Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: turbo diesel

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Ok,all this is about the quarter mile, but what about when you are on the interstate? I mean if I'm following the guy in the souped up diesel, and i downshift to 4th at 80-85, I should be able to pass with impunity, right? I mean, he has to get that turbo spooled up, and downshift, and move all that mass. I should go by him like snot on a doorknob, right? And hold him back there until about (hell idk what the governor is set at)xxx, right? And if it gets stupid, my car does what? 168?( not gonna happen with stock suspension, i can tell you that!)SO, we are really talking about 80-110-120ish.

I'm assuming we are talking about the tuned, exhaust diesels. I realize they have alot of torque, i've seen them in action. (see above post). But their gearing is not set to run at those speeds, again, right? So they can't take advantage of their awesome torque, but instead have to rely on their hp. So what is that? 20lbs /hp? Which means, bye bye WS6. Correct me , plz. I don't want to look like an ass in front of my girl, and can't pass the diesel in front of me.
    this post pretty much sums up why diesel trucks are so impressive. You realize you're asking this question about a 7k pound truck right? A 7k pound truck ordinarily wouldn't even be worth a second thought but you put that diesel in there and all of the sudden the thought of getting spanked in a sports car crosses your mind.
    I'll tell you a quick story. My brother has an 06 GTO with headers and intake. He was on the freeway last year and had a "hillbilly" in a diesel riding his bumper so he floors it. He looks in the mirror and the hillbilly is still there. The truck wasn't gonna get around him by any means but he didn't run off from it like he thought he was going to and the LS2 Goats run extremely well at freeway speeds.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

it all depends on the setup... which I mean if it is a custom tune, the type of diesel and what not... really way to many options to look at... if your car is just exhuast... well don't be surprised if even at 80 they will stick with you or even edge you out... I had a diesel that would go 120mph+... how do I know this... well my speedo said 100mph but it would bounce back to 0... and I was racing a d-max and passed him pretty good when he was going 115mph... and it wasn't a small truck either... but like I said before.. a good tuned 6.4L powerstroke that is a quad cab 4x4 will get around mid to high 12's in the 1/4 just with a tune...

here is the truck that I used to have... and I'm sure no body would think that this truck would go 120mph+

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWWxoB2tQiU[/ame]

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

alright... looked up some videos realy quick... just a couple of videos one from highway speed and on at the track...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9EZYQiwoBM&feature=related[/ame]

mods for this truck: Spartan BETA 310 Tune, Intake, DPF/CAT Delete
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXoukHC-2lU[/ame]

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

damn these trucks sure can move. these tunes we are talkin about though are they streetable or just for the track? im sure that there's some that can be but I'm just thinking mpgs and what not

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    damn these trucks sure can move. these tunes we are talkin about though are they streetable or just for the track? im sure that there's some that can be but I'm just thinking mpgs and what not
    some of the more extreme tunes they say off road use only... but for what they are they can move... and well not for sure how much mpg the 6.4L are getting now... but the brand new 6.7L Powerstroke they are getting 20mpg+ and that is stock and not going off the lie o meter

white
    2002 TT Camaro

I saw a 6.4L powerstroke regular cab 4x4 run 11.24 at Rockingham with exhaust, tune, and N20 about a year ago, was a stripper work truck model and it was fast as hell, was runing in the high 120 MPH range.

2006 F250 powerstroke

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    Most of the tunes are streetable.

A 6.4 powerstroke is capable of 600 RWHP on a tune only.

A 6.0 powerstroke is capable of 420-470 RWHP on a tune only.

Either of those have no trouble keeping up to or beatingthe Average Camaro on the street or strip.

As to the guy who asked about maintaining boost on the street. Easily done while the truck is at normal highway speeds. My 6.0 on 35 inch tires is already at 6-7 psi at 65 mph and will hit anywhere from 30-32 as soon as I put my foot in it

2006 F250 powerstroke

Oh and that 13 sec Dmax wasnt stock. Had a built trans at a minimum. Dual Fuelers as well I would bet

Blue
    Chevy Malibu

Not a big fan of trucks or diesels myself, but two words:

Gale Banks...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by quadracer1014 View Post
    Oh and that 13 sec Dmax wasnt stock. Had a built trans at a minimum. Dual Fuelers as well I would bet
    Nope.. another Ford guy telling us "it can't be a stock Chevy".. Yet again another have no idea what or whom they're talking about... Please don't let this turn into another "it's not stock cuz I says so" merry-go-round.. Oh and YES it was mechanically stock @ the time.. As I stated in a previous post, it had stacks, and a tune.. You 2 knuckle heads can continue the BS if you'd like..

Unsubscribed.............
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-27-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by loser187 View Post
    Not a big fan of trucks or diesels myself, but two words:

Gale Banks...
    ooo no... really??? every thing is over priced... and you can find just as good products if not better at a cheaper price...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Nope.. another Ford guy telling us "it can't be a stock Chevy".. Yet again another have no idea what or whom they're talking about... Please don't let this turn into another "it's not stock cuz I says so" merry-go-round.. Oh and YES it was mechanically stock @ the time.. As I stated in a previous post, it had stacks, and a tune.. You 2 knuckle heads can continue the BS if you'd like..

so because one likes a Powerstroke means that they have no knowledge of another diesel? and like I said before you must aslo think that a diesel runs off glow plugs also... and he said dual fuelers cause the stock pump wouldn't be able to produce enough fuel to get it to those numbers... but what does he know... he must be a newb to diesel... LMAO

2006 F250 powerstroke

Gale Banks You don know the parts on his Dmax powered S10 arent available to the public dont you?

I dont know what it takes to build a 13 second Dmax? LMFAO

Let me know do you want a Dmax that will go down the track once or twice at 13 seconds?

Or do you want one that can do much better and do it every day. I can spec you out both.

Or how about a similar 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke.

Can be done with a 7.3 too with an azzload of nitrous.

I dont do much cummins work. But a trained monkey could make one of them go fast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

Quote Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
    ooo no... really??? every thing is over priced... and you can find just as good products if not better at a cheaper price...

so because one likes a Powerstroke means that they have no knowledge of another diesel? and like I said before you must aslo think that a diesel runs off glow plugs also... and he said dual fuelers cause the stock pump wouldn't be able to produce enough fuel to get it to those numbers... but what does he know... he must be a newb to diesel... LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by quadracer1014 View Post
    Gale Banks You don know the parts on his Dmax powered S10 arent available to the public dont you?

I dont know what it takes to build a 13 second Dmax? LMFAO

Let me know do you want a Dmax that will go down the track once or twice at 13 seconds?

Or do you want one that can do much better and do it every day. I can spec you out both.

Or how about a similar 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke.

Can be done with a 7.3 too with an azzload of nitrous.

I dont do much cummins work. But a trained monkey could make one of them go fast
    these are all BS arguments. I'm not going to clean this thread up again. I gave you guys opportunity to debate and show facts but none of those posts have any facts in them. Thread closed.

Thread Information