Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello!

2006 Pacifica

to take apart, replace and put back together?

Any special tools needed? I have the usual, ratchet set, breaker bar, etc.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlairF View Post
    to take apart, replace and put back together?

Any special tools needed? I have the usual, ratchet set, breaker bar, etc.
    Pretty much unless you see something scarey laying in the valley or damage to the cam or the roller it self on the lifter.. You'll need a torque wrench (not fully nessasary but good practice), some extensions, swivels and so forth..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-30-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added to

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I also recommend a can of spray (Hi-tack) or brush on permatex, top end kit# HS9917PT-2, it will come with more than you'll need for the job, but it will have all you need as well.. Spare gaskets come in handy ..
    Good luck, and keep us posted.. Any questions don't hesitate to ask, pictures are good and can help too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-30-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Shoot! hopefully you get this b4 you start.. Up under the cowl there are push pins that will tear the crap out of your hands and arms.. I tore my arms all up doing mine.. Later I found out from Pajeff, that you can cut the ends off to make life a little easier on your hands and arms.

Basic tools you'll need..

3/8 drive ratchet and various sockets, metric and standard, extentions of various lengths, swivel.

Razor blade or a small putty knife or gasket removal tool, just be carefull not to damage gasket surfaces..

Heavy duty engine cleaner/degreaser. Wipe down the matting surfaces with the cleaner sprayed on a shop rag, don't spray the gasket surfaces directly on the motor.. This could get dirt and debris down into your engine..

Various wrenches, screw drivers, needle nose pliers, channel locks come in handy too..
    Torque wrench, not really nessasary but nice if you have gorilla hands like me and are prone to over tighten things lol..

The gasket kit I listed should come with lower mani silicone sealant, but I'd grab some "copper" high temp silicone rtv.. Just incase the sealant in the box is dried up like mine was lol..

Remember to disconnect the batt, and purge fuel pressure at the valve shown in the picture (before) you start.. Put a pan underneath where the thermostat housing is to catch the mess you're about to make lol.. Once everything is off use some shop rags to soak up any coolant that gets into the valley.

Once you're all done and everything is back together I recomend changing the oil to get rid of any coolant that may have dripped into the pan..

Again any (?) give us a shout, or shoot me a PM..

2006 Pacifica

Yeah, i can't tackle this yet, wife is in the hospital, and gotta take care of that first. I am hoping i might be able to find someone here in Columbus that has done this before too. But if not, it will be a little while before i can dig in.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by BlairF View Post
    Yeah, i can't tackle this yet, wife is in the hospital, and gotta take care of that first. I am hoping i might be able to find someone here in Columbus that has done this before too. But if not, it will be a little while before i can dig in.
    Sorry to hear that man.. Hope everything is ok.. Keep us posted..

Thread Information