Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

How do I know if the bearings are bad on rear end?

Hi my TA is almost 100k. I started to notice today increased wheel noise on the back mostly to the right. It sounds like when the bearings are dry or going bad. Anyway to check them without pulling them out?

I'm going to rotate the tires tomorrow to make sure is not the wheels. The other thing I can think off is unbalanced drive shaft.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Best thing to do is pinpoint the noise, Ensure your rear end has enough fluid in it. Have you ever changed the fluid?
    Jack up the rear of the car, spin the tires by hand and see if you can locate the noise, U joints are somewhat common for going out.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

its pretty easy to tell, it makes an unmistakable roaring noise, not a like gear whine if the wheel bearings are bad the the axles are probably bad. not to freak you out but if the wheel bearings are roaring the its best to do a complete overhaul.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Very familiar with the roaring. Two rear center sections. Pinion bearings and carrier bearings begin to roar at a certain RPM and on decel. Put your car on a lift and go through the gears or in "D" and if it doesn't make noise, then your rear needs to be rebuilt. If the car makes noise while on the lift, then your wheel bearings are going out.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes it is like a roaring noise while driving and decel. I'm trying to pinpoint if it is in the front and/or back. I just hear it on the passenger side. I have slotted discs with holes and I know that the can do some noise but I heard the roaring noise of bad bearings before and it just sounds like it. Since I got the car a year ago I always had vibration on the rear of the vehicle. I was thinking unbalance wheels but it's not the problem. i was told that the wheels are bent. i wanna try switching the wheels to the front to confirm that is the wheels. I have a feeling that the vibration may have to do with the bearings too.

I have a friend that has a lift. I'll check with him. Thinking ahead, how much will it cost to overhaul the whole rear end or can I just do the bearings? Thanks.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Cost me almost $500 to rebuild my old carrier. I had my tuner replace the pinion and bearings, carrier bearings and install a master rebuild kit(seals, etc.).

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i see. Well I have to wait until next week for the lift. How much a rebuild kit cost? and where do you recommend getting it? Does NAPA sell it? I have stock rear end 10 bolt in it. Thanks

NBM
    1998Z28

I had a vibration at certain speeds. When I had the rearend rebuilt it had messed up the axle too. So I wouldn't let it go on to long.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp you can pick up a rebuild kit from NAPA, Iv used there rebuild kits a few times for customers, not bad just ensure you get everything shimmed back the way it was. If you need a write up drop me an email and ill see what i can do for ya.
    J

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What I want to know is what causes the bearings to fail? I know the rear that came with my car went due to silicone RTV getting into the pinion bearings. Now the rear in my car currently is howling. But it hasn't been serviced. Bought used and checked/installed. I drove the car in all the snowstorms this past winter. Did something overheat?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Yepp you can pick up a rebuild kit from NAPA, Iv used there rebuild kits a few times for customers, not bad just ensure you get everything shimmed back the way it was. If you need a write up drop me an email and ill see what i can do for ya.
    J
    Thanks Sunsetoranges. I really never done one. I'm mechanical inclined and I fix my car for the most part but I keep hearing about shimming and that the pinion stuff. I mean I can probably do the axle bearings and or axles but im not sure about the carrier stuff. How do i know what parts and rebuit kit I need? i just order it by year and make? or do I just ask for a GM 10 bolt rebuild kit and parts?

Anyone knows someone in Orlando area that works with rear ends? Thanks.

Thread Information