Thread: Header install

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

Header install

about 3 months ago, I put a set of Ceramic Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with the 3" Texas Speed and Performance Off-Road Y pipe as well. The headers weren't that bad. If you have the option to buy wire extensions for the O2 sensors DO IT! I haven't had a problem running mine, but its more of a waste of time trying to re-wire it. I would reccommend putting 3" high flow cats on it if you arent going to put a cam in the car. I used the 1 3/4 and I picked up b/w 12-20 hsp and about 20 ft/lbs of torque. I also reccommend if yo have high mileage over 75000 to go ahead and replace the oxygen sensors in the front. Also, make sure you don't even waste your time putting the headers on until you have some O2 sensor simulators for the rear or plan on getting tuned in the very near future. You'll be able to keep your gas mileage or probably better as mine in now better than stock.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I want to know what kind of o2's you went with when you replaced yours. I have to replace my o2's now so I'm trying to find the best ones. I heard Denso's are good, but was wondering about Bosch.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

As far as 02's, go with stock corvette (C5) REAR 02's if you are running long tubes without emissions. They will reach, and you might as well replace them while you're down there.

One thing though, if you get any kind of coating on the headers, I would drive around with the car in the mode where it ignores the 02's (Can't remember if its closed loop or open) for a few weeks. The coating on the headers will almost without a doubt foul the 02 sensor, and I don't know if that would be covered under the 1 year warranty on the O2's

Just my $.02

NBM
    98 Trans Am

If you get a hold of someone with LS1 edit just get them to yank the codes in the computer for you back o2 sensors. I just put my headers on about a week ago and did foul my o2 sensors and my MPG went way down hill. I just went to autozone and got a set of Bosch O2 sensors for about 130.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

how did you know you fouled your sensors out?
    thanks
    J

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

O2 sensors

Dude Bosch work just fine dont waste your money

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

fouled O2 sensors

You'll know if you screwed up your O2 sensor if you read the code it pulls and it says low voltage or shorted heater circuit either way ante up 70bucks for another sensorbut be careful which one you replace bank 2 is passenger side and bank 1 is driverside.You ask me how I know this, i tell you i am a mechanic.

NBM
    98 Trans Am

linegtd is right about bank 1 and bank 2. I fouled bank 2. You'll know when you foul your sensors. Mine was stalling real bad, almost like I was out of gas. Once my codes were yanked and my SES light came back on, I knew what the hell had happened. I guess, correct me if I'm wrong, the coating from the headers is what had fouled mine, because they working perfect before I put headers on.

car smart member

white
    2000 / TA ...lol

headers

The O2 sensors can cause that problem but if you used anti-seize and got it anywhere other than on the threads, it could of also gave you a problem

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by linegtdt52
    Dude Bosch work just fine dont waste your money
    When I said stock C5 O2's, I didn't mean GM OEM stuff, I was just saying that for the length of the wires. There's not a thing wrong with the Bosch sensors.

Thread Information