Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fast intake

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    is this a good set of heads
    PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads 202/160 valves that are stainless steel rev race valves. 59cc chamber, they bench flowed 316 cfm on intake side at 600 lift and 248 cfm exhaust at 600 lift. valve springs are good for 625 lift friend is selling them

how do you know if they are 243s? first ls1 last car was a v6 camaro only 19 still learning haha
    They will have "243" on the corner. If they look good and dont have a problem I would pick them up. However if you have plans on changing the cam, I would highly recomend a 650 lift spring.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

race more then one person at a time on a roll and highway late at nite with some friends
    Guess we'll be seeing you on the 6 o'clock news someday.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Guess we'll be seeing you on the 6 o'clock news someday.
    Agreed. Do not fuck around with more ppl than you need. I had a friend who died 3 yrs ago doing stupid shit at midnight on a 2 lane road. The car went airborn, struck a pole, tore in half, and landed upside down in a culvert.

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Agreed. Do not fuck around with more ppl than you need. I had a friend who died 3 yrs ago doing stupid shit at midnight on a 2 lane road. The car went airborn, struck a pole, tore in half, and landed upside down in a culvert.
    Guess that's the difference between youth today and when I was a kid. Never did much (if any) of that roll race stuff. It was mainly stop light wars that were over after 2-3 gears. And anything we had organized on a vacant road was done from a dig. Most races are done after about 60-70 mph,,,,none of this "lets see if I can drive around you" 120+ mph high speed nonsense. May as well race at the Salt Flats

Probably why I'm still alive.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If they are 5.3 heads, they won't be LS6's.
    The 5.3 heads are popular because the small combustion chambers bump the compression.
    But the LS6 heads do the same thing, bumping 1/2 point to 10.5. So I'm guessing the 5.3's will bump the compression higher than that.
    well i dont have to have ls6 heads just want something that will work with my car for now and when i get a bigger cam

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

well i dont have to have ls6 heads just want something that will work with my car for now and when i get a bigger cam
    Those are probably one of the cheaper if not the cheapest heads your gonna find.

In that case, the 5.3 heads are a popular swap. The LS6 heads have a 64cc chamber I believe, so the 5.3's are probably tighter than that. Might make an 11:1 motor if I had to guess. Maybe others that use them can chime in here.

If those flow numbers are accurate, they have a nice I/E ratio of close to 80%. Would have to see the whole chart to form an opinion on the mid lift flow.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

i hardly ever race i like watching mostly but i do race from time to time and i am careful when i race make sure theres not traffic and know the road like pot holes,if its wet anything like that but i do know what your saying thats why i dont do it much i ride with friends and record the race alot to

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just be carefull. I was 18 when I got my trans am and I did so much stupid shit with it, that im surprised im still alive.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

yes i know thank you though

heres a vid of some of the cars that i see ever weekend this was last month at about 2 am on 169 in tulsa
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/tuls...-2_2019375.htm

White
    1999 Camaro SS

dont they have a stage 2.5 of these? what dose the cc stand for am i looking for lower or higher

thanks a lot you guys for helping me out on some of these dumb nube questions haha
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 07-18-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: removed non sponsor link

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please don't post direct links to non sponsors.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Please don't post direct links to non sponsors.
    sorry didnt know how to show the video with out just the link and forgot

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ok 1. roll races are for pussys ...period. real men run from a dig and they do it at the strip.

2. for your number goals dont even waste your time with the 243s,852 and 706 ..do it right...power = money ..you need to pay big to play big. the AFRs are in the top 3 cathedral style heads on the market period ...you will see awesome gains in the low to mid. the top end is where the afr will show its "weakness" if you want to call it that..however now AFR has not only 205s but 215s and 225s ..i think i missed one but anyways for most 346s much over the 225s is rare with AFR. TFS shows great gains all across the board...especially in the top end. both are great heads. i will be running AFRs no questions asked..but i will be going with a ls3 engine. so my needs will be different

dont they have a stage 2.5 of these? what dose the cc stand for am i looking for lower or higher

thanks a lot you guys for helping me out on some of these dumb nube questions haha
    CC is the combustion chamber volume. A smaller number will raise the compression ratio.
    Really depends on the end goal of the car as to what compression you want to shoot for.
    11:1 on the street is easy on pump gas with aluminum heads on an N/A motor. Some push it a bit further but the tune has to be spot on.

LS6 heads will bump the compression 1/2 point in stock form. Some heads are milled to bump compression so be carefull buying used stuff.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

sorry didnt know how to show the video with out just the link and forgot
    The video wasn't the link I was referring to

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ok 1. roll races are for pussys ...period. real men run from a dig and they do it at the strip.

2. for your number goals dont even waste your time with the 243s,852 and 706 ..do it right...power = money ..you need to pay big to play big. the AFRs are in the top 3 cathedral style heads on the market period ...you will see awesome gains in the low to mid. the top end is where the afr will show its "weakness" if you want to call it that..however now AFR has not only 205s but 215s and 225s ..i think i missed one but anyways for most 346s much over the 225s is rare with AFR. TFS shows great gains all across the board...especially in the top end. both are great heads. i will be running AFRs no questions asked..but i will be going with a ls3 engine. so my needs will be different
    I agree with wut ur saying but the kid is 19 and he is on a budget. The vids he posted were about H/C vettes and 6.0 camaro's racing. I agree with what your saying, but if he saved up a bit and bolted up a set of AFR's to a 402 LS2, he would def benefit from the extra cubes.

OP the bottom line is MONEY=SPEED in this case. The deeper your wallet is, the faster your car will be. Ask anyone who has really modded their cars on this site (and there are a few), they werent really stretching to much with the build. They didnt cut corners for a couple hundred bucks when they were throwing thousands into the car, and neither should you. Modding isnt cheap to begin with, let alone H/C/I, strokers etc... Put it this way-

Heads (should you save and get trick flows or AFR) $2000-2500
    New rear- $2000 (give or take)
    FAST 90/90 (if you wanna port it)- $2000 at least
    Cam- (optional) $300 (Throw in another couple hundred for springs if they dont come with it, or arent rated for the high lift etc..)
    Tuning- $500-700 (Depending on the rate per hour ect..)

Your looking at upwards of $7000 plus taxes and all the other little ods and ends. I know your young and want speed, at your age who doesnt. But ask yourself is its really worth throwing 7k into a car just to say "I have 450 horsepower). What are you gonna do once those vettes and maros start spraying and adding a s/c?

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The video wasn't the link I was referring to
    the link was a video of some vets and 6.0 and fbodys racing here in tulsa

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I agree with wut ur saying but the kid is 19 and he is on a budget. The vids he posted were about H/C vettes and 6.0 camaro's racing. I agree with what your saying, but if he saved up a bit and bolted up a set of AFR's to a 402 LS2, he would def benefit from the extra cubes.

OP the bottom line is MONEY=SPEED in this case. The deeper your wallet is, the faster your car will be. Ask anyone who has really modded their cars on this site (and there are a few), they werent really stretching to much with the build. They didnt cut corners for a couple hundred bucks when they were throwing thousands into the car, and neither should you. Modding isnt cheap to begin with, let alone H/C/I, strokers etc... Put it this way-

Heads (should you save and get trick flows or AFR) $2000-2500
    New rear- $2000 (give or take)
    FAST 90/90 (if you wanna port it)- $2000 at least
    Cam- (optional) $300 (Throw in another couple hundred for springs if they dont come with it, or arent rated for the high lift etc..)
    Tuning- $500-700 (Depending on the rate per hour ect..)

Your looking at upwards of $7000 plus taxes and all the other little ods and ends. I know your young and want speed, at your age who doesnt. But ask yourself is its really worth throwing 7k into a car just to say "I have 450 horsepower). What are you gonna do once those vettes and maros start spraying and adding a s/c?
    most of the guys here already have spray the vets and one camaro do the rest dont want it i just dont want to blow my block up with it or spend 6 grand on a s/c or p/c but i would be willing to buy a engine foe 7 or 8 grand because mine has 134xxx on it dont no how long it wil last befor i have to start buy things for it any way

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information