Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fast intake

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    how much do they run? and were can i get them ported or can i buy them ported?
    You can buy them ported on ebay. But I've seen non ported ones on ebay for around $400, you may be able to find cheaper ones though. You could buy the stock ls6 heads and put them on and get them ported when you have enough money.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-18-2010 at 02:38 PM.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    You buy them ported on ebay. But I've seen non ported ones on ebay for around $400, you may be able to find cheaper ones though. You could buy the stock ls6 put them on and when you have enough to get them ported do that.
    400? thats cheap for heads isnt it

and id rather buy them ported so i dont have to pay for it later on or have to find somewhere around here to do it

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

400? thats cheap for heads isnt it

and id rather buy them ported so i dont have to pay for it later on or have to find somewhere around here to do it
    Seems cheap to me but I don't know how much it will cost to have it ported.
    My guess is it won't be that cheap but probably cheaper than buying TrickFlow heads or something like that.

I am actually thinking about doing this too when I can.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Seems cheap to me but I don't know how much it will cost to have it ported.
    My guess is it won't be that cheap but probably cheaper than buying TrickFlow heads or something like that.

I am actually thinking about doing this too when I can.
    i looked up ls6 heads and there like 865 for one a set is almost 1800 and i think that is with out the springs

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Whatever you do, get them ported. You will be kicking yourself later and the power is really worth it. A good set of heads are certainly not cheap, but im pretty sure the LS6 heads should come with springs and the other valvetrain stuff. Why not pick up a set of used heads? Check out LS1tech, there classifieds are HUGE.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Whatever you do, get them ported. You will be kicking yourself later and the power is really worth it. A good set of heads are certainly not cheap, but im pretty sure the LS6 heads should come with springs and the other valvetrain stuff. Why not pick up a set of used heads? Check out LS1tech, there classifieds are HUGE.
    dont wanna get used and something be wrong with them or something go wrong faster been ripped off before not on here but just rather have new

I wouldn't bother with buying unported heads and then getting them ported after the fact. Finding a good reputable shop is difficult. If you do know of one, the labor isn't cheap. Not many even bother with much hand porting anymore other than to touch up what a CNC didn't do. The ones that port completely by hand and are any good at it will spend several days on and off the flow bench. If they don't at least have an idea of what these 15 degree heads like, I wouldn't let them touch the heads. Easy to ruin a set.

With that said I'd spring for heads already CNC ported. Most reputable LS shops have a pretty good handle on what works with head porting now, they've been out for the better part of 12 years now. Some are still better than others, and you'll get what you pay for.

Since you already have a 224/230 cam I'd stick with that. Invest your money on the best heads you can afford. On a budget alot of people go for the CNC ported patriot LS6 heads, but I hear of alot of dissapointed dyno numbers,,,seems everyone wants a dyno queen,,,and since you are wanting 450 rwhp,,,,well,,,,,I'd probably go straight for some AFR's or Trickflows and see where that gets ya. At that point you need to decide if you want to spend the coin for a FAST intake or stick with an LS6.
    It sounds to me you are looking at every little HP advantage you can, in which case the FAST would be your choice.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I wouldn't bother with buying unported heads and then getting them ported after the fact. Finding a good reputable shop is difficult. If you do know of one, the labor isn't cheap. Not many even bother with much hand porting anymore other than to touch up what a CNC didn't do. The ones that port completely by hand and are any good at it will spend several days on and off the flow bench. If they don't at least have an idea of what these 15 degree heads like, I wouldn't let them touch the heads. Easy to ruin a set.

With that said I'd spring for heads already CNC ported. Most reputable LS shops have a pretty good handle on what works with head porting now, they've been out for the better part of 12 years now. Some are still better than others, and you'll get what you pay for.

Since you already have a 224/230 cam I'd stick with that. Invest your money on the best heads you can afford. On a budget alot of people go for the CNC ported patriot LS6 heads, but I hear of alot of dissapointed dyno numbers,,,seems everyone wants a dyno queen,,,and since you are wanting 450 rwhp,,,,well,,,,,I'd probably go straight for some AFR's or Trickflows and see where that gets ya. At that point you need to decide if you want to spend the coin for a FAST intake or stick with an LS6.
    It sounds to me you are looking at every little HP advantage you can, in which case the FAST would be your choice.
    i have heard bad news on trickflow staying away from them for how much they cost and afr i have heard good but heard that the ls6 are just as good if ported can do just as well as the afrs

and if im aiming for higher numbers i have been told i will atleast need to get a 230 or bigger cam i can sell my ls6 polish black intake and heads and cam just around tulsa or on the site if i want to upgrade all of these things and my car will be down awhile in less i get another job or raise can put about a 1000 in to it ever month and ahalf got a grand saved for now could maybe get close to another grand with the heads cam and intake if i leave the heads assembled with springs push rods and pistons

White
    1999 Camaro SS

i am not saying your wrong just what i have heard from some other fbody owners and people who have had trick flow

how ever i have also heard trick flow are the best heads you can get and will get you some good numbers just not willing to take that chance for the money

Nothing wrong with the Trickflows, I've used their 18 degree heads on a gen 1 build and loved the power they made.
    I've seen many applications make good power on LS engines as well. Keep in mind they offer a 13.5 degree head that gives them a nice flow advantage over the other 15 degree heads on the market.

As far as ported LS6's,,,I have yet to see a set that is even comes close to comparing to a set of AFR's.
    You might get similar peak flow numbers from hogged out LS6's,,,but they in no way come close to mid lift flow numbers on the AFR's.
    I'd go out on a limb and say the AFR's are about as good as it gets for cathedral port 15 degree heads. Even their mid lift numbers are comparable to the 13.5 degree Trickflows, and that's saying alot.

If you picked the right set of heads along with a fast intake setup you can come close (if not make) you power goals with the same camshaft you are currently running. I've heard from a few tuners that is a very popular camshaft you are running, and makes close to 400 rwhp as it is with an LS6 intake and stock heads. With that said you are only ~50 hp away from your goals, and I believe an excellent set of heads and Fast intake will get you there. Not to mention make for a much more friendly setup to drive. I've seen even smaller cams come close to your power goals with AFR heads and a Fast setup.

Going the other route, with crappy heads and bigger cam might get your power goal,,,,,but it would make the engine peaky and overall miserable to drive for a street car.

It's all a matter of how much you want to spend, what you are willing to sacrafice and how fast you want to go.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Most of the ppl who buy AFR heads are not on a budget...
    Between the AFR heads and a ported FAST 90/90 your looking at an easy $4000+, and I hope you can install all that by yourself. I say save up and build it once you know you can as opposed to having to sacrifice a few $.

Most of the ppl who buy AFR heads are not on a budget...
    Between the AFR heads and a ported FAST 90/90 your looking at an easy $4000+, and I hope you can install all that by yourself. I say save up and build it once you know you can as opposed to having to sacrifice a few $.
    Exactly, and when you are working on these computer controlled fuel injected cars, I don't see how the word "budget" even fits into the equation to be completely honest about it.

These aren't the glory days anymore when you could buy a brand new muscle car for $3,495 and spend about $100-$200 to tweak it, jump in NHRA S/E per index and be competitive.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Nothing wrong with the Trickflows, I've used their 18 degree heads on a gen 1 build and loved the power they made.
    I've seen many applications make good power on LS engines as well. Keep in mind they offer a 13.5 degree head that gives them a nice flow advantage over the other 15 degree heads on the market.

As far as ported LS6's,,,I have yet to see a set that is even comes close to comparing to a set of AFR's.
    You might get similar peak flow numbers from hogged out LS6's,,,but they in no way come close to mid lift flow numbers on the AFR's.
    I'd go out on a limb and say the AFR's are about as good as it gets for cathedral port 15 degree heads. Even their mid lift numbers are comparable to the 13.5 degree Trickflows, and that's saying alot.

If you picked the right set of heads along with a fast intake setup you can come close (if not make) you power goals with the same camshaft you are currently running. I've heard from a few tuners that is a very popular camshaft you are running, and makes close to 400 rwhp as it is with an LS6 intake and stock heads. With that said you are only ~50 hp away from your goals, and I believe an excellent set of heads and Fast intake will get you there. Not to mention make for a much more friendly setup to drive. I've seen even smaller cams come close to your power goals with AFR heads and a Fast setup.

Going the other route, with crappy heads and bigger cam might get your power goal,,,,,but it would make the engine peaky and overall miserable to drive for a street car.

It's all a matter of how much you want to spend, what you are willing to sacrafice and how fast you want to go.
    as money goes i can put a 1000 in to it about every 2 months maybe month and a half just because of bills wish i was still 17 or 18 not paying bills haha could put a 1000 into it ever 2 weeks

and speed i am want to take it to the drags every now and then maybe a weekend every month or two but only race when i get something new done to it i so after i go and find what numbers i can get probably wil just go to watch but as far is rolls i do race from 40 and 60 depends on what they roll

this is why i just dont know what heads to go with id like to see some video set ups of cams close to mine with heads wish i would have got a video of mine before i started tearing it down of the idle but if i do go with trickflow or afr or any heads other then my stock ones for now i will get a bigger cam also

I'd probably concentrate more on track time and not worry so much about dyno numbers.
    Doing mods a little at a time and seeing what they are worth at the track is alot of fun. Shoot for an ET goal and see how close you can get.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

I'd probably concentrate more on track time and not worry so much about dyno numbers.
    Doing mods a little at a time and seeing what they are worth at the track is alot of fun. Shoot for an ET goal and see how close you can get.
    only this is i dont like drag racing much i like rolls more and car shows (not really competing in them just looking at others cars) im not really aiming only for dyno just would like to have more power to keep up with some cars from around here and beat some of them but would like to say that i have 440+ or so would be nice and feel good to say

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

only this is i dont like drag racing much i like rolls more and car shows (not really competing in them just looking at others cars) im not really aiming only for dyno just would like to have more power to keep up with some cars from around here and beat some of them but would like to say that i have 440+ or so would be nice and feel good to say
    I know ppl who say "I have 400 horsepower" and can pretty much kill most cars on the road (given a certain price range of course). Like mentioned above, hp numbers dont mean anything. Its all about how quickley you can cross the finish line. Given a good driver and the right parts, 450hp in a LS1 can see 10's. Get a set of ported 243's and call it a day.

Yep, there are 360 rwhp cars that run 11's,,,and there are 400 rwhp cars that run 12's. Dyno's are all over the place. Which is why I take that with a grain of salt. What it runs at the track is all that counts. Dyno's are just tuning tools. A good operator used to his dyno can tell you what the car may run based off what the car makes, but you would have to consistently visit the same dyno and operator to see honest results from your changes. A different dyno is a different story.

And what's with this roll racing stuff Real men go from a dig
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-18-2010 at 07:46 PM.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

I know ppl who say "I have 400 horsepower" and can pretty much kill most cars on the road (given a certain price range of course). Like mentioned above, hp numbers dont mean anything. Its all about how quickley you can cross the finish line. Given a good driver and the right parts, 450hp in a LS1 can see 10's. Get a set of ported 243's and call it a day.
    is this a good set of heads
    PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads 202/160 valves that are stainless steel rev race valves. 59cc chamber, they bench flowed 316 cfm on intake side at 600 lift and 248 cfm exhaust at 600 lift. valve springs are good for 625 lift friend is selling them

how do you know if they are 243s? first ls1 last car was a v6 camaro only 19 still learning haha

If they are 5.3 heads, they won't be LS6's.
    The 5.3 heads are popular because the small combustion chambers bump the compression.
    But the LS6 heads do the same thing, bumping 1/2 point to 10.5. So I'm guessing the 5.3's will bump the compression higher than that.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Yep, there are 360 rwhp cars that run 11's,,,and there are 400 rwhp cars that run 12's. Dyno's are all over the place. Which is why I take that with a grain of salt. What it runs at the track is all that counts. Dyno's are just tuning tools. A good operator used to his dyno can tell you what the car may run based off what the car makes, but you would have to consistently visit the same dyno and operator to see honest results from your changes. A different dyno is a different story.

And what's with this roll racing stuff Real men go from a dig
    race more then one person at a time on a roll and highway late at nite with some friends

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information