Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Having a little struggle with the steering column this evening. I had to tear it down quite a ways to tighten up the torx head bolts under the cover (not the ones you see in the pic). You could actually move the steering wheel around quite a bit as they had loosened up.

I have all the complicated stuff back together... but can't seem to get the turn signal cam assembly to seat. It appears to be hitting on the key buzzer switch (circled in red below). If I pull the key buzzer, the turn signal assembly slides right into place. Not sure what is going on. I have tried rotating it, angling it, applying light pressure, and it just won't seat. Any trick to this?

Click for full size
    Maybe you missed something putting it back together. But here maybe this will help some.. http://www.stolenandrecovered.com/video/2.php

I know you're trying to put it back together but maybe you skipped or jumped a step?
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-29-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wow! You made it here and back to AAG without a hitch. I am impressed.

Yeah, it has to be something stupid that is hanging up the switch assembly. I have had the key buzzer in and out several times to make sure it is fully seated. I'll try again tomorrow night.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Imho looks like the switch has broken away from the turn sig control to me.?...? Not sure though but something does'nt look right there. Because to me the switch looks to be the same material as the turn sig ring. The edges of the signal switch look freyed like when plasitc snaps in a weak spot. If that makes any sense..
    It makes sense what you are saying. But the manual clearly shows the buzzer as being a separate unit. You have to turn the key to "run" to get it in and out of its slot. I had no difficulty removing the turn signal assembly and am 99% certain that I did not break anything.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Also, there are two contacts on the back of the turn signal assembly that those long tabs ride against.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Oh man...I used to be familiar with that setup. My old 87 Z24 had that setup if I recall. I think you have to turn the key to "run" to get that piece to sit flush...if that is what you are trying to do anyway.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Oh man...I used to be familiar with that setup. My old 87 Z24 had that setup if I recall. I think you have to turn the key to "run" to get that piece to sit flush...if that is what you are trying to do anyway.

I think I tried that... won't hurt to try it again tomorrow though.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

It makes sense what you are saying. But the manual clearly shows the buzzer as being a separate unit. You have to turn the key to "run" to get it in and out of its slot. I had no difficulty removing the turn signal assembly and am 99% certain that I did not break anything.
    In before the edit.. Check my post maybe that will better help..

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Man. When I am tired...I lose my memory. Sorry Jeff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok -- watched the vids (which were quite good) and it looks like the tech placed the buzzer switch in the column before inserting the ignition cylinder. I'll pull it apart and try it that way this evening. On disassembly, the buzzer switch came out first, that's why I put it in last.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We have success. Turns out that the spring clip that keeps the key buzzer switch in contact with the key cylinder had moved up during removal. Once I looked everything over again, I realized that this needed to be on the bottom and then everything fit like it should. Not sure how they did it in the video, as the key cylinder retainer screw is blocked by the buzzer switch -- so the cylinder had to be in place first.

After getting it all together, I backed it out and gave it a quick bath. Looks much better with the tires scrubbed. Bleche White really does the trick on white letter tires. We took it for a ride downtown and I treated the ladies to ice cream. I'm still amazed at how nice it runs and drives.

Junior Member torturedsouls0130's Avatar

Black
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Thanks! I will be working on the car more over the next several days and will start a wish list.
    I marked it and checked it. The drive shaft turned 3 and what looked like 3/4 it was definitely more then 1/2 just a hair short of 3 - 3/4 does that count?

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Jeff but those torx bolts you tightened will keep coming loose.Next time apply some locktite on them. I think dad still has my old SS column that didn't have tilt and maybe a few other ss parts including a new nose if you need them. I had the regular monte and I found a SS in the junkyard that I grabbed parts from along with another ss that I bought that caught fire in the engine compartment. Unless he sold them,or junked them there should be lots of ss parts that he has there,and even a few non ss parts.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by torturedsouls0130 View Post
    I marked it and checked it. The drive shaft turned 3 and what looked like 3/4 it was definitely more then 1/2 just a hair short of 3 - 3/4 does that count?
    Guessing you have a 3.73 gear then.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news Jeff but those torx bolts you tightened will keep coming loose.Next time apply some locktite on them. I think dad still has my old SS column that didn't have tilt and maybe a few other ss parts including a new nose if you need them. I had the regular monte and I found a SS in the junkyard that I grabbed parts from along with another ss that I bought that caught fire in the engine compartment. Unless he sold them,or junked them there should be lots of ss parts that he has there,and even a few non ss parts.

I used Loc-Tite on them so it should be good to go. Let me know if you still have the nose. I wouldn't mind having a spare. Thanks!

victory red
    2007 zo6

guys/ gals - do you know 40th ann.of monte carlos ... 1970>2010... hear may be large turnout ? at gm nationals june 25>27,2010/carlisle, pa...will see most models, including some like yours... if not far away,may pay to go to talk/ discuss, fun things?with these montes .. rkvette

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    guys/ gals - do you know 40th ann.of monte carlos ... 1970>2010... hear may be large turnout ? at gm nationals june 25>27,2010/carlisle, pa...will see most models, including some like yours... if not far away,may pay to go to talk/ discuss, fun things?with these montes .. rkvette

Already have a thread started: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136189 Didn't think about the fact that it's an anniversary. May have to take the Monte and the Bird down this year.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Already have a thread started: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136189 Didn't think about the fact that it's an anniversary. May have to take the Monte and the Bird down this year.
    You should definitely take both

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    You should definitely take both

When I told the wife that it was the 40th anniversary that was her immediate reply. I was a bit disappointed last year with the fact that I couldn't get a group from the site together. Unless we get some of the members to identify themselves, or agree to a meet and greet, we may just take the Monte and leave the T/A home.

Last year I only met one other site member and that is because I recognized his car. I was really looking forward to checking out other members' rides, but the few that were there didn't make any attempt to say so. I have an LS1.com license plate frame, the site logo and my avatar were posted on the dash with a cell number, and my daughter was in an LS1.com t-shirt. I couldn't have tried any harder.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

When I told the wife that it was the 40th anniversary that was her immediate reply. I was a bit disappointed last year with the fact that I couldn't get a group from the site together. Unless we get some of the members to identify themselves, or agree to a meet and greet, we may just take the Monte and leave the T/A home.

Last year I only met one other site member and that is because I recognized his car. I was really looking forward to checking out other members' rides, but the few that were there didn't make any attempt to say so. I have an LS1.com license plate frame, the site logo and my avatar were posted on the dash with a cell number, and my daughter was in an LS1.com t-shirt. I couldn't have tried any harder.
    Great minds and all

You started a thread right? Hopefully you'll get a better turnout or at least have a plan to meet up with some of our members this time around.

I still say take both either way

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

I used Loc-Tite on them so it should be good to go. Let me know if you still have the nose. I wouldn't mind having a spare. Thanks!
    i have a whole front nose with headlights and all, steering wheel with tilt, spoiler. two sets of 86-88 aluminum rims. remember on these noses, the chin of the spoiler the black part is over 130 new just for that part, so watch tearing that up.
    Last edited by 1fastcamarosss11; 05-03-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information