Thread: Speakers

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Speakers

Ok so I am going to plan on replacing the door, and sail speakers soon so I am looking for sugestions on what you have found that sounds good and cost little. I am stuck on weather to use components or go the cheaper rout with a 2 or 3 way speaker. My head unit has very little output power so I guess I will be putting my old Kicker 350/4 amp to use again. This amp puts out 35 to 60 watts RMS to each channel depending on voltage and peak of 90x4. I already have a 700 watt mono pushing my infinity 10 in a stealth box so now it is time to hear the lyrics lol. I want to do front doors and sails for now. I have a jensen VM8013HD for a headunit running through the factory delco amp and speakers right now. Not to keen on the jensen but it will do for now. What speaks have you all liked the sound of. Model numbers will help but a basic description will help as well I am trying to stay under 200 for all 4 but will look at stuff just above that if they are good. Thanks

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

No one has any opinion? Need a direction to go here. I have not bought speakers since 2004, What good out there now?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I've always had good luck with Pioneer. But haven't had to buy any in years b/c I tranfer them from vehicle to vehicle. They are not in the TA, but I can tell you they sound different from vehicle to vehicle, even with the same HU.

I also have heard and to hear alot about JL audio, go quality stuff there.

Just avoid offbrand crap on eBay.

Speakers/audio is usually you get what you pay for. Spend a $50 on 4 speakers, dont' expect too much. Spend a $100 on 1, it can make all the difference.

Pioneer makes some 4-way speakers as well if you want to avoid components, but with mine I have a space for components, so it's a no brainer if I was looking to replace.

You also need to keep in mind what your HU/amp is capable of. If it only 60watts max per, no need to buy the 200watt speakers, unless you plan to upgrade the amp.

Alot is all personal preference as well, some people think the monsoon is shit, some people don't care what it sounds like b/c they like the sound of exhaust more. To each his own?

After reading this post over again, I'm not sure I gave much of a direction.... lol.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Unfortunately, the speaker is only going to sound as good as the amp providing the power to it. If you install $500 dollar speakers and run them off of a sub-par HU/amp, they will still sound sub-par. Kicker in general makes pretty good quality components, so my suggestion would be to go with a mid-range priced set of at least 2-way name brand speakers that match the RMS output of your amplifier. Does that amp have an equalizer or frequency adjustment on it? If not, you may also want to install some bass blockers.

I have had good luck with Polk. I run their components up front and 3-ways in the sail panels in my 96. All of my amps/subs have always been MTX.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea it has a crossover in it so I can dial down the low freq's. I have one pair of polk 6.5's sitting in a box that I used in my ram years ago with that kicker amp. I thought about using them and just buying another set or getting a set of polk components to go either in the rear sails or in the doors. It sound good in the dodge but they were mounted in the rear doors and I had polk 6x9 3 ways in the front so I dont know how good they are alone. I had a set of Boston Acustics in my 94 powered just by a super tuner head unit. They sounded great but I bought those way back in 1999 so I don't know what these companies quality is like today.

Pewter
    99 z28

what is the wattage or RMS or the Monsoon amp??

White
    1998 Trans Am

I am actually getting all my parts toghter to do my new system finally. So here is what I planned on I have a 5ch Memphis Belle Amp I am using a Alpine 7inch in dash with alpine components up front and coax in rear( got a sweet deal on alpine from a local shop I do buisness with or I woulkd have used Focal's) and leaving out the hatch speakers and using a small hideaway 10" on the driverside. Need the hatch fopr the ttops and the spare tire to hid the NOS bottle later. I used a similar setup in a mt Grand Am GT and got great sound.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    what is the wattage or RMS or the Monsoon amp??
    depends on the year but not really. They say from 97 to 98 or 99 it was 200 total peak, then in 00 to 02 it was said to be 500 but it's the exact same part all years so most who have tried to push it will say it's about a 200 to 250 watt peak and has something like 35watt rms untill the sub starts demanding power and it folds quick compaired to after market seperate mains and sub amps or a multi chanel sub mains combo amp.

Thread Information