Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The idle mixture screws are in the front base of the carb and I removed them during disassembly. I am 99.9% certain that this is the original carb for the car -- the part number and date code are both a match to a '70 W-31.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The idle mixture screws are in the front base of the carb and I removed them during disassembly. I am 99.9% certain that this is the original carb for the car -- the part number and date code are both a match to a '70 W-31.
    I did'nt mean to come off like it may have sounded.. I know you know your stuff.. i got currious when I did'nt see them is all really.. There were so many different models of q-jet it's impossible know if i've seen them all.. I'm think prolly not even tho I grew up with just about everything having a q-jet or factory holley's..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I did'nt mean to come off like it may have sounded.. I know you know your stuff.. i got currious when I did'nt see them is all really.. There were so many different models of q-jet it's impossible know if i've seen them all.. I'm think prolly not even tho I grew up with just about everything having a q-jet or factory holley's..

It was a valid question -- no offense at all Smittro. The later model carbs are the odd ones imo. They have an adjustable part throttle and some other fancy gizmos that this one is thankfully devoid of. I like simple.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

It was a valid question -- no offense at all Smittro. The later model carbs are the odd ones imo. They have an adjustable part throttle and some other fancy gizmos that this one is thankfully devoid of. I like simple.
    Ah no fast idle cams and the like? Just a choke?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Big fan of the good old Q-Jet here myself. The sound it made with both the primary and secondary open OMG.. I had Holley and Q-Jet back in the day on my 71 camaro. I always found it more work to keep the Holley tuned. That and to clean a Q-Jet was a breeze for me. Take it apart, put it in a boiling pot of water and add Cheer. It came out looking better than new..
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 11-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Ah no fast idle cams and the like? Just a choke?

You know, I didn't really look and it has been so long since I have driven the car. But, I believe there is a fast idle screw on the passenger side of the carb tucked behind the choke housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    That and to clean a Q-Jet was a breeze for me. Take it apart, put it in a boiling pot of water and add Cheer. It came out looking better than new..

No kidding? Sounds way too simple and I assume most any detergent would work. May have to consider this.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

No kidding? Sounds way too simple and I assume most any detergent would work. May have to consider this.
    If your doing a rebuild yes. I would buy a rebuild kit first. I would then take the Q-Jet apart like I see in your photos. Then get a cooking pot big enough to hold all the parts. You can put the parts in add water and bring it to a boil. Then add detergent of choice and let it boil for 5/10 minutes. You can always pull a part out to see how clean it looks. Once they looked clean I would take the parts out. I would let the parts air dry and then put it back together with the rebuild kit.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 11-24-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am going to give this a try -- will probably hang the parts with a wire so they are not on the bottom of the pan.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I am going to give this a try -- will probably hang the parts with a wire so they are not on the bottom of the pan.
    You need to post after pictures of the carb. Let people see how clean it gets with just a boil..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Last night we installed bushings in the primary throttle shaft bore. My friend bought a kit a few years back that included a stepped drill bit and the bushings. He made a tool for tapping the bushings into the hole once they are lightly coated with threadlocking compound. The stepped drill bit perfectly follows the existing bore so there is no chance of causing the primary throttle plates to bind.

Tonight, I boiled the Quadrajet main body parts in a soap and water solution. The process actually works quite well and a little light rubbing with an old toothbrush removed most all of the deposits and accumulated gunk. After dumping the hot water, I let the parts air dry and cool before blowing out all the passages with compressed air.

The boiling carb parts smelled almost as good as the fresh baked cookies... almost.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 11-25-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

The carb looks like it had not been cleaned for a long time. IIRC the carb come out cleaner here. But mine may not have had the same amount of build up. I hope you're happy with the results. It took most of the work out of cleaning a carb here.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 11-24-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quite pleased. I think that whatever gunk remains has now been at least loosened up and should easily clean off. I'm waiting for the main body to cool down so I can boil the top.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quite pleased. I think that whatever gunk remains has now been at least loosened up and should easily clean off. I'm waiting for the main body to cool down so I can boil the top.
    I am glad you like the results. The plastic shot media photo made me think of it. I have no doubt it works well but I have never used it. Trying to keep carbs cleaned and tuned for the track, took work back in the day. I use to complain about it at the track all the time. Another racer mentioned the boiling trick for a quick and easy way to clean them. Again I am glad you like the results. As you said "Sounds way too simple".

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

For some reason, those last few pictures of the re-bush job look familiar?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    For some reason, those last few pictures of the re-bush job look familiar?

Maybe because you were there and helped out? It was great seeing the car running -- sounds damn good!

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I wish Id have gone a different route with the exhaust. The Dynomax is just too quiet, however, i guess it is kinda nice to have it 'mellow' when cruising. I suppose that's why I had the cutout on there.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Newest pic from the engine builder:

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Click for full size
    I'm liken this a lot.. Very nice Jeff!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Click for full size
    jeff, this sumbitch right here is gonna look real nice sittin under that hood...i like the fact that youre goin origional on this....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    jeff, this sumbitch right here is gonna look real nice sittin under that hood...i like the fact that youre goin origional on this....

Well, not quite original. It be a stroked 375 c.i. with a roller cam, wearing "stock appearing camoflage".
    Last edited by pajeff02; 01-15-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Corrected displacement.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information