Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    yes, shorties that took their engineers forever to perfect lol.... something about their reverse firing order complicating things and space. Their current design netted 15ft lbs and 6 hp. If they manage to fit LT's in the same space we may see a little more power... but not much improvement. I've read articles were a good shorty can almost be as good as LT's.

They have always come with true duals... that's why stang cat back's don't net much gain if any.

Yes, exactly factory they aren't a prime candidate for boost. Unless you want to spend another grand for lower compression piston's.

And none of the GT's to this date have had 4 cams... just 2, thanks to SOHC.

Everything on this new car has already been optimized for efficiency... The only thing left is boost... and you can't do that with out spending more money to lower the compression.

This ain't a 03-04 cobra guys.... were the drive train and crank were built with 1000hp applications in mind.
    they said this about our engines when they were first introduced. no one thought you could get better flow out of a head than LS1's...took aftermarket awhile but we all know there is a smarter brain out there than the ones at ford(gonna take my shots at ford any chance i get seeing as the new 5.0 is a beast)

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I never said anything about ride and comfort, I agree with you on that. All I said was they were not that concerned about handling and when I say that I'm talking about performance handling. Will the mustang get heavier to give the buyer more comfort and a better ride perhaps. Maybe the camaro will get lighter so it can be faster who knows. All I know is people who buy these cars are more concerned about beating the other guy or gal to the next light then getting to the top of a twisty mountain road first.
    Usually. My point was just that handling has become a much higher priority for OEMs lately, no matter what type of body the performance package is offered in. Everybody is talking about the lap times their car turns at specific tracks, or how much time each suspension option cuts from their lap times. Since the popular trend lately (whether media or consumer-driven) is for muscle cars to handle like they're on rails, the OEMs have stepped up to the plate to meet that demand, and now the Mustang and Camaro are throwing down handling numbers that rival those of a C5 Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I never said anything about ride and comfort, I agree with you on that. All I said was they were not that concerned about handling and when I say that I'm talking about performance handling. Will the mustang get heavier to give the buyer more comfort and a better ride perhaps. Maybe the camaro will get lighter so it can be faster who knows. All I know is people who buy these cars are more concerned about beating the other guy or gal to the next light then getting to the top of a twisty mountain road first.
    I agree completely. We've had a couple of vettes, and although they do handle nice, I still never really cared to push them around corners much at all,,,,certainly no more than I push our solid axle cars around corners.

So I really couldn't care less if these cars come with IRS. If GM thinks thats what sells cars, then oh well But it doesn't bring me into the dealerships. Been there, done that,,,,,not impressed.

But I've always been a straight line kinda guy, always will be I suspect.
    And if you really want to dig back into the heritage of these pony cars and what they were supposed to be about,,,it had nothing to do with handling, or ride comfort. It's what started the muscle car wars and who was the first one to the next stop light.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-20-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I agree completely. We've had a couple of vettes, and although they do handle nice, I still never really cared to push them around corners much at all,,,,certainly no more than I push our solid axle cars around corners.

So I really couldn't care less if these cars come with IRS. If GM thinks thats what sells cars, then oh well But it doesn't bring me into the dealerships. Been there, done that,,,,,not impressed.

But I've always been a straight line kinda guy, always will be I suspect.
    And if you really want to dig back into the heritage of these pony cars and what they were supposed to be about,,,it had nothing to do with handling, or ride comfort. It's what started the muscle car wars and who was the first one to the next stop light.
    Not quite. Sure that's what started it, but it wasn't long before they were turning corners too. Trans Am racing racing series, anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Not quite. Sure that's what started it, but it wasn't long before they were turning corners too. Trans Am racing racing series, anybody?
    And doing it with solid axles Unlike the corvettes that had IRS since 63. And guess which one was winning....This might have been before your time, but do you remember the championship winning teams from 67 through say,,,,72????

And doing it with solid axles Unlike the corvettes that had IRS since 63. And guess which one was winning....This might have been before your time, but do you remember the championship winning teams from 67 through say,,,,72????
    I don't recall any IRS cars being in Trans Am at that point in time. All of those cars were solid axle until Porsches and Jaguars showed up later. But that wasn't my point; my point was that there was focus on handling in the beginning as well, just not as much. However, IRS tends to give the handling advantages of a well set up solid axle car without some of the drawbacks. Neither is perfect (IRS is more complex and therefore usually easier to break, solid axles aren't as forgiving of surface imperfections) but that is how the OEMs weighed out the pros and cons about each system before they decided what to install in their vehicles. Ford went with the solid axle for the best combination of strength, price, and weight, while GM went for the IRS to try to beat the Stang in the corners. Ford went more aggressive with the suspension and more practical with the rolling stock, and now the Camaro needs a bit of work to play catch up.

I don't recall any IRS cars being in Trans Am at that point in time. All of those cars were solid axle until Porsches and Jaguars showed up later. But that wasn't my point; my point was that there was focus on handling in the beginning as well, just not as much. However, IRS tends to give the handling advantages of a well set up solid axle car without some of the drawbacks. Neither is perfect (IRS is more complex and therefore usually easier to break, solid axles aren't as forgiving of surface imperfections) but that is how the OEMs weighed out the pros and cons about each system before they decided what to install in their vehicles. Ford went with the solid axle for the best combination of strength, price, and weight, while GM went for the IRS to try to beat the Stang in the corners. Ford went more aggressive with the suspension and more practical with the rolling stock, and now the Camaro needs a bit of work to play catch up.
    Vettes have been involved in SCCA since their inception in various classes.

GM seems to have gotten onto the IRS kick, first it was the new GTO and now the camaro. If they would get away from that expensive stuff it would make the cars more affordable to everyone. Not everyone wants IRS, I really don't think that's what makes or breaks the camaro anyway. But I think Ford has the right idea with a solid axle, smaller lighter package, that's what makes a pony car from my perspective. I don't want all the fancy doodads.

Unfortunately the challenger and camaro have turned into giant clydesdale horses instead of little ponies Completely missed the boat and no longer represent what they used to be.
    But society has gotten soft, they want more room, comfort, etc... so the big 3 change direction to compensate. And I can understand why. But I don't fit in to all that, guess I'll stick to classics.

Vettes have been involved in SCCA since their inception in various classes.

GM seems to have gotten onto the IRS kick, first it was the new GTO and now the camaro. If they would get away from that expensive stuff it would make the cars more affordable to everyone. Not everyone wants IRS, I really don't think that's what makes or breaks the camaro anyway. But I think Ford has the right idea with a solid axle, smaller lighter package, that's what makes a pony car from my perspective. I don't want all the fancy doodads.

Unfortunately the challenger and camaro have turned into giant clydesdale horses instead of little ponies Completely missed the boat and no longer represent what they used to be.
    But society has gotten soft, they want more room, comfort, etc... so the big 3 change direction to compensate. And I can understand why. But I don't fit in to all that, guess I'll stick to classics.
    I want light weight, quick acceleration, AND good handling, hence my plans to purchase a Corvette in the next couple of years. However, at the moment I am in need of something more practical, and a 2006-2007 CTS-V is the only reasonably priced "lightweight" modern American V-8 manual RWD sedan I can find, and therefore is the only car currently on my shopping list.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Sadly firebirdjones more people want handling over straight line performance every year. On the other car websites im on the drag racing sections have 2-10 threads and the autox/road couse sections have hundreds upron hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Sadly firebirdjones more people want handling over straight line performance every year. On the other car websites im on the drag racing sections have 2-10 threads and the autox/road couse sections have hundreds upron hundreds.
    Ya I'm aware of that,, sad but true how this country is changing and getting soft,,,,,but it's not going to sway me to the other side. It is what it is. I enjoy what I've got and feel damn lucky to have it. I don't feel I need to spend even more money for something that doesn't really appeal to me anyway.

There are still some of us that don't feel the car manufactures are giving us what we need, although a small percentage, I don't mind being a minority.

About the last car that made production that I really liked was the 2000 Cobra R from Ford. A bare bones no nonsense car. They didn't have any trouble getting rid of them,,,,so there is a market, albeit small. If GM would do something like that I'd be at the door first thing in the morning placing my order. Otherwise as far as I'm concerned they can keep wasting their time

I want light weight, quick acceleration, AND good handling, hence my plans to purchase a Corvette in the next couple of years. However, at the moment I am in need of something more practical, and a 2006-2007 CTS-V is the only reasonably priced "lightweight" modern American V-8 manual RWD sedan I can find, and therefore is the only car currently on my shopping list.
    Those caddies aren't exactly light either. Like I mentioned above,,,,about the last car that offered what you are looking for was the 2000 Cobra R.
    The vette isn't bad,,,,but it still comes with too many cushy doodads to suit me.

Arctic White, red/gray

Those caddies aren't exactly light either. Like I mentioned above,,,,about the last car that offered what you are looking for was the 2000 Cobra R.
    The vette isn't bad,,,,but it still comes with too many cushy doodads to suit me.
    He said sedan, apparently he needs 4 doors.

The 2000 cobra r was easy to get rid of cause they were badass and there was only 300ish made. Although the new 5.0 with 412hp blows the 5.4 385hp out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    He said sedan, apparently he needs 4 doors.

The 2000 cobra r was easy to get rid of cause they were badass and there was only 300ish made. Although the new 5.0 with 412hp blows the 5.4 385hp out of the water.
    Sedans are 2 doors as well from my era

Ya the HP numbers don't tell the whole story though, the Cobra R did everything better, and no A/C, roll up windows, no radio,,,that's my kinda car

Too bad the production number was set in stone,,,they could have sold alot more if they wanted to.

Arctic White, red/gray

Sedans are 2 doors as well from my era

Ya the HP numbers don't tell the whole story though, the Cobra R did everything better, and no A/C, roll up windows, no radio,,,that's my kinda car

Too bad the production number was set in stone,,,they could have sold alot more if they wanted to.
    Well I like my cars with radios as I love music and I have a motorcycle if I wanna go fast without tunes, windows doesnt matter to much and I have owned 2 cars without A/C. Didnt like the body on the cobra R either. I understand the cobra r was a purpose built beast.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Well, I don't know if anyone mentioned this in this thread yet, but the new GT went 9's. Just from reading on Mustang forums, I read from a few guys that the car that ran those times definently has a decent shot of nitrous, 4 rear control arms, a C4 tranny, they relocated the battery, the car has race seats and slicks. And the tuning, that I do not know about. Maybe they figured out something with the cam timing or something like that, not so sure.

But, I personally have yet to see a stock longblock 5th gen in the 9's without some kind of heavy duty weight reduction (feel free to enlighten me if there is one out there that exists). And I'll tell you another thing, I find it funny how everyone thought the 5.0 was going to be pretty much maxxed out from the factory with it's compression ratio and whatnot, seems as if that theory has been proven wrong judging by what we have seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Well, I don't know if anyone mentioned this in this thread yet, but the new GT went 9's. Just from reading on Mustang forums, I read from a few guys that the car that ran those times definently has a decent shot of nitrous, 4 rear control arms, a C4 tranny, they relocated the battery, the car has race seats and slicks. And the tuning, that I do not know about. Maybe they figured out something with the cam timing or something like that, not so sure.

But, I personally have yet to see a stock longblock 5th gen in the 9's without some kind of heavy duty weight reduction (feel free to enlighten me if there is one out there that exists). And I'll tell you another thing, I find it funny how everyone thought the 5.0 was going to be pretty much maxxed out from the factory with it's compression ratio and whatnot, seems as if that theory has been proven wrong judging by what we have seen so far.

Eh,,,you said it has nitrous. Not so impressive in that respect. I'd expect it to be fast. I'm sure if you look around, you'll find a 5th gen in the 9's with some sort of power adder on it as well.

What I'd like to see is potential in naturally aspirated form,,,that's what speaks volumes about a car.

Yeah, I know it isn't actually a light car, but it is the only car that meets my expectations for a daily driver that doesn't weigh over 4000 pounds or cost $35k. 2000 Cobra R is a sweet car, but when I get a weekend car, it will be a Z06, with the weight further reduced by swapping lighter seats, hood, wheels, battery, etc, in addition to coilover suspension and engine mods.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    If your talking power adder LMR from Houston has a 9 Second 2010. Again we are talking power adders not N/A.

has a 427ci in it ...along with the power adder

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    has a 427ci in it ...along with the power adder
    Yup read that after the post and removed it.

Black
    2000 Z-28

It's hard to believe they can't get a 2010 SS in the 9s with the stock bottom end.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information