Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Thumbs up raced a 240 tonight

raced my buddies 240sx tonight which is completely gutted inside, he runs with a sr20 and turbo thats all i know. anyways we did a 40 pull...3 honks... and it was a very smooth pull i did on him, by at least a car length then i tap out in 2nd cause oncoming traffic. he tells me that was 12-13psi so he says alright im maxing out on 15psi. next run. we start at 60, im in 3rd and after 3 honks...i smoothly pull away by about 1 length, hit 4th and gain a few more but more traffic was comin up so it had to end. i swear i absolutely love the power these cars have stock they pull amazing good ol chevy muscle. well we finally ended our conflict over whose car is faster and yaa baby! although his car would probly beat me off the line i gotta give him some credit its a nice car as well.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6 Hard Top - Sebring Silver - All Original, Bone stock
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top - Arctic White - Free Mods, Lid, TB Bypass, 160* stat, Racetronix HP255Lph, Exhaust cutout, LT1 Eibach Springs, Bilstein HDs, Poly Sway Bushings, BMR STB, Torsen gear LSD 10 Bolt

2000 Camaro z28

Nice kill, gotta love muscle.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

we come out the hole pretty quick. most of my racing i beat them off the line, even if they are faster when you jump ahead a car it takes a bit to get to you and pass you. from a dig to 60/80 it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

good kill. sr20s are quick man.

Quote Originally Posted by jakez28 View Post
    raced my buddies 240sx tonight which is completely gutted inside, he runs with a sr20 and turbo thats all i know. anyways we did a 40 pull...3 honks... and it was a very smooth pull i did on him, by at least a car length then i tap out in 2nd cause oncoming traffic. he tells me that was 12-13psi so he says alright im maxing out on 15psi. next run. we start at 60, im in 3rd and after 3 honks...i smoothly pull away by about 1 length, hit 4th and gain a few more but more traffic was comin up so it had to end. i swear i absolutely love the power these cars have stock they pull amazing good ol chevy muscle. well we finally ended our conflict over whose car is faster and yaa baby! although his car would probly beat me off the line i gotta give him some credit its a nice car as well.
    Sounds like your friend needs to get that thing tuned up. My stock turbo SRed 240 was running door to door with stockish LS1s back in the day. The motor has a lot of potential. Strong 10 bolt main girdle, and a bottom end able to hold 450-500whp with a headgasket. You will laugh when you see the size of the stock turbo that comes on the SR20DET. They are no bigger than your fist. They are so inefficient that the turbo can't flow enough air at higher RPMs and the boost falls off running anything higher than 10psi.

Also to debunk your statement, boosted 4 cylinders are rather difficult to get off the line, on the street, for most people.... but at least 240s have the advantage of RWD over most other imports.

Good kill.
    Last edited by Superluminal; 06-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Nice kill. My friend has a 240 all built and I have to give him credit its fast. Cant wait to boost my LS1
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Sounds like your friend needs to get that thing tuned up. My stock turbo SRed 240 was running door to door with stockish LS1s back in the day. The motor has a lot of potential. Strong 10 bolt main girdle, and a bottom end able to hold 450-500whp with a headgasket. You will laugh when you see the size of the stock turbo that comes on the SR20DET. They are no bigger than your fist. They are so inefficient that the turbo can't flow enough air at higher RPMs and the boost falls off running anything higher than 10psi.

Also to debunk your statement, boosted 4 cylinders are rather difficult to get off the line, on the street, for most people.... but at least 240s have the advantage of RWD over most other imports.

Good kill.
    yep, t28s suck. If i owned a 240 id build the KA up

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    yep, t28s suck. If i owned a 240 id build the KA up
    S13 SR20s came with a T25, which is even more pathetic. The T25 is only good to about 240-250whp on 14psi and a healthy motor and tune. The T28 came on the S14/S15 SR20s. That turbo is good for up to 300whp at around 18psi. The S15 T28 is dual ball bearing and can make a bit more power with less lag than the S14 T28. A lot of guys prefer the small T28 as a turbo upgrade on the S13 SR20s because you can make up to 300whp with very little turbo lag. This is ideal for a lot of the drift guys and can easily net you well into the 12s in the 1/4.

As for the KA24, in stock form it isn't superior to the SR20 in many respects. The head doesn't flow well, and the internals (except for the beefy rods) aren't designed to be boosted, although it can make some power on a stock motor if tuned right on the right setup. The SR will get you to around 450whp with much more reliability on the stock internals than a KA24 can offer. After that, owners will be looking to build the motor and that's where the KA24 can come out ahead.

If you are going for the full build the KA24 is the motor to go with since it has a iron block and .4L more displacement than the SR20. That means more torque than an SR20 with an equivalent setup. Being an LS1 guy, you know what that means.

It's no surprise that all the fast drag 240s running a Nissan 4 cylinders are using built KA24s on stalled autos. For the street thought, an SR20 with a nice turbo setup should do fine. I had one that was built and was wicked fast, but I always wished I'd tried the KA24 instead.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    S13 SR20s came with a T25, which is even more pathetic. The T25 is only good to about 240-250whp on 14psi and a healthy motor and tune. The T28 came on the S14/S15 SR20s. That turbo is good for up to 300whp at around 18psi. The S15 T28 is dual ball bearing and can make a bit more power with less lag than the S14 T28. A lot of guys prefer the small T28 as a turbo upgrade on the S13 SR20s because you can make up to 300whp with very little turbo lag. This is ideal for a lot of the drift guys and can easily net you well into the 12s in the 1/4.

As for the KA24, in stock form it isn't superior to the SR20 in many respects. The head doesn't flow well, and the internals (except for the beefy rods) aren't designed to be boosted, although it can make some power on a stock motor if tuned right on the right setup. The SR will get you to around 450whp with much more reliability on the stock internals than a KA24 can offer. After that, owners will be looking to build the motor and that's where the KA24 can come out ahead.

If you are going for the full build the KA24 is the motor to go with since it has a iron block and .4L more displacement than the SR20. That means more torque than an SR20 with an equivalent setup. Being an LS1 guy, you know what that means.

It's no surprise that all the fast drag 240s running a Nissan 4 cylinders are using built KA24s on stalled autos. For the street thought, an SR20 with a nice turbo setup should do fine. I had one that was built and was wicked fast, but I always wished I'd tried the KA24 instead.
    you spoke my mind. Yea i couldnt remember if it was the T25 or the T28 that came stock, i just remember the T28s being in a lot of them

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

yeah now that ive asked him i believe he told me he had a garret t25 turbo and that hes putting down 240 -250 to the wheels, his car weighs no more than 3000 as well

yeah now that ive asked him i believe he told me he had a garret t25 turbo and that hes putting down 240 -250 to the wheels, his car weighs no more than 3000 as well
    Yeah, way back in the day my stock turbo SR dynoed at 244whp at 14psi (with boost falloff to 10-12psi towards redline) if I remember correctly. The car also weighed in at 2610 with full interior, minus spare tire and tools. This was the SE fastback model with power windows/locks. The car went low 13s all day long on drag radials. My best run, from what I can remember, on the stock turbo was a 13.0@106mph. The car eventually got built with a nice turbo setup and became a monster.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Yeah his car is fully built suspension, rearend everything, its ridiculously illegal out here in cali, even when he does u-turns he get wheel hop/spin on his inside rear wheel thats how stiff it is..quite a rough ride though.

Yeah his car is fully built suspension, rearend everything, its ridiculously illegal out here in cali, even when he does u-turns he get wheel hop/spin on his inside rear wheel thats how stiff it is..quite a rough ride though.
    The rear end doesn't need building on a 240SX. It is quite renowned for being one of the strongest import rear ends. Many guys swap in Silvia/240SX differentials into other imports so that it can cope with the power. I was running around 500whp on slicks on the factory rear end with a Nissan J30 differential (same as 240SX but with 3.92 final) and never had an issue with mine. I also had one running in my cammed LS1 240, with no issues. The only downside is that all early Nissan differentials that came limited slip used a viscous setup (this wears out over time). The majority of the 240s here in the states came with an open differential, and if you did have one with the viscous limited slip, it was probably worn out. The chattering/hopping your friend has is probably due to either an expensive 2 way diff (usually used for drifting), or a welded open differential (which basically locks the rear axles full time).

My car had 16 way adjustable coilovers, so I could set it anywhere from medium stiffness for street use, soft for hard launches at the track to get a some squat, or really stiff to keep the chassis from pitching and rolling when sliding the car. Most people don't know how to properly set up suspension so they just ride really stiff all the time thinking that the car is going to handle better, which is not the case. Suspension needs to be adjusted and tuned just like the motor, in order to get the best results for your application. Most riceboys don't understand this.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

well said man haha i 100% agree

none yet

My bro has a 93 240 with almost 200k miles on it. when we ripped the engine apart to replace a head gasket the cylinder walls were still clean (this was done about a year ago). but sadly silvia(thats her name) is now sitting in my bro's garage with the engine stripped down to the block waiting for another engine.

pewter
    2001 SS Camaro

last sat i killed a 06 gt runnin 12.5 i walked all over him about 4links from a 50 roll it was fun

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice kill, OP.

Thread Information