Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Oil Temp. Running Hot

I'm hoping people will see this in here. What would cause my oil temp to run hot. Checked the oil and it's only about 1/8th of a quart low and all the other temp gauges are right where they should be. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by 2001camaroSS; 08-28-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I found this service bulletin
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    #PIC4508A: Engine Oil Temperature Reads High Or Improper Display Of Warning Message - keywords DIC display gauge IPC - (Oct 30, 2007)

Subject: Engine Oil Temperature Reads High or False Warning Message

Models: 2004- 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4508.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Some customers may comment the engine oil temperature rises very quickly and remains high when they are not driving on long hills or performing aggressive maneuvers. In some cases the Oil Temperature Warning Message is displayed.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If the Engine Oil Temperature Indicator is always on, follow Engine Oil Temperature Indicator Always On (5.7L) Document ID# 1541697. If the oil temperature seems to rise quickly and remain high, install a redundant ground for the Engine Oil Level/ Temperature Sensor to the Instrument Panel Cluster ground G200 using the following instructions:

Splice a new length of .35 AWG wire into circuit 1550 (BK) near the Engine Oil Level/ Temperature using procedures in Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Clips Document ID# 303646.
    Run the wire under the Engine Harness protective sheath following the harness over to, and through the Wiring Harness Pass-through Grommet into the passenger compartment on the driver side.
    Attach the end of the redundant ground wire to G200 behind the left kick pad using suitable eyelet terminal.
    Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

and this one
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    #04-08-49-017B: Engine Oil Temperature Gauge Warning Lamp Illuminated (Call TCSC and Reprogram IPC Module) - (Dec 7, 2006)

Subject: Engine Oil Temperature Gauge Warning Lamp Illuminated (Call TCSC and Reprogram IPC Module)

Models: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 40181396

Built Prior to April 14, 2004

This bulletin is being revised to add an Important statement to the Correction section and TIS2WEB programming steps. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-49-017A (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
    Some customers may comment that during or after aggressive driving, the engine oil temperature display in the DIC has a higher than expected reading or the engine oil temperature warning has come on.

Cause
    A ground offset between the engine oil temperature sensor and the instrument cluster affects the temperature reading and may indicate a temperature higher than actual. The actual oil temperature should be in operating range.

Correction
    Important: This vehicle can only be programmed using TIS2WEB. Before reprogramming, it is necessary to slow the baud rate in the TIS2WEB terminal. Failure to slow the baud rate could result in locking up the IP. Contact Techline to obtain a VCI number in order to complete the programming.

Engineering has released a software update. Technicians are to use normal SPS reprogramming procedures to reprogram the IPC module with an updated software calibration. Prior to reprogramming, technicians MUST contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) to obtain a Vehicle Configuration Index (VCI) number and for assistance in modifying TIS2WEB pass-thru RS-232 Baud rate from 115200 to 57600.

The new calibration is available in TIS2WEB. Use the following procedure to reprogram through TIS2WEB.

Enter Service Programming System.
    Click on the "Start SPS" button.
    On the screen, click on the "settings" button in the lower left corner in order to select "Tech2 Legacy Pass-Thru" or "Tech2 Remote".
    Click on the "Diagnostics" tab.
    Change the Baud Rate to 57600.
    Click OK.
    Contact the TCSC at the number above to obtain a VCI number.
    Proceed with SPS Pass-Thru programming to reprogram the IP.
    Important: The IP Module may not be listed in the modules to choose from. If this happens, select any one of the modules listed in order to proceed to the next screen. On the next screen, choose "VCI Number" to proceed to the screen that will allow the VCI number to be entered.

After programming is complete, go back into the settings to change the Baud Rate back to 115200.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    and this one
    thanks for looking. yea it seems every where i look it has to do with a grounding issue. ha youre from madison. that's where i bought the car.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

huh, yeah I caught you other tread about buying the car and noticed the Wisconsin plates. I was gonna ask where in WI but didn't. Hmmm...I wonder if I'd recognize the previous owner.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

huh, yeah I caught you other tread about buying the car and noticed the Wisconsin plates. I was gonna ask where in WI but didn't. Hmmm...I wonder if I'd recognize the previous owner.
    he actually live in sun prairie right by the american family head quarters but close enough. i wouldn't doubt that you'd recognize him. when i bought the car from him the money was going towards a viper that was putting down 660 to the wheels. thanks again for looking into my problem. you put my mind to ease and i am going to have the problem taken care of when I go back home.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Hmmm...interesting. I can see the American Family Insurance headquarters through my back windows of my house. Its about 50yards away.
    I think I may have roll raced that CTS-V down the American Parkway road.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Hmmm...interesting. I can see the American Family Insurance headquarters through my back windows of my house. Its about 50yards away.
    I think I may have roll raced that CTS-V down the American Parkway road.
    haha thats pretty dang funny. it's a small world. who won?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It was pretty much a draw as I remember it. It was only a quick blast and then a thumbs up to each other. We didn't wanna get going too fast on that road

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

It was pretty much a draw as I remember it. It was only a quick blast and then a thumbs up to each other. We didn't wanna get going too fast on that road
    yea i'm pretty sure that was a 35 so i can completely understand that one. cool stuff man. well i now know who to go to when I have a mechanical issue with one of my cars.

Thread Information