Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

How many "cammed" 4V 5.0s have you ever heard? There is virtually no idling in that video, which is the only way you're going to hear a "lope". While we don't know for sure what is or is not done to the engine, you're simply looking for a reason to not believe it. Knock yourself out.

Also...unrelated...they made 3 shifts, and thus only used 4 gears on that 10.97 pass. By doing a little math, the car likely has 3.73 gears, and certainly does not have 4.10s or greater (would force a shift into 5th).

Regardless of whats been done they are good running cars without question. I'm surprised at how well my neighbors new stang runs, they are stout cars for sure.

Black
    2000 Z-28

No side mirrors or mufflers? Yeah not exactly streetable....great times nonetheless. I'd venture there's hundreds of pounds taken out.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Taking off the mirrors is something I certainly wouldn't do. Then again, its a brand new combination, and when you want to run a number, I guess you do what you have to do.

I still think somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 lbs worth of weight reduction is probably about right - thought that is admittedly nothing more than a guess (or internet speculation, to use my own words). How would they get there? Biggest single reduction was likely wheels/tires...60 lbs, maybe more? Removing the passenger seat probably 45-ish, and rear seat around 40. Catback - I don't know...30 lbs? Front sway bar, perhaps 25 lbs. Mirrors? 10, maybe, LOL. But who knows what else or what all. We all have to wait for the silly magazine to come out.

For reference, the quickest cars on LS1Tech's "Stock Internal" list all have very massive weight reduction - one under 2900 lb race weight (which includes driver).

MM+FF ran a 12.35@112 with drag radials. I saw it today in there magazine,but cant find it online.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Taking off the mirrors is something I certainly wouldn't do. Then again, its a brand new combination, and when you want to run a number, I guess you do what you have to do.

I still think somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 lbs worth of weight reduction is probably about right - thought that is admittedly nothing more than a guess (or internet speculation, to use my own words). How would they get there? Biggest single reduction was likely wheels/tires...60 lbs, maybe more? Removing the passenger seat probably 45-ish, and rear seat around 40. Catback - I don't know...30 lbs? Front sway bar, perhaps 25 lbs. Mirrors? 10, maybe, LOL. But who knows what else or what all. We all have to wait for the silly magazine to come out.

For reference, the quickest cars on LS1Tech's "Stock Internal" list all have very massive weight reduction - one under 2900 lb race weight (which includes driver).
    Yeah I'm actually a bit suprised they'd go to those lengths w/ a car that's brand spanking new! I understand wanting to put up impressive #'s but come on....that's borderline absurd w/ a $35k car IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    the car isn't new at all. just the engine and trans. there is piles of suspension and differential parts out for them.
    Reading comprehension. I was referring to the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Yeah I'm actually a bit suprised they'd go to those lengths w/ a car that's brand spanking new! I understand wanting to put up impressive #'s but come on....that's borderline absurd w/ a $35k car IMO.
    When it's a shop project.... why not?

I've seen brand new C6 Zo6s and GTRs get the same treatment in the quest for performance.

Doesn't sound all that strange to me. I've seen it carried to extremes in some of the stuff I was involved in.
    There are so many tricky ways to save weight without people even knowing it,,,,that stuff listed doesn't even touch the surface.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    That Mustang is not cammed. It's a DOHC motor so you would need 4 cams. Since I don't think there are any out on the market yet, you would have to regrind your own. The car is still too new and there is little aftermarket R&D on the motor yet. The car definitely has weight reduction, possibly more than what they said.

Still, 10s is not impossible. The car is making well over 400hp to the wheels, it has slicks, a good driver, and weight reduction.

Put full bolt ons on a healthy LS1, with an aggressive tune, slicks, a good driver, and weight reduction and I guarantee the car will get into the 11s with traction.

Power, traction, and driver skill - you have these things and a car will go fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Reading comprehension. I was referring to the motor.
    goes for you too. you said the car is too new. you mentioned the car and the engine as being to new, and you are wrong.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

How many "cammed" 4V 5.0s have you ever heard? There is virtually no idling in that video, which is the only way you're going to hear a "lope". While we don't know for sure what is or is not done to the engine, you're simply looking for a reason to not believe it. Knock yourself out.

Also...unrelated...they made 3 shifts, and thus only used 4 gears on that 10.97 pass. By doing a little math, the car likely has 3.73 gears, and certainly does not have 4.10s or greater (would force a shift into 5th).

i thot u could only hear a lope at redline............... no crap at idle thats what i heard. as a matter of fact twice and it sounds like a nasty cam o well not gonna argue. it is a nice car definately would be one of the only fords i would drive

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

LOL. Where in that video is the car idling for more than perhaps a fraction of a second? My guess is that you're mistaking the rev limiter at launch for a nasty cam. Also, "nasty" cams on 4V motors are an extreme rarity - not because nobody uses them, but rather because big duration just isn't needed.

LOL. Where in that video is the car idling for more than perhaps a fraction of a second? My guess is that you're mistaking the rev limiter at launch for a nasty cam. Also, "nasty" cams on 4V motors are an extreme rarity - not because nobody uses them, but rather because big duration just isn't needed.
    You could be here all day educating people on Modular cam specs lol.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

i know what a rev limiter sounds like its before he is staging and then he floors it and launches. I know that it does sound big i have never heard a DOHC lope that hard just thought it was different im not going to argue with you if i hear a cam or not.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    goes for you too. you said the car is too new. you mentioned the car and the engine as being to new, and you are wrong.
    Don't play stupid with me. You know full well I was talking about the motor. I know the 5th generation Mustang has been around since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    i know what a rev limiter sounds like its before he is staging and then he floors it and launches. I know that it does sound big i have never heard a DOHC lope that hard just thought it was different im not going to argue with you if i hear a cam or not.
    Rev limiter? Are you referring to the 2-step? It's not cammed, end of story.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

This thread is great. Some guys make it sound like the new Mustangs are going to come to our house and light our F Boadies on fire.

Bottom line is, when you have cars as mathmatically close as the Fbody's and NEW Mustangs, you can wrench all day long and get differant numbers from each. Go to a differant track, get a car built on Friday...it will change the numbers again. I'm going to walk in to a dealership and buy the car I want rather than the faster one, even if the "pig" of a Camaro is a bit slower. It's a much nicer looking car.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    This thread is great. Some guys make it sound like the new Mustangs are going to come to our house and light our F Boadies on fire.

Bottom line is, when you have cars as mathmatically close as the Fbody's and NEW Mustangs, you can wrench all day long and get differant numbers from each. Go to a differant track, get a car built on Friday...it will change the numbers again. I'm going to walk in to a dealership and buy the car I want rather than the faster one, even if the "pig" of a Camaro is a bit slower. It's a much nicer looking car.
    I'm completely with you.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

+1.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

This is the 10th,11th,15th thread about the 2011 stang. Several of us have said we would buy the car we want and not just the fast one. This happend some when the 03/04 Cobras came out. Again I agree I am going to buy the car I want period.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information