98 Formula
    06 duramax

thoughts and ideas?

Need to replace a front speed sensor on my old truck before I sell it. I got the first caliper bolt/pin out with no problem but the second one is stripped pretty bad. It's an allen head bolt and the inside where the allen wrench goes is stripped.....not the threads.
    Pin looks like this one:

Small pic I know but that's all I could nab off the site and don't feel like enlarging it right now.

I tried to tack weld the allen wrench inside but it won't hold. There's not really enough of the head sticking out to get vice grips or a pipe wrench on since it's a rounded head. I'm going to think on it tonight and see what kinda luck I might have if I cut the pin off just behind where it mounts on the spindle and then trying to drill it out. There's also a sleeve between the caliper and spindle I'd have to cut though.
    Just curious if anyone has any other ideas or tips to getting this bitch out of there?
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I think you had the right idea when you had the welder out. That's my all time favorite way to remove any fastener.

More tac welds is what I would do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I think you had the right idea when you had the welder out. That's my all time favorite way to remove any fastener.

More tac welds is what I would do.
    I'm using an allen socket and the tacks break out a chunk of the socket or a chunk of the head on the pin. It's not that the tacks aren't holding....it's that the shit they're attaching too aren't holding. I'm most likely gonna end up having to cut it out and trying to drill it or get on it with an easy out. Easy outs historically don't work well for me...specially on a bolt that's in there pretty good so I may have to drill and tap it for an oversized pin that they sell for it. What a pain in the ass and this has just been getting the caliper off...still have to pull the hub too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Got it out......I built the head of the bolt up by welding beads around it so I could get a bite on it with a pipe wrench. As soon as I got a good bite on it she backed right out. Now, wonder what I'm gonna run into next?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

now getting the hub off the half shaft is fighting me. It's always something. I've got it to move a little using a 3 jawed puller but it's not coming off without a fight. I'm trying to get it off without ruining the bearings in the hub because there's nothing wrong with them. Hub just has to come off to put the abs sensor on.

Thread Information