feat off. If he wanted to outrun me, he would have to be making at least 350 to the wheels. That is almost as much power as a 911 Turbo.

Are EVO's a poor man's 911?
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfokker
    well....Im sure if you find another "13 sec." car it would! But fortunatly for ls1 owners 85% of us are in the mid to high 12's anyway. Wait a minute........what forum was I in ?????? I could have swore I just logged on to an LS1 forum??????
    85% huh? Well thats perfect then since about 85% of EVOs run mod 12s since it only takes exhaust and a tune.

Also, the guy who started the thread has around 350whp with his setup and should be in the low 12s, so I think i would be a good race for a modded LS1, a stock one would get smoked pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    After reading this thread, I think I will take all EVO's seriously. Those things sound wicked fast, they are light, plus AWD. Don't see too many around though. Didn't one of the EVO owners on this thread say he outran a cammed, full-bolton LS1? He would have to make serious power out of that little four-banger to pull that feat off. If he wanted to outrun me, he would have to be making at least 350 to the wheels. That is almost as much power as a 911 Turbo.

Are EVO's a poor man's 911?
    I guess you could say that

2005 EVOs can make 340-350whp with just full exhaust, cams and a good tune.

The 2006s have gone 11s already on I/E and a tune.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983
    85% huh? Well thats perfect then since about 85% of EVOs run mod 12s since it only takes exhaust and a tune.

Also, the guy who started the thread has around 350whp with his setup and should be in the low 12s, so I think i would be a good race for a modded LS1, a stock one would get smoked pretty bad.

I guess you could say that

2005 EVOs can make 340-350whp with just full exhaust, cams and a good tune.

The 2006s have gone 11s already on I/E and a tune.
    11's! Just bolt-ons and tune! Damn, those Japs have snuck one into the pony wars!

Who needs a 911 Turbo when you can spend 40 grand in an EVO and hand a supercar its ass in a handbag?

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    11's! Just bolt-ons and tune! Damn, those Japs have snuck one into the pony wars!

Who needs a 911 Turbo when you can spend 40 grand in an EVO and hand a supercar its ass in a handbag?

Haha well Porsches can be made pretty damn badass too! I mean if youre going balls out performance the C6 Z06 is the easy choice.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Roastem, it all boils back down to what you would rather be seen in. I'm not saying anything bad about the EVO. I'm just saying that if I had the money to buy a 911 Turbo, you're damn right I'd pick it over an EVO. S-T-Y-L-E.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    Roastem, it all boils back down to what you would rather be seen in. I'm not saying anything bad about the EVO. I'm just saying that if I had the money to buy a 911 Turbo, you're damn right I'd pick it over an EVO. S-T-Y-L-E.
    I know, right. Personally, I wouldn't buy an EVO, just ain't my style. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a 911 either, 'cause I am a good ol' country boy and a cammed LS1 or LT1 (heads are good too) has the heartbeat that I like (raucous powerplant, choppity chop thumpity thump). I ain't too much for lookin' uppity like a 911 owner. If I bought a car for looks, I would have prolly gotten a Vette, but for performance and value I wanted a Z28. It is easy to fix, responds well to mods, already has a live axle, and I don't feel bad about driving the hell out of it all the time. No need to Baby this Baby...Baby.
    Last edited by Roastem; 03-21-2006 at 09:32 AM.

NBM
    '00 Z28

I know what you mean Roastem.

380awhp/tq
    EVO 8

Crazyfokker, FYI: the LS1 is not the fastest thing in the world and the EVO is not the fastest thing in the world. Wake up and smell the coffee, out of the box, an EVO is just as fast as an LS1 (stock for stock, given an edge to the LS1 on the highway, that's because alot of EVO owners don't know how to brake boost). EVO (03-05 models) is a low to mid 13 second car and so is the LS1. The 2006 EVO on the other hand is a different beast. It is a true 12 second car out of the box. Most people are dynoing 270+awhp/tq to all 4 wheels stock. 85% of EVO's are running mid 12's too so it would be a good match up. 350awhp is easily accomplished with exhaust, mbc and tuning. Throw in 100 octane and raise the boost to 24 psi and your close to 380awhp on the stock turbo (that would be around 450-460rwhp/tq).

BURGANDY
    2000 Z/28

OK.....Seriously.......can we get off the damn paper horse power please! Just because you have 350 horse power on the dyno dosent mean a damn thing. Have you ran your "EVO'S" for time slips yet????? Didn't think so. So lets quit speculating and give some facts here. Because you read an import tuner mag where someone has spent $30,000 on mods on an evo dosn't mean that your car is that fast. I have a friend with a Vr4 talon @ 18 pounds of boost and about $6500 in the bottom end alone, and he's 3 tenths slower than my stock ls1 every pass we've made at the track. I was at the dyno when that car was tuned..it was 440+ horse power on the paper. Now theres some facts for you. Theres a little more to racing than a road & track comparison article or a dyno sheet. But you sound pretty intellegent so I'm sure you know that right??

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Throw in 100 octane and raise the boost to 24 psi and your close to 380awhp on the stock turbo (that would be around 450-460rwhp/tq).
    450 rwhp! I would like to see a V6 Camaro with an EVO8 motor. An Evomaro! How the hell do you guys get those transmission components to live in that car? With that kind of power, I wouldn't think the stock shafts and tranny would live long.

Buying a tank full of 100 octane every week would seriously lighten my wallet. Wait a minute, buying gas every week already lightens my wallet, I am trading for a Honda Insight! It already has 57 HP at the wheels, how can LS1's or EVO's touch that? You wait till that extra 17 HP from the electric motor kicks in, you guys won't have a chance.

BURGANDY
    2000 Z/28

hey Roastem... are you from Durham???

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Haha well Porsches can be made pretty damn badass too! I mean if youre going balls out performance the C6 Z06 is the easy choice.
    C6 Corvette Z06

Me luv new Z06

Me can't afford new Z06
    Last edited by Roastem; 03-21-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Because you read an import tuner mag where someone has spent $30,000 on mods on an evo dosn't mean that your car is that fast. I have a friend with a Vr4 talon @ 18 pounds of boost and about $6500 in the bottom end alone, and he's 3 tenths slower than my stock ls1 every pass we've made at the track. I was at the dyno when that car was tuned..it was 440+ horse power on the paper. Now theres some facts for you.

What is a VR4 Talon? Do you mean a Galant VR4 or Talon TSi?

My friend Steve's EVO made 355whp at the dyno, best run is 11.9@116, pump gas of course. He has full exhaust, cams, clutch and a custom tune. Thats it. Theres some facts for you. So if your friend has 100whp more and ran 13s, well, Im sorry. He's obviously an incompetent moron, good example

What ru takling about tuner import mags for? No one else is. Dont get me wrong, I dont read that crap either, most of it is Honda non-sense. The real deal is EVOs can be made quite fast for very cheap just like an LS1.

Like I said before, there are 2 guys with 2006 EVOs who have gone 11.9 and 12.0 on pump gas with only intake, exhaust and tunes. Theres some more facts for you. I dont see too many other cars doing that (well maybe C5 Z06 and Terminators and both arent LS1s)

Drive it like u stole it! newguy WS6's Avatar

Black
    06' GTO

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

So if your friend has 100whp more and ran 13s, well, Im sorry. He's obviously an incompetent moron, good example

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information