Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    thanks for the info, honestly I don't really know much about these motors but would really like to learn more, I find them really impressive. I mean I kno my buds car can't be makin anymore than 250hp but it still kicks really hard @ wot. The fact that's it's soo light combined with respectable power puts a smile on ur face.
    Yeah, your buddy is probably around 215-220whp if his motor is in tip-top shape, assuming he has all the bolt ons. The stock turbo on these motors will not provide impressive numbers. It's just too small and inefficient. However, once you go with a larger turbocharger and some more boost these motors really wake up. If you'd like to know more PM me, I had a very impressive setup in my car before I took her apart. It went low 10s with a 140mph trap.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    My buddy has a Corrado with the 4 banger turbo. It's a cool little car, not hating it at all. But as for your race with a V6 S/C I still would put my money on the LS1. You will hurt him badly from a dig (rwd > fwd) and you won't miss any shifts of course. Even if his power to weight ratio is better, and I'm sure it is, the LS1 has such a strong top end and so much power under the curve he will be chasing you the whole time. I think he's got a fight on his hands. If you want insurance, get a stall converter and your launch will be insane as long as you have enough tire for it.

Post results!
    Interesting! I would've never even questioned giving myself the win, but the damn S/C noise is insane! I guess it must be a Lysholm thing, but if you heard it, it really does sound like a damn fire truck, or a jet engine if you will. Guess I'll go ahead and order my M/T ETs this next weekend, and wait on my other parts to come in. I'll probably run him within the next 3-4 weeks, I'll keep you guys posted.

327-TPI/A4
    1992 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    That was an LT camaro too.
    i could tell by the breaking up on high rpm

ILL bet something that that guy has a SES light and it says hi res fail

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

hahaha did you win???

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    hahaha did you win???
    Still haven't ran him. His car is about an hour and a half away from work, claims it'll start but won't stay running because of.... something, I duno I live an hour to an hour and a half away from work as well, and offered to meet him at a track that was halfway for both of us called Old Dominion. He stated "The track is for pu**ies!"

I've never heard someone say that before, but after a few moments of trying not to fly off the handle with inquiring about his idiotic logic, I agreed to race him "on a local private closed section of road" by our work. I told him we'd have to run for money since I'm coming such a long ways, and he wants to put up "pink slips" This is coming from a guy who's never even driven the car, he only bought it off his brother and he just thinks it's the fastest thing in the world.

I talked to this guy's brother, and he said it's still a 1.8L, but it has a different crank, rods, pistons, etc. Said that before this 68mm pulley, it was running 14 pounds of boost. After the pulley it was a constant 24 but it would peak at 32 I thought boost climbed with RPMs? Anyways, he said it has also has a Porsche fuel system and a few other misc. "porsche" parts. Not too sure what to beleive, this is also the same guy that said the camaro/firebird have a different engine than the corvette

Who knows if we'll ever race. All I know is I'm not scared of losing a couple of bucks. I just wanna do the damn thing

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

never race for pinks had a buddy do it once and the other guy showed up with a built evo crushed his ls cobalt was supposed to run a eclipse but the evo came out and killed him... never gave his car up but he paid the price which was like 1000 bucks

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Yeah, I don't plan on racing for pinks, it just kills me that a grown 40 year old man is going to act like this, yet has never even driven the car before. This car has been sitting for the past 5 years also

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Said that before this 68mm pulley, it was running 14 pounds of boost. After the pulley it was a constant 24 but it would peak at 32 I thought boost climbed with RPMs? Anyways, he said it has also has a Porsche fuel system and a few other misc. "porsche" parts.
    i'm callingon this only because it sounds ridiculous, someone with actual mechanical knowledge please correct me if i'm wrong

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

how will it run if its been sitting so long

Still haven't ran him. His car is about an hour and a half away from work, claims it'll start but won't stay running because of.... something, I duno I live an hour to an hour and a half away from work as well, and offered to meet him at a track that was halfway for both of us called Old Dominion. He stated "The track is for pu**ies!"

I've never heard someone say that before, but after a few moments of trying not to fly off the handle with inquiring about his idiotic logic, I agreed to race him "on a local private closed section of road" by our work. I told him we'd have to run for money since I'm coming such a long ways, and he wants to put up "pink slips" This is coming from a guy who's never even driven the car, he only bought it off his brother and he just thinks it's the fastest thing in the world.

I talked to this guy's brother, and he said it's still a 1.8L, but it has a different crank, rods, pistons, etc. Said that before this 68mm pulley, it was running 14 pounds of boost. After the pulley it was a constant 24 but it would peak at 32 I thought boost climbed with RPMs? Anyways, he said it has also has a Porsche fuel system and a few other misc. "porsche" parts. Not too sure what to beleive, this is also the same guy that said the camaro/firebird have a different engine than the corvette

Who knows if we'll ever race. All I know is I'm not scared of losing a couple of bucks. I just wanna do the damn thing
    If it's still a 1.8L and hasn't been bored or stroked, your chances are getting better and better. From what I've seen on the VW forums these guys are very inconsistent with their times. With a variety of Lysholm setups they go anywhere from 16s to 13s in the 1/4. The closest I could find to your buddies setup is a guy running the Lysholm kit on the 1.8L, with a 68mm pulley, 22psi, gutted interior, drag radials. He was doing 13.9-14.0 at 100-102mph.

I think it's just time to run him and find out. To many variables for such a rare car to modify.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

This car has been sitting for the past 5 years also
    This guy is going to blow his car up. You say he's never driven it either? I don't think I'd be too worried...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Gunna start DD'ing it Monday, put the factory wheels back on to handle the duties, all vibration issues are gone

We'll see if I can get him to have it waiting for me on Monday, should know by tomorrow

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

So I've driven the car this whole work week, and this Corrado has been a no-show. Kind of getting a little irritated about the whole thing really. Dude says it'll start but won't stay running, and it's "all cammed out" (lopey, bouncy idle). Says he needs to pull the gas tank so he can get the water out of it that has accumulated or some BS. I understand it, but it irritates the hell out of me to have somebody talk all this smack, and then BS around while staying in the process of talking smack-a-roo. Have done a little researching, and finding typical times of lysholm corrados running boost in the teens, throwing down low 15s-high 14s. Fastest one I've seen so far has gone 13.72@97mph, thats with some kind of "stage v head" some kind of pulley, etc. A 13.72 sounds about what I should run but with a higher trap speed, considering the LTs, Borla, and aftermarket air intake.

I went to pull my car around to the back parking lot one day, and was leaving the front parking lot. Both are big and pretty damn long, twice as wide as a street. So I backed up, made sure he saw me, let off the brake and hit it down. Normally I wouldn't pull a "squid move", but I did Anyways, a couple minutes later after I finished what I was doing, I run into him and he goes onto say "That'll be your downfall, you're RWD, you're gunna spin, I'm FWD, I'm just guna go!". I tried to educate him that I could pedal the car to get it to hook up, and that he's got it all backwards about traction issues between the two cars. But ya can't tell him nothing.

I don't mean to continue to drag this out, but it's not me... I'd guess another month to maybe a month and a half before I see this street legal race car around. By then I'll have my SFCs, LCAs, and stall by then

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Subscribed.
    I also have a buddy at work with one of those Carrado's. I like the little things and wouldn't mind having one as a DD beater. You should be able to walk him easy, he propbably went and did his homework and realizes his chances at winning are not what he thought they were. You should tell him that the track is where you are garunteed to find out what your car is made of, bench racing is for p***ies. If you do race on the streets be safe, not really worth the hassle most of the time, especially against a VW.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    If it's still a 1.8L and hasn't been bored or stroked, your chances are getting better and better. From what I've seen on the VW forums these guys are very inconsistent with their times. With a variety of Lysholm setups they go anywhere from 16s to 13s in the 1/4. The closest I could find to your buddies setup is a guy running the Lysholm kit on the 1.8L, with a 68mm pulley, 22psi, gutted interior, drag radials. He was doing 13.9-14.0 at 100-102mph.

I think it's just time to run him and find out. To many variables for such a rare car to modify.
    Well with that being said, run the BAG you should spank it. It's been sitting around the guy isn't use to running the 1/4 in it. Too bad it's like a 1 1/2 hours away. And it's weird sounds like I guy I know that use to have a stereo mod shop in Annapolis, MD. "Adam Paper" wonder if it's his?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder 42 View Post
    Well with that being said, run the BAG you should spank it. It's been sitting around the guy isn't use to running the 1/4 in it. Too bad it's like a 1 1/2 hours away. And it's weird sounds like I guy I know that use to have a stereo mod shop in Annapolis, MD. "Adam Paper" wonder if it's his?
    The guy that used to own it, his name is Wayne Ball, and his brother that owns it now, is David Ball. They both grew up around Frederick, but live around Hagerstown now.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

you have a 305 shot???

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    you have a 305 shot???
    I've been waiting for someone to ask me about that... ever since I ran that mustang (also in this kill section), the local mustang crew here in the spotsy area has been running around sayin' I'm sprayin' the ole' Z. So I figured I'd go ahead and admit, I've got a 305hp shot of the dope

305HP for what GM rates the LS1 in the car

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

so you dont have nx???

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Man, at this point I'd have worked dude into a frothing heap! I'd have been picking at him like an old scab.

Never try and act like you can school him by stating anything. He already knows it all.

I used to street race back in the 80's back in Los Angeles. I learnt smack talk from the best!

Just for the heck of it, get the N20, don't tell him or let him see and spray once you're hooked up. But only enough to stay a fender ahead. That is if you even need to. Make sure you look over at him and give him the "Come on, is that all you got?" face while you're doing it. This will piss him off even more.

When you win (make sure there are plenty of witnesses) then crow in his face about what a sad litle man he is by instigating all this while calmly counting your winnings.

Set a date. A no show by him is a win for you.

Also, have a disinterested 3rd party that you both trust "lock up" (hand them $$$ from both sides) whatever you're running for before you run.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 04-12-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information