Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i have a whole front nose with headlights and all, steering wheel with tilt, spoiler. remember on these noses, the chin of the spoiler the black part is over 130 new just for that part, so watch tearing that up.

You really are "the parts guy", aren't you?

The chin spoiler is in perfect condition -- no curb rash at all. The nose has just a minute amount of sag over the headlights. Other than that, it is also in great shape. The problem I have now is my ignition switch. With the column loose you had to get it in just the right position to turn the key off. Now, with everything bolted tight and in place based upon the witness marks in the column, the key is still acting up. I'll have to take it back apart to see what is going on. My guess is that the buzzer switch is interfering somehow as it was a bit quirky during reassembly.

Just for fun, PM me a price on the nose. We'll probably have the car forever and I do stockpile spare parts for our older vehicles. Thanks!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You really are "the parts guy", aren't you?

The chin spoiler is in perfect condition -- no curb rash at all. The nose has just a minute amount of sag over the headlights. Other than that, it is also in great shape. The problem I have now is my ignition switch. With the column loose you had to get it in just the right position to turn the key off. Now, with everything bolted tight and in place based upon the witness marks in the column, the key is still acting up. I'll have to take it back apart to see what is going on. My guess is that the buzzer switch is interfering somehow as it was a bit quirky during reassembly.

Just for fun, PM me a price on the nose. We'll probably have the car forever and I do stockpile spare parts for our older vehicles. Thanks!
    for the sag on the front bumper there is a company that makes aluminum pieces that bolt in and actual lift it back in place. i'm sure it is saging above the headlight "common". i think they are about 75 shipped for 2.
    if you go to the montecarloss site there is a section with approved vendors.

i do have lots of parts, they are hard to come by. these are some of my favorite cars.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Curious... what years had the aluminum honeycomb wheels, or were they an option on all SS's? Another member just posted up an LS3 swap into a Monte SS and I saw that his had aluminum wheels.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Curious... what years had the aluminum honeycomb wheels, or were they an option on all SS's? Another member just posted up an LS3 swap into a Monte SS and I saw that his had aluminum wheels.
    get me a picture. the aluminum ones are from 86-88. but 81 camaro's had them in black instead of grey which are on the 86-88 ss. i have 2 sets.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There's a pic that shows the wheels in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136761 I just realized that all the Montes I remember had the aluminum wheels -- not sure if I recall seeing one with the wheels that are on ours. If the steelies are correct for '85, then they will probably stay on the car.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

There's a pic that shows the wheels in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136761 I just realized that all the Montes I remember had the aluminum wheels -- not sure if I recall seeing one with the wheels that are on ours. If the steelies are correct for '85, then they will probably stay on the car.
    those are the ones i have. 86-88. 83-85 had 15 inch steel. i few regular montes had aluminum but in 14's. i like the 86-88 the best. but if i could find the black ones, i would get those. that guys car is an 85 you can tell by the decals on the side.
    Last edited by 1fastcamarosss11; 05-11-2010 at 05:01 AM.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

if you look in the second row next to the monte ss rims those other 2 on the right are the other aluminum monte 14 inch rims i think 87/88. the regular monte in 87,88 had the euro headlights also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...Q5fAccessories

wow i forgot about the gold ones too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-81...item2eacf629b7

and these are the ones i want. of course 900 for the ones i want.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-81...item53e13c8099
    Last edited by 1fastcamarosss11; 05-11-2010 at 05:09 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tomorrow after work we take the Monte for its first official outing. We spent the evening cleaning it up. After washing it, I buffed the hood, roof and trunk with a Norton Liquid Ice foam pad and Presta Strata 1000 Compound. Cut most of the gunk and marks but left lots of swirls (I just love black paint). So I hit it with Presta Chroma Swirl Remover and then wiped it down with a microfiber towel. It looks 110% better than it did, but could still use some work. I'll get some pics at the cruise in tomorrow.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Have fun

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Before leaving for vacation, I was able to get the Monte up in the air and pulled the wheels to look the brakes and suspension over. Everything looks good, just some light surface rust and dirty, especially the wheel wells. I bought new front pads, wheel seals, and brake hoses and will get those swapped out. Being a 25 year old car, I want to re-pack the front wheel bearings before we drive the car much more. I also picked up a new set of valve cover seals to install. After pulling the back drums, I couldn't resist cleaning them up and giving them two coats of POR. I also scraped out all the old undercoating in the rear wheel well and re-shot it. Makes a world of difference already.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Before leaving for vacation, I was able to get the Monte up in the air and pulled the wheels to look the brakes and suspension over. Everything looks good, just some light surface rust and dirty, especially the wheel wells. I bought new front pads, wheel seals, and brake hoses and will get those swapped out. Being a 25 year old car, I want to re-pack the front wheel bearings before we drive the car much more. I also picked up a new set of valve cover seals to install. After pulling the back drums, I couldn't resist cleaning them up and giving them two coats of POR. I also scraped out all the old undercoating in the rear wheel well and re-shot it. Makes a world of difference already.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    looks good. i have some aluminum rear drums from a grand national if you need them. i think they would need to be turned. but save about 8-10lbs per side.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

looks good. i have some aluminum rear drums from a grand national if you need them. i think they would need to be turned. but save about 8-10lbs per side.
    Didn't know they made aluminum ones for the G body -- reminds me of the big Buick aluminum drums of days gone by. I'll stick to steelies on this one as it will never be a fast car. Thanks for the offer!

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Didn't know they made aluminum ones for the G body -- reminds me of the big Buick aluminum drums of days gone by. I'll stick to steelies on this one as it will never be a fast car. Thanks for the offer!
    i have some brand new headers to wake that 180hp up too.

if you really ever need something pm me. i do have tons for these cars.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nice looking car. My brother had a silver 85. Always liked that car. We towed a boat 8 hours into canada with it one year and loaded down with 4 guys.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

i have some brand new headers to wake that 180hp up too.

if you really ever need something pm me. i do have tons for these cars.

I'll say the same thing I said about our Trans Am... right before I tore into it and started replacing stuff: I am going to keep this one stock. You'll be getting a PM from me for anything I need though.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    nice looking car. My brother had a silver 85. Always liked that car. We towed a boat 8 hours into canada with it one year and loaded down with 4 guys.

Thanks. Even though it doesn't have a whole lot of hp, it's still a V8 and with that comes torque thankfully. It is a very comfortable car to ride in.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I remember when these were popular. Not sure there were many auto cars before these that would scratch 2nd gear from the factory. Keep in mind this has been over 20 years ago but my brother had to have something internal replaced on his that was a known issue in the 85's and I want to say it was the cam. Something about soft metal or something like that? Maybe see if there are any TSB's from back then on them....Cutlass would be able to look that up at the dealership and if there are dealership records on the car he could find out if it was replaced under warranty. Like I said, this has been many many beer/bbq parties ago so I can't recall the specifics.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I remember when these were popular. Not sure there were many auto cars before these that would scratch 2nd gear from the factory. Keep in mind this has been over 20 years ago but my brother had to have something internal replaced on his that was a known issue in the 85's and I want to say it was the cam. Something about soft metal or something like that? Maybe see if there are any TSB's from back then on them....Cutlass would be able to look that up at the dealership and if there are dealership records on the car he could find out if it was replaced under warranty. Like I said, this has been many many beer/bbq parties ago so I can't recall the specifics.

It'll bark the tires when it hits second -- found that out on the first drive. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check into it and maybe shoot Cutlass a PM.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

It'll bark the tires when it hits second -- found that out on the first drive. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check into it and maybe shoot Cutlass a PM.
    the valves are bad on these cars, they will burn oil and smoke a bunch on start up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

the valves are bad on these cars, they will burn oil and smoke a bunch on start up.

Guides wear out quickly? We get a puff of smoke on cold start up and then it immediately goes away. Acts just like hardened valve seals.

2011 Prius

Nice car, I would love one of these.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information