Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

silver
    2002 ws6

the lt1 vs ls1 argument is old and silly. the lt1 was good in it's day and so was the ls1. both set the bar in terms of pony car performance.

that being said apples for apples the ls1 in significantly faster. but anything can happen on during a race, especially now that these cars are getting older. if you take a minty low mile lt1 and run it against a miled out auto ls1 with 2:73's and cats that are plugged solid sure the lt1 could win. but this doesnt mean that lt1's are just as quick or quicker.

white black stripes
    1996 camaro ss

Talking 96ss

i will say this one last time. im not comparing how much better a ls1 is over an lt1 or visa versa i stated a fact that the 2000ss that was tested ran 13.9 doesnt mean all ls1 wont do better. to say any ls1 will run 12s is crazy talk!as crazy as saying all lt1 will run 13s.there are a few years that would run mid 13s 96 being one of them.dont judge a book by its cover. ive got a drawer full of pit pass stubs for my local track i have seen a few runs!the list i was looking at goes up to 2006 i think. so its not so far off. most # were taken from test done by road &track motorweek hot rod mags ect so dont kill the messenger. i myself would like to have a ls1 camaro! but i would not give up my 96ss.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by dans96ss View Post
    i will say this one last time. im not comparing how much better a ls1 is over an lt1 or visa versa i stated a fact that the 2000ss that was tested ran 13.9 doesnt mean all ls1 wont do better. to say any ls1 will run 12s is crazy talk!as crazy as saying all lt1 will run 13s.there are a few years that would run mid 13s 96 being one of them.dont judge a book by its cover. ive got a drawer full of pit pass stubs for my local track i have seen a few runs!the list i was looking at goes up to 2006 i think. so its not so far off. most # were taken from test done by road &track motorweek hot rod mags ect so dont kill the messenger. i myself would like to have a ls1 camaro! but i would not give up my 96ss.
    FYI bone stock ls1 f-bodys have run 12s. Its not common by any means but it has happened multiple times. Stock down to the air filter and tires

silver
    2002 ws6

yeah lt1's are pretty sweet

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

And you get your info from??? Trust me I have read the thread I know where you get it. Mag and Internet racing go hand in hand.. Neither have real info IMO. If I want to find out want something will run I dont run to a magazine or the internet. What I do is go to my local track and find a car that meets the specs I wonder about. Again I dont bench race,mag race or internet race. I take my car out to the track and race. That way I find out what I run and get a great idea what other cars run in the 1/4. The track takes all the BS out of the equation IMO...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

the guy i just bought my headers from was putting an ls1 in his third gen. guess he wanted to upgrade.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    the guy i just bought my headers from was putting an ls1 in his third gen. guess he wanted to upgrade.
    Well a 3rd gen does have the good old TPI motor in it. And I could see a 4th gen LT1 swap to a LS1... But hey LS1's are so cheap now just buy one.

white black stripes
    1996 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Well a 3rd gen does have the good old TPI motor in it. And I could see a 4th gen LT1 swap to a LS1... But hey LS1's are so cheap now just buy one.
    theres 2 in the local paper $1500 no info. other has 75,000 on it $550 seems cheap. just broken in at this point.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    We never did the, (what if this or what if that) sort of thing when I was growing up. We just lined up and raced what ya' brung and hope you had enough
    Hell 99% of the time we didn't bother to ask what was under the hood,,,we just lined em' up and went.
    exactly just race him man and enjoy it

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I'm putting my money on the 4th gen

I ran Jimmy in my old LS1 WS6 (M6 mind you) when he had his LT1 camaro. Don't remember what all was done to it, but I know it was louder than mine (mine was stock to the factory ram air by pontiac BS). He pulled me till about 50 or so and at about 70 I pulled even and by about 90-100 I finally started getting a glimpse of his headlights in my mirror.

This is my experience. My old LS1/M6 is not yours, and Jimmy's old LT1 camaro is not the one in question... but just a fair enough experience.

And I've had 2 LT1 cars. I loved both differently but loved the torque they made around town. I played with a few LS1s in them, and loved to see the frustrating look on their faces when I let out at 60 after running from a dig. But hey, I'm not stupid

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    And I've had 2 LT1 cars. I loved both differently but loved the torque they made around town. I played with a few LS1s in them, and loved to see the frustrating look on their faces when I let out at 60 after running from a dig. But hey, I'm not stupid

That's why I've always liked our LT1's, just liked the power curve and throttle response for a street car. I even did an LT1/4L60E retro swap in my wifes 82 jeep scrambler and had an absolute blast in that thing.
    It ran better than my wifes 97 Z28 6 speed. 14.20's at 99 mph verses 13.40's. at 103 mph.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you are correct...too high for just a bolt on ..and thank you for racing from a dig ...it is the only true way to do it.
    You said shady, racing from a dig is the only way to go
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Dude, alot of us owned lt1 cars before the ls1 cars, i owned a 96 formula. For the record my 2000 T/A ran a 13.3 stock and was much faster than my 96. The ls1 is a better engine and only die hard lt1 owners say otherwise. The record for a ls1 f-body stock is 12.8 you will never see that out of a bone stock lt1 car. Did you run a 13.4 in your 96 ss stock? I bet not

I guess it would make sense that the ls1 car with 300+whp is trapping 4mph slower than the lt1 car that would be lucky to pull 265whp stock when they both have simular drivetrains and weight. LOL
    I agree zinergy, my LT1 cars barley broke 13.9 at 101. My stock LS1 went 13.40 at 106.4 Any car can be made fast but no LT1 stocker can touch an LS1, period!

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    I agree zinergy, my LT1 cars barley broke 13.9 at 101. My stock LS1 went 13.40 at 106.4 Any car can be made fast but no LT1 stocker can touch an LS1, period!
    This is true, but if both cars are stock for stock and providing both cars are well under 100k miles, it's all in driver error as to who gets the win in the 1/8th mile..... ok, maybe right before the 1/8th mile

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

That's a myth too. Unless you race from idle to 3000 rpm (which might be the case right off-launch in an A4 car), then the LS1 has the advantage in the 1/8th mile.

And unless you're using a sticky tire, that little bit off extra off-idle umph is probably going to be wasted in slightly more tire spin.

Sorry to those that might be offended by reality.

not really

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    And unless you're using a sticky tire, that little bit off extra off-idle umph is probably going to be wasted in slightly more tire spin.

Sorry to those that might be offended by reality.

not really
    Truth....ask my shitty all season tires..and why they are being replaced by drag radials

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Truth....ask my shitty all season tires..and why they are being replaced by drag radials
    mickeys?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    mickeys?
    nitto 315s. as my car is still driven heavily on the street..once i start to garage it..Micks will go on it. or Hoosiers

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

theres 2 in the local paper $1500 no info. other has 75,000 on it $550 seems cheap. just broken in at this point.
    Those motors have issues or something. LS1's are cheap......but not that insanely cheap. $550 wouldn't last a day at that price if its in good shape.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Those motors have issues or something. LS1's are cheap......but not that insanely cheap. $550 wouldn't last a day at that price if its in good shape.
    Extremley cheap, 550 might be a short block.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information