Black
    2002 WS6

Is recall work warranty work?

My buddy has a saturn sky with an aftermarket turbo. Recently his rear end started to whine. I found recall number 07204 i think... which states there is a factory defective pinion seal. Basically his fluid got too low and destroyed the bearings. Pontiac dealer fixed the seal under the recall....but, the damage was already done. Now they are telling him that they cant fix the rear because he has aftermarket turbos which void the warranty. This sounds like BS to me.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by RealLiveMD View Post
    My buddy has a saturn sky with an aftermarket turbo. Recently his rear end started to whine. I found recall number 07204 i think... which states there is a factory defective pinion seal. Basically his fluid got too low and destroyed the bearings. Pontiac dealer fixed the seal under the recall....but, the damage was already done. Now they are telling him that they cant fix the rear because he has aftermarket turbos which void the warranty. This sounds like BS to me.
    What does the recall say if the rear was damaged from the leak? That's going to be his only grounds to fight it. I agree with what your point is but unfortunately that's how warranty works

NBM
    99 TA

Yea, if he put a turbo on it, they won't warranty anything that could be damaged secondary to that application. I had this discussion with the dealership when my t/a was still under warranty bc I wanted to add more stuff, but didn't want to void any warranty coverage.

It might suck...but its business and they will argue that the FI caused excessive force on the rear which led to the premature failure and not the faulty seal.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    Yea, if he put a turbo on it, they won't warranty anything that could be damaged secondary to that application. I had this discussion with the dealership when my t/a was still under warranty bc I wanted to add more stuff, but didn't want to void any warranty coverage.

It might suck...but its business and they will argue that the FI caused excessive force on the rear which led to the premature failure and not the faulty seal.
    Exactly what he said. It'll take court and arbitration if you really want to persue it. I've seen it work though

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    they will argue that the FI caused excessive force on the rear which led to the premature failure and not the faulty seal.
    This.

Their money > your problems

Their legal budget > your legal budget

etc

Gray/ White

Also no recalls are not considered warranty. Its a safety issue to cover their ass before the NHTSA gets in their ass. Or EPA if its an emission recall

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Nope, not BS. If he has an aftermarket turbo on the car, he is pretty much shit out of luck. The recall was done to address what the recall was intended for, not to fix parts that were damaged further by aftermarket parts that never came with the car to begin with that enhanced the power beyond what the components were designed for.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I thought the saturn sky came with a turbo so it may have come with a turbo but just got an upgraded one.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

Its pretty much on him. He could fight it and maybe win cause they have to prove the turbo was the cause of the rearend failure and with there beign a recall on it he might win. Would it be worth his time and effort makes likely not.

white
    2000 Z28

should have put the car back to stock before he took it in.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    I'm with bubba

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Take off the aftermarket turbo and try another dealer.

Black
    2002 WS6

the turbo is too much trouble to take off and the tune wouldn't let the car run anyway...I'm thinking though that a recall shouldn't be considered warranty. Let's say I buy a 2010 camaro and use it as a rental car. In 1-2 year it now has 36000 miles. Then they find that the axles have a tendency to fall out and cause crashes. Would they not fix my car because its out of warranty. duh, I think they would.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Take off the aftermarket turbo and try another dealer.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

the turbo is too much trouble to take off and the tune wouldn't let the car run anyway...I'm thinking though that a recall shouldn't be considered warranty. Let's say I buy a 2010 camaro and use it as a rental car. In 1-2 year it now has 36000 miles. Then they find that the axles have a tendency to fall out and cause crashes. Would they not fix my car because its out of warranty. duh, I think they would.
    A recall is a corrective campaign that is no cost to the customer.
    Last edited by 98Hardtop; 04-30-2010 at 04:46 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

I'm with the consensus here - it will not be covered. It is reasonable to say the turbo could've caused extra force to the rear, and the rear isn't able to handle the additional power.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    What does the recall say if the rear was damaged from the leak? That's going to be his only grounds to fight it. I agree with what your point is but unfortunately that's how warranty works
    anything after market voids a warranty and its stupid to try and make a claim on warranty when having an aftermarket peice like that on a car. I wouldnt even have performance stickers on a car when trying to claim something under warranty. They can make any claim they want, because in the end its their opinion that matters on how whatever it is broke..

I agree with this retard above jk anyway if the recall specifically states that rears were being damaged because of leaks you can fight it, if not you're screwed. Sorry

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    anything after market voids a warranty and its stupid to try and make a claim on warranty when having an aftermarket peice like that on a car. I wouldnt even have performance stickers on a car when trying to claim something under warranty. They can make any claim they want, because in the end its their opinion that matters on how whatever it is broke..
    Not necesarily true, I had my whole tranny rebuilt under warranty with Mac mids and a bunch of other stuff done. The tech that did my warranty stuff was real cool and didn't care what I did to my car. When I put in my Mcleod clutch, I couldn't get a pedal at all. I talked to him and he said take it (the car) to the front and tell them the pedal's sticking to the floor. He bled my Mcleod master for me free of charge. Moral of the story: Don't be a dick to the dealership. Find a tech you like and make friends with him.

Gray/ White

I agree with this retard above

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I agree with this retard above jk anyway if the recall specifically states that rears were being damaged because of leaks you can fight it, if not you're screwed. Sorry
    Incorrect. Anything aftermarket does NOT void a warranty per say. There are very few things that can void a warranty(salvage title, odometer unknown, etc). That is the biggest myth there is in the automotive community. You can do whatever you want to a car, but if your modification caused the failure, then that claim can be denied, the rest of the warranty is intact. You can have engine mods done and it may cause the transmission claim to be denied, but they still have to cover the faulty window regulator.

Thread Information