Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Got Busted Street Racing stories

We had alot of organized street racing many years ago that pretty much went without a hickup for 10-15 years, that is until one night.

We had this sweet spot on route 134 North that was just off St. Rt. 32 between Mt. Orab and Seaman. We'd go out nearly every Saturday night about 11pm after traffic died, usually 15 or 20 cars at a time. Your typical straight flat country road surrounded by corn fields. There was a farmer that let us all park on his lawn, He loved to watch from his front porch. We only had to worry about deer jumping out in the road,,,until this night

I was lucky this night, I drove my little daily driver Monza out there with a little 406/4-speed combo. It was my beater, but it ran like stink
    I had this funny feeling that night, and thought I should bring a car that I didn't care to get impounded, don't ask me my, just that sixth sense talking to me.

Anyway, we all met up in a little town called Sardinia, and then drive North on 134. I guess 15-20 cars meeting at the local grocery store looked a little suspicious on this night Because we got the attention of a local Sardinia cop.
    We picked this spot about 5 miles north on 134 because it crosses over the Brown County line into Highland County and puts us in the far South West corner of Highland about 40 miles away from the nearest town in Highland.
    This would prove to be a life saver in a few minutes.

Anyway, racing got under way. We always had several fast 10 or 11 second cars and then your usual mix of slower stuff. Several runs had went down already. I had just raced another car and got back and parked when that Sardinia cop showed up. We were all parked and chatting at the time so he never actually witnessed anything.
    He did say however, that he could actually hear some of the cars from Sardinia (over 5 miles away) and he just followed all the noise until he found us He said he had grown suspicious of all of the cars in the parking lot earlier that night. He started walking around all the cars with a flash light looking at everything. He came up on my car,,,saw the tire smoke that was still drifting out of the rust holes in the quarter panels from a race that happened not 3 minutes before he pulled in and he looked at all of us and said "Who's car is this???" (very sarcastically) I said that's my car. (honest, true story). I wasn't sure if he was referring to the condition of my heap among a bunch of nicer cars or the fact that the smell of burnt rubber and smoke were still drifting out of the quarters But it was all the other guys could do to keep from busting out laughing. I figured I was had at this point. Good thing I drove the beater eh??
    He asked me what I had been doing, I told him I had just pulled in to meet the guys. I had hoped he didn't remember seeing my car at the grocery store.
    Since he was not only out of his town, he was in a completely different county, he had no jurisdiction. So he just told us all to sit tight, and make sure we get our stories straight while he called for the local sherriff. At this point I thought we were sunk, jail time, bail money etc....
    The closest town in Highland county was Hillsboro, a good 40 miles. Remember we picked this spot for a reason and it turned out to be a good idea. He made several calls for what seemed like an eternity, and even tried the State Trooper office in Hillsboro. Everyone was too busy and/or didn't want to make the drive all the way down there
    He simply said "boys you all should go out and buy lottery tickets because this is your lucky day, the Sherriff and State boys are too busy to come down here so I'm going to have to let you all go"

I couldn't wait to get the hell outta there We all went back to a friends house in Sardinia and talked about the whole ordeal for hours.

I have more stories, other more daring organized street racing spots, but I'll wait till others chime in.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I'll read that after I post this for the sake of bumping the thread.
    I had gotten my relocation brackets welded on and was wanting to practice my launches for the next day at the track. So I went to this road near an airport that no buildings were on and checked the little courts to check no one was there. Went to the straight away stalled it up and launched it going halfway through second. Flipped a bitch and did the same coming back the way I came in. Then I saw some lights come on in the process of flipping a bitch themselves. I thought it was some kids getting hyphy-nope. Damn court I briefly checked had a blacked out car with his lights off and he went to go intercept me going the other way but turned around when he saw me barreling back. I rolled up slowly with my window down and he flashed his spot light on me.
    me-yes sir
    him- slow the fuck down!
    me-yes sir
    he drives off. Whooh what a sigh of relief, i ran my best of 12.76 the next day.
    Only story I have thankfully.
    Last edited by c5z28; 08-25-2010 at 07:44 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

One of the more amusing ones for me:

Most of you may know that I hail from Los Angeles, the Mecca of Street Racing from the 80's on back.

Well, 1 night as I was heading home northbound on Alameda (I was coming from a friends house in Wilmington) coming up to Mansville (which parallels the 91 on the south side) I decided to see if anybody was hanging out. Sure enough, there were a half dozen cars hanging out on the east side of the run (the launch pad). I was in the 67. At the time it had a 12.5:1 427, TH400 with 3500 stall and 4.10's in the 12 bolt. Mid 11's all day long.

Turn's out a rube with a early 80's ElCo with a 350 bites and agrees to race for a C note. We lock it up and get parallel on the street and do a burnout. We see headlights turn down the street from Alameda so we wait for the car to pass us before we run. DAMN! It's Carson Sheriff!

He passes us going the other way and hooks a U-turn and gets behind us. The ElCo was in the outside lane (closest to the curb) so he turns into the 1st driveway (The whole area is industrial). I was in the 2nd lane. I putter on, lane change to the curb lane and the County Mounty lights 'em up! I pull over into the parking lane like an obedient citizen.

He gets out, comes to my drivers side and asks, "License, registration and insurance card." I produce all 3. He stands there for a bit and says, "You know, I've got to give you a ticket for something cuz I called this in. I saw you 2 doing a burnout but you didn't race. Tell ya what how about 'Double Parking'?" Both of us busted up laughing. I was 35 at the time and he was about my age. Technically he was correct as I was sitting (not moving) in the fast lane when he went by going the other way.

He wrote the ticket ad also cited me for CVC5200 (no front plate).

Guy with my $100 beat feet so I lost the $$$ also...

I'll wait and see who else posts. Turns out I've got a book full of these kind of stories, like the time I was part of a 191 ticket bust...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Did I mentioned the time I saw 2 guys race backwards (like, in reverse) for a full 1/4 mile? Guy that won had to be doing 80mph... backwards... looking over his shoulder...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Place we all used to meet up at (Del Taco in Gardena) was favored for 3 reasons: it was in Gardena, west across the street was Torrance, north across the other street was county (Carson Sheriff). Like I said 3 good reasons...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I wish I had better stories to tell, only ones of near misses so I guess those don't count.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

..or the time I got pulled over for street racing and the cops radio stated (while me and my bud I were siting cuffed on the curb), "Bring 'em in and impound the cars if you want". AGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

No, I didn't go to jail but the cops dressed both of us down severly and gave both of us a speed contest ticket...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Or the letter I got from the Cali DMV stating, "Dear Mr Blake, you are in danger of being declared a negligent driver..."

I've still got that letter...

Yeah, I've got a few of these stories...

Believe me folks when I say "I've been there" cuz I truly have. I dress down the youngsters cuz I don't want them to have to go thru the same BS I did...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Back when i first got my licience and first car (1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD)
    went to washington blvd aka the vard pretty whack now days,
    but i was making run up and down all night me and all my friends are about to call it good when i decide to make one more run.
    So pull out go down a couple blocks and get lined up with a 97ish m3.
    So we get alight and we both rev.
    im waiting for the light to turn green while my rpms are sitting at 6 grand.
    The light turns green i instantly pull 2-3 cars on him by the time i get to 3rd he is on my back bumper about to beat me we both let off and then we see lights behind us.
    im thinking there behind so i think im in the clear ends up there were 2 undercover cops. we both got both of our cars impounded and i walked home at 16 like 7 miles away from home haha had to save up 750 bucks to get it out

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Another "amusing anecdote", although not street racing related.

You've all heard about it, the "Demand payment" notice for "$0.00". I have one of these from the Cali DMV. I'd paid the cars registration but they still sent me a Demand Payment notice for, you guessed it, "$0.00"...

That was almost 25 years ago but I still get a chuckle out of the bureacratic BS that produced it...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Another "amusing anecdote", although not street racing related.

You've all heard about it, the "Demand payment" notice for "$0.00". I have one of these from the Cali DMV. I'd paid the cars registration but they still sent me a Demand Payment notice for, you guessed it, "$0.00"...

That was almost 25 years ago but I still get a chuckle out of the bureacratic BS that produced it...
    What the hell? Never heard of that.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    What the hell? Never heard of that.
    Basically it's a computer error where the payment has been entered into the system but the "Demand Payment" notice goes out for the sum of $0.00 (zero dollars and zero cents) to the delinquent party.

Perhaps you've heard this one: "To err is human but to really fuck up it takes a computer"... That letter is a classic case of this.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

We used to race outside the city limits at this industrial park well we thought we ok because city cops wouldn't come out there,everything was cool for a few weeks until one night when a count deputy sheriff showed up,thank god no body was racing at the time,he said we had 15 minutes to leave because he was coming back with a 15 passenger van and talking all of our asses to jail.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    We used to race outside the city limits at this industrial park well we thought we ok because city cops wouldn't come out there,everything was cool for a few weeks until one night when a count deputy sheriff showed up,thank god no body was racing at the time,he said we had 15 minutes to leave because he was coming back with a 15 passenger van and talking all of our asses to jail.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I laugh at your "15 passenger van" capacity.

Back in 1991 I was caught up in a street racing bust at Alameda and Del Amo where they impounded 12 cars, took 15 people to jail and gave out 191 tickets for "Aiding and abetting a street race". That 1 made the local papers (South Bay Daily Breeze and the LA Times) as well as 3 channels of the local news stations (KTLA - 5, KCAL - 9 and KCOP -13).

Ther is a much longer story to this but I'll wait awhile before I spill it...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

How about 1 where the Street Racers are the good guys:

Back in the late 80's we would meet in the North Long Beach/Downey (?) area at a minimall parking lot on Eastern Ave north of Imperial Hiway. Upwards of 600-700 cars would show up. We'd chose up for races later at Del Amo and Santa Fe or Alameda. The amount of BS talked up there has yet to be rivaled in my experience! LA street racers will know what I'm saying.

1 night we saw an obviously drunk driver hit a dude on a bicycle. We detained the driver (there were 20 or so of us and we surrounded his car, climbing on it and pulling him out on the ground), assisted the cyclist and called the cops (911). He went to jail and the cyclist was taken away in an ambulance. The cop thanked all of us involved.

Score 1 for the good guys!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Ok Larry, you can see I've been doing this for a long time.

You just had to get me started, huh (LOL)...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

We were outside montgomery but still in city limits once and the cops rolled up on us with their video camera (the had a local version of the "cops" tv show) my friend was putting slicks on his thunderbird sc,had one on already and we were about to put the other side on when the cops n cameras showed up.they asked if we had a flat,with the camera clearly pointed at the tire that said "M/T ET Drag" we said yeah flat tire,they said change it and get outta here,we did laughing the whole way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I laugh at your "15 passenger van" capacity.

Back in 1991 I was caught up in a street racing bust at Alameda and Del Amo where they impounded 12 cars, took 15 people to jail and gave out 191 tickets for "Aiding and abetting a street race". That 1 made the local papers (South Bay Daily Breeze and the LA Times) as well as 3 channels of the local news stations (KTLA - 5, KCAL - 9 and KCOP -13).

Ther is a much longer story to this but I'll wait awhile before I spill it...
    Some good reading here.

In Ohio, all the above cars would be gone, and people loosing their license. Yep, it says all cars would be siezed even if they are there watching the drag racing, or if a cop thinks you take off from a stop light too quickly or go around a corner too fast. I hope OH people get this stopped.

Ok Larry, you can see I've been doing this for a long time.

You just had to get me started, huh (LOL)...
    Ya I figured it would be the old farts that filled this thread

In the mid 80's we had another sweet spot on St. Rt. 52 (a 4 lane highway) between Apple road and 275. They had built a concrete divider in the middle of the highway that went on for miles. We didn't have to worry about on comming traffic. We had a big cruise inn every Friday night at a local DJ's speed shop, which eventually changed to an ice cream shop, then Skyline Chili,,,,anyway,,,,
    We would drive down Apple road to 52 after the cruise late at night, and pull off to the side, line cars up, and race West towards 275, take the highway back to the cruise. A really sweet setup for many years, until the cops caught on.
    They couldn't pull a U-turn because of the divider, but they would hide in various places. We had various people staked out with walky talkies, and would radio back and forth if the coast was clear.
    We didn't think to keep an eye on Apple road 2 sherrifs pulled up behind the group with lights out. Couldn't get the word out fast enough before 2 cars had already lined up and took off. They stated they were arresting everyone involved, even the bystanders (which I was at the time).
    Luckily I was pretty far up in line among the group (probably 40 cars). Some of us up front looked at each other and said, they can't stop all of us, and it was taking a while for the pair of cops to walk up through the mass of cars. So most of us up front decided to jump in our cars and leave. I took back roads home and stayed there

I talked to some friends a few days later and it turned out they did arrest those near the back of the pack. The 2 that were racing at the time got away, nobody would fess up who they were.
    I was lucky that night, the group was large enough that 2 cops couldn't detain everyone, or write all the plate numbers down. They had called for backup that did arrive, but apparently after about 30 cars had already fled the scene. That was the last time I went down there, even to watch. But racing did continue down there for a few more years.
    The classic cars at that time were starting to become valuable as prices started rising in the mid/late 80's. I decided it wasn't worth chancing my cars anymore.

In the mid 80's we had another spot in Bethel on St. Rt. 232. A country road that, at the time, didn't have any houses on it, just corn fields. We would meet at the local Frisches Big Boy and pair up the cars. Groups of 10-15 cars would leave at a time. The cops caught on to this, so eventually we had to leave 2-3 at a time and go various directions to throw them off, and eventually meet at the spot. That only worked for a while too.
    One night they had a big bust, and even detained cars that were at the cruise in the Frisches parking lot. I happened to be parked there, eating inside. After all, this was sort of the unofficial cruise spot on Saturday night.
    Not sure if eating food at the restaurant had anything to do with it, but I was one of the lucky few they let go that night after a series of questions.
    Thankfully I wasn't really involved in anything that night, but it sure scared the hell outta me.
    That pretty much killed that cruise inn for many years. Then around the mid to late 1990's Frisches decided to advertise for the cruise again. Things had really tamed down by that point, not much organized street racing by then. I still liked to go to that cruise though. Got to meet up with old buddies from the racing days, and talk about the things that happened there.

Thread Information