Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

98Z28 vs Turbo Eclipse

So yesterday i was driving my camaro through Exton with my gf shotgun, and i pass this older purple eclipse (1995-1999). As i pass i notice a gauge cluster near the drivers side window, so i look in my rearview mirror after i pass and see a HUGE intercooler, so i conclude it has a turbo. A few minutes after i pass i look back again and see the eclipse darting through traffic and hang back 2 cars in the lane to my left. All of a sudeen i see the passenger window roll down, and a latin guy stick half his body out yelling something to me. So, i roll down my window and listen..."YOU WANT SOME TURBOOOO?!" My gf and I start cracking up, so i rev and redline with my LM1 catback, and he climbs back in the car haha. So i start picking it up a bit after the light, and the eclipse stays with me a car or two back (he must have had a huge turbo...i heard his turbo ever time he shifted, and he was always back a few cars in heavy traffic). I followed 113 onto Paoli Pike, where there was minimum traffic, and slowed down to about 45 in third gear, letting the few cars in front of me get about a half mile ahead. The ricers by me, then slows down, but always kept about 1/4 of a car in front of me. wth, so i beep three times, and he gets a bit of jump (should have started in second, and i imagine his turbo gave him a boost) to about half a car between my front and his back. His lead stopped in seconds, and i started pulling on him. At this point he shifts, and my gf says she saw some smoke blow out of his exhaust when he shifts...??? I shift into fourth a little over 6k, and pass him, putting about a car and half on him before shutting down around 115 (estimate, i didn't look). The two lanes are merging so i slow to 65 behind four cars, and low and behold...the eclipse rockets by me and all four cars in the disappearing lane. My second street race in about four years of driving the camaro...not too bad imo.

My Mods-Whisper Lid, Smooth Bellows, 85mm MAF, Koni Single Adjustable Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Thicker Front and Rear Sway Bars, B&M Short Shifter, Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, Loud Mouth 1 Cat-Back, Firehawk Wide-Oval Street Tires.

1995-1999 Eclipse- As far as i know...manual transmission and turbocharger.

98Z28M6 = 2 Wins, 0 Losses

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Nice kill. Typical ricer bs. from the eclipse...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The fact you heard his turbo often means he has an overactive blow off valve and or a small turbo. A large turbo wouldnt be spooling hard and making noise unless he was in the upper rpms and getting on it a little everytime he shifted.

Good kill
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-29-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Good kill. The GSX T's are really quick though. You might have ran across a GS-T. IMO, those are the best Eclipse's that were made. Good kill. Yes, 2nd gear at 45 would have made a world of difference than at 3rd.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Good kill. The GSX T's are really quick though. You might have ran across a GS-T. IMO, those are the best Eclipse's that were made. Good kill. Yes, 2nd gear at 45 would have made a world of difference than at 3rd.
    Oh yes, def should have been in 2nd. From a roll the gs-t would be faster than a gsx. Same power, lighter weight, less power loss since its only fwd instead of awd.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Yeah i can't believe i forgot to drop to 2nd haha, typical newb street racer haha. And thanks for the info Zinergy and the rest. The eclipse had no noticeable badges on it, not even a Mitsubishi symbol, so idk which one it was unfortunately

Burnt Orange
    1996 Firebird

nice kill, my brother in law has an eclipse gsx, lots of aftermarket parts turbo and intercooler included. Those things can be quick, his has about 400 awhp and runs low-mid 11's. Very nice kill especially if his was anything like the one i was talking about haha

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

I don't think he was very close to that setup, seeing as i still beat him starting in 3rd at around 45 haha

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    I don't think he was very close to that setup, seeing as i still beat him starting in 3rd at around 45 haha
    Yea, haha def not a 400whp 11 second car. There are AWD DSMs in the 7s, 8s, 9s and with a rwd conversion some in the 6s but they are still hell to keep running and most owners do get tired of having a 2.0liter after a while even if it does make 700-1000hp.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-31-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

my cousin had a 98 gs-t and it was sick very fast never got to race it before he wreaked it but i was fun to drive

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

did it have any work done to it?

Several years ago, a buddy of mine had a 1st-gen Eagle Talon TSI (same as Eclipse GSX). He was running a bolt on 16G turbo, a couple of bolt ons, and 22psi. He went 12.0@117 with a clumsy transmission and street tires. Not bad for a car he bought for $800 and put $500 into it. It was a junker though.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Several years ago, a buddy of mine had a 1st-gen Eagle Talon TSI (same as Eclipse GSX). He was running a bolt on 16G turbo, a couple of bolt ons, and 22psi. He went 12.0@117 with a clumsy transmission and street tires. Not bad for a car he bought for $800 and put $500 into it. It was a junker though.
    I had two TSIs and a 1st gen gs-t. They were fun, one was a high 12 car but god they were a pain in the ass. I never had anything major brake other than two trannys but i knew going into it that those trannys were weak.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I knew a guy that had a '98 GST Eclipse, car was sweet! First turbo car I'd ever ridden in, and knew anything about. He raised the boost to 12 (or 14?), can't remember, but I know he said it was the highest you'd want to go on a factory something or another. Anyways, not important, but that BOV was LOOUUD!!! I wasn't too crazy about the exhaust, but the sucking in of air and the noise from the BOV was just insane cool!

Car was still slow, probably a mid 14 second ride if I had to guess at it, but man that thing was sweet

Silver with the factory chrome 5 stars... ohhh yeah baby

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I knew a guy that had a '98 GST Eclipse, car was sweet! First turbo car I'd ever ridden in, and knew anything about. He raised the boost to 12 (or 14?), can't remember, but I know he said it was the highest you'd want to go on a factory something or another. Anyways, not important, but that BOV was LOOUUD!!! I wasn't too crazy about the exhaust, but the sucking in of air and the noise from the BOV was just insane cool!

Car was still slow, probably a mid 14 second ride if I had to guess at it, but man that thing was sweet

Silver with the factory chrome 5 stars... ohhh yeah baby
    I hate BOVs.... with a passion.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    did it have any work done to it?
    yeah it had about 350fwhp

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I hate BOVs.... with a passion.
    why?

I think they sound awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    why?

I think they sound awesome
    If it's just a rush of air, they are fine. Many on the market, however, are designed to produce stupid noises and rings. I don't know, it just sounds retarded to me. There are only a handful of BOVs that I deem acceptable in sound and durability.

On my car, I ran a HKS valve with a hard spring and a recirculated setup. Couldn't hear a thing. Just the way I like it.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

IMO there should be just enough noise from the BOV to let the driver and passengers know it's a turbo. Don't want to let the nosy competition know what you've got haha

Thread Information