Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

14" -- I was kind of surprised after we bought the car, but then checking a bit it seems that a lot of cars from this era have 14" wheels.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    14" -- I was kind of surprised after we bought the car, but then checking a bit it seems that a lot of cars from this era have 14" wheels.
    thats what i thought. i have 3 or 4 of those rims from an 70's early 80's you can have for shipping. i have some 215 70 14 you can have to if you want. starting to clean stuff up. and get rid of a bunch.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    thats what i thought. i have 3 or 4 of those rims from an 70's early 80's you can have for shipping. i have some 215 70 14 you can have to if you want. starting to clean stuff up. and get rid of a bunch.

That would be good -- I actually ended up with 2 rims that are slightly bent. These are the Super Stock II's? I have no idea on the width, maybe 7"?

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

That would be good -- I actually ended up with 2 rims that are slightly bent. These are the Super Stock II's? I have no idea on the width, maybe 7"?
    i'm pretty sure 7. like most of the "old school wheels". i'll get some pics in the next week they are at my other house.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Talked to the builder last week and the machine work is done on our block. We are not in any hurry, so we probably won't be going up to get it until later this Fall. In the meantime, the wheels have been painted and the tires are mounted up. The chassis is back on its wheels for the first time -- that was a good feeling. I took the intake over to a friend's and used his bead blast cabinet to start cleaning it up -- I have sharp stuff in mine so it was just easier to go for a ride.

Pic of the W-31 intake before I started cleanup:

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I think most cars came with 14" wheels back then My first Chevelle had 14's up front and 15" in the back. Oh, and jacked up with air shocks

It was the cool thing to do back then

Green Red Black
    71 SS 00 SS 06 Impy SS

This is like an instant replay. My nephews finally got their dad's 70 W-31 out of grandma's garage where it sat for 26 years. The anti freeze had all crystalized and the intake heat risor was full of corn from a mouse. The engine got a freshen-up and the interior a rehab job. Body and gold paint still excellent. It was out and about for awhile, the nephew got married and it hasn't been seen since.

Good luck with your project.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Still have some work to do on the intake. Bead blasting cleaned up most of it, but it has a mottled appearance now. All my other intakes have either been powdercoated or painted in the past... this one has to stay natural aluminum for originality. Any suggestions?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Still have some work to do on the intake. Bead blasting cleaned up most of it, but it has a mottled appearance now. All my other intakes have either been powdercoated or painted in the past... this one has to stay natural aluminum for originality. Any suggestions?
    Lots of elbow grease .... I would maybe suggest Mothers polish. I've used it to polish intakes before - but they were a machined aluminum. I'm not sure how well it would work on a rougher textured aluminum. You might consider a good aluminum rim cleaner also - it may help clean it up with a little less work. But you gotta be careful with them - some could make it look worse.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Lots of elbow grease .... I would maybe suggest Mothers polish. I've used it to polish intakes before - but they were a machined aluminum. I'm not sure how well it would work on a rougher textured aluminum. You might consider a good aluminum rim cleaner also - it may help clean it up with a little less work. But you gotta be careful with them - some could make it look worse.

I thought about rim cleaner... I think I may have some Mothers from when I worked on a set last year. As you said, it is a rough cast finish for the most part so polish might just make a mess in the long run.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tough crowd...

Ok -- I bead blasted the intake and then went over it with a fine wire cup and cone. It took it back to a natural finish with just a bit of shine. I have spent the last 3 nights sandblasting small parts and sorting through what needs to go to the engine builder so we can hear this puppy roar some time next month on the dyno. I am also awaiting an order from Fusick's for a new dipstick tube, oil fill cap and some othe rmiscellaneous small parts that were beyond saving. My new dilemma is the crud on the bottom of the valve covers -- not sure how I am going to clean it all out as it has a long shallow baffle. I do not want to be dropping junk into my fresh engine.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Tough crowd...

Ok -- I bead blasted the intake and then went over it with a fine wire cup and cone. It took it back to a natural finish with just a bit of shine. I have spent the last 3 nights sandblasting small parts and sorting through what needs to go to the engine builder so we can hear this puppy roar some time next month on the dyno. I am also awaiting an order from Fusick's for a new dipstick tube, oil fill cap and some othe rmiscellaneous small parts that were beyond saving. My new dilemma is the crud on the bottom of the valve covers -- not sure how I am going to clean it all out as it has a long shallow baffle. I do not want to be dropping junk into my fresh engine.
    you should bead blast em, then give em a bath in ez off oven cleaner...that shit works nice on stuck on grease...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    you should bead blast em, then give em a bath in ez off oven cleaner...that shit works nice on stuck on grease...

I don't dare use an abrasive blaster on them due to the baffles. No way I can guarantee getting it all out from under them. I was hoping to find stock style replacements from Fusicks, but no luck.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's a shot of the intake all cleaned up and ready to ship:

It looks as if a valve cover was replaced at some point -- the really cruddy one actually has some blue paint on it rather than the gold it should have. You can see the baffles and why I don't dare toss them in the blast cabinet:

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The intake looks a lot better.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Here's a shot of the intake all cleaned up and ready to ship:

Click for full size

It looks as if a valve cover was replaced at some point -- the really cruddy one actually has some blue paint on it rather than the gold it should have. You can see the baffles and why I don't dare toss them in the blast cabinet:

Click for full size
    That blue, (if it's a baby or powerder color) is 1970's GM engine paint prolly.. I used to associate that color with smoggers.. Also blast those in a bead blaster and you'll most likely have the trouble I had with the first TDC block and heads.. I loved how it looked but I'll never bead an engine block again. Looking good tho Jeff! Good luck! iirc, from jet fire 330-455 all had the same (~) factory rocker covers..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-15-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I forgot about your issue with the TDC. Before I ship the intake, it is getting washed and blown out real good. I believe you are correct -- the valve covers are the same for those engines.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

you could use kerosene (sp) and a brush i have done that before.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    you could use kerosene (sp) and a brush i have done that before.

I kind of figured I would have to soak them in something. My parts washer is currently in pieces to install a sump and filter. I had to use gasoline to clean the wheel bearings on the Monte... may be time to go buy some kerosene.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information