2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

04 GT vs. 00 Z28

So me and my buddy are putting a new clutch and gears in this guy's 04 GT. Just started tonight, and MAN, that top starter bolt is a royal PITA! The rest of the job looks pretty damn simple and straight-forward. We just started on it tonight, should have a majority of it done tomorrow night, and things wrapped up early Saturday morning. It's supposed to be 90 degrees on Saturday here, and 94 on Sunday, not including the humidity.... shall be a nice day to get some ski time in

Anybody know how many miles you need to go after replacing the clutch to fully break it in? If it's a few hundred miles, we'll have to wait another weekend, but if it's any less, I'd like to run him shortly after we get everything buttoned up Saturday

I know what the outcome will be, it'll just be interesting to see how much time it'll take me to put a given amount of space between us. I'll be sure to post a video of it as well. His only other mods are mufflers.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I would give it a good 300 miles of stop and go driving to break it in. Be sure you dont glaze the flywheel. Dont baby it. And dont beat on it. I gave mine 750 to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Don't bother putting the top starter bolt back in. NOBODY does. My 99 hasn't had a top starter bolt in 10 years - literally.

Tell him to put a couple hundred miles of normal driving (most folks normal driving...not an idiots normal driving) on the clutch before he really abuses it. Probably wouldn't hurt it to but beat on it immediately, but why take the chance.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Don't bother putting the top starter bolt back in. NOBODY does. My 99 hasn't had a top starter bolt in 10 years - literally.

Tell him to put a couple hundred miles of normal driving (most folks normal driving...not an idiots normal driving) on the clutch before he really abuses it. Probably wouldn't hurt it to but beat on it immediately, but why take the chance.
    This was the hardest part about the whole damn thing. Since it was my buddy's customer, and his priority, he called it quits before I did. He called the owner up, we put it back together (before we got the trans out), and we left it at that. The price he quoted him to do it, was right there along with the dealer, so if there's any extra added cost we're going to to eat it, because we're not pricks. Car left the house on the tow truck and on the way to the dealer this morning, glad to have it gone really

Definately sucks, but hey, it's a learning experience. If it were my car, I would've taken the time to do it. But it wasn't worth 4+ hours of frustration, cussing, and taking breaks, on something that wasn't mine

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Hey I lost against a v6 stang today so don't be so sure

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Hey I lost against a v6 stang today so don't be so sure
    Yeah right....

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    This was the hardest part about the whole damn thing. Since it was my buddy's customer, and his priority, he called it quits before I did. He called the owner up, we put it back together (before we got the trans out), and we left it at that. The price he quoted him to do it, was right there along with the dealer, so if there's any extra added cost we're going to to eat it, because we're not pricks. Car left the house on the tow truck and on the way to the dealer this morning, glad to have it gone really

Definately sucks, but hey, it's a learning experience. If it were my car, I would've taken the time to do it. But it wasn't worth 4+ hours of frustration, cussing, and taking breaks, on something that wasn't mine
    Understand, though without that top bolt, two folks that know what they are doing (ie....have experience with them) can have a 3650/T45 tranny out in 30 minutes. Have done it a few times on my back at the racetrack - between rounds - with the car on jackstands (I used to break T45 input shafts regularly.....5 of them in the 2001 racing season - cost me more than one race!) and many more than that in my garage (still on jackstands).

Next time....if there is one....you'll know....assuming you can get that stupid top bolt out to begin with. LOL.

BTW...just put a clutch in my car yesterday (G-Force T5 though, so separate bellhousing) and didn't even think about that top starter bolt.....that particular piece of hardware was lost many many moons ago....

Oh....and a 04 GT is a low-mid 14 second car in the hands of a fairly decent driver at an average track. You'll have little trouble with it - though he'll likely get you in 1st gear (thanks to the 3.37 in the low cog of the tranny). Race longer than that, and it should be no contest.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Yeah right....
    scouts honor-it was stock to

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    scouts honor-it was stock to
    He just is failing to mention the car woulldnt shift out of first lmao

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post