blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

tunnel mount torque arm noise reduction ideas?

hello guys...so we all know that tunnel mounted torque arms are known for transmitting more drivetrain noise.

well i am curious if any of you guys have thought of ways to dampen the nose..i would think something as simple as some rubber washers that go where the tunnel mount mounts to the floor ..i know this wouldnt quiet down a large amount...but would it not help some.

^ does this make sense ? or even fashion a thin rubber piece the same size and shape of the mounting surface to go between the mount and the floor...

or am i crazy ?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I gave this a lot of thought on our car during the recent install. I actually fabbed some rubber spacers to mount between the body and the tunnel brace. The only problem was that it reduces clearance between the top of the driveshaft and the safety loop. As I have not yet driven the car with the new setup, I decided to forgo the rubber inserts for now to see what it is like.

The other prime source for a clunk are the bolts that attach the t/a to the tunnel brace. The shoulder on the bolt is quite a bit smaller than the holes in the plates. Unless they are cranked down stupid tight, it is likely that you would get a "clunk" from this play. I ended up cutting my plates down as the top hole would not comfortably clear my PST driveshaft. In the event I do get noise, I will be fabbing a new set of plates with smaller holes.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I gave this a lot of thought on our car during the recent install. I actually fabbed some rubber spacers to mount between the body and the tunnel brace. The only problem was that it reduces clearance between the top of the driveshaft and the safety loop. As I have not yet driven the car with the new setup, I decided to forgo the rubber inserts for now to see what it is like.

The other prime source for a clunk are the bolts that attach the t/a to the tunnel brace. The shoulder on the bolt is quite a bit smaller than the holes in the plates. Unless they are cranked down stupid tight, it is likely that you would get a "clunk" from this play. I ended up cutting my plates down as the top hole would not comfortably clear my PST driveshaft. In the event I do get noise, I will be fabbing a new set of plates with smaller holes.
    ok i see..so i am on the right path correct ? i think i will look into getting those plates fabbed up...this is making me feel a little more comfortable to take the plunge to buy tunnel mounted T/A ...i will make it work at any cost.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If I end up with a noisy tunnel mount it is exactly what I am going to do. I can always raise up the safety loop to compensate for the rubber spacers. I was also going to loc-tite and "double nut" the tunnel brace bolts in the body if I have room to do it. That way, any compression of the rubber spacers does not allow the bolts to loosen up.

98' trans am

If I end up with a noisy tunnel mount it is exactly what I am going to do. I can always raise up the safety loop to compensate for the rubber spacers. I was also going to loc-tite and "double nut" the tunnel brace bolts in the body if I have room to do it. That way, any compression of the rubber spacers does not allow the bolts to loosen up.
    good thinking ...keep me/us updated...i doubt i will buy the torque arm this season...but i might ..and i want to run a short arm

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

wat i would try is putting a piece of dynamat extreme or even doubling up on it between the torque arm and body mount. dynamat is the best way you can possibly suppress noise and vibration on a car so id try that. do the extreme one.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Resurrected!!!!

Any update on this, Jeff? I have often wondered why folks haven't put rubber between the metal parts that clank and bang...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have just learned to live with it, or pop the cutout open. It only makes noise on transitions from forward to reverse and on low speed maneuvers in and out of sloped driveways and such.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ah, cool. I just ordered some LCAs and had some room in the budget... was considering a TA.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Thread Information