blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Need some v6 help......dont know where to start.

Ok guys i have a cousin that needs help bad

She has a 98 camaro (v6) and the car only starts up after spraying starter fluid into the intake/air cleaner. Its really grumpy and does not want to stay started up until you rev it up a bit. The cars CEL is on but im afraid to drive it to get the code read because i dont really know whats wrong and i dont wanna damage anything further. Her ex-husband told her it needed a new M.A.F sensor but i dont know if he knows what hes talking about as he doesnt know much about cars...he's the one who has her spraying starting fluid into it all the time instead of fixing whatever is wrong, so idk....I know her car was running great, only issue was it had a fuel pump removed and replaced about a two weeks before all this started to happen so, could it be a bad m.a.f. sensor? or could it be a crappy fuel pump replacement job?

so far i have cleaned the m.a.f. sensor and tried to start it without starting fluid, no go...... i spray starting fluid and it eventually starts but doesnt stay started up you have to spray the starting fluid in the intake and kinda get it going....also the pedal (gas) feels EXTREAMELLY!!!!! spongey or heavy....

thanks for reading.
    Last edited by ggino85; 03-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah, bad MAF sounds right....dont be scared of a code, as long as the light isnt blinking, you should be fine to drive it.

a shop will prob charge you a lot to read it, but theyll also diagnose.

Go by somewhere like Oreillys, they usually wont charge you, but theyll only tell you the code...you can either google it, or post it here.

Between me and Smittro you should be fine

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Ok thanks i'll try getting a new m.a.f. sensor and then take it to get the code read, i'll post back the results.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hey Smittro!!! He'll eventually see this thread.

Until then, I believe that if you unplug the MAF, the engine tries to run in speed density off the MAP sensor. Do that and see what happens. Also, you may simply have a fueling issue. There should be a port that you can get a fuel pressure reading off of. Not sure about the sixers though -- our car should show 58 lbs., yours may be different. Either a fuel filter, pump or pressure regulator (if it is not integral with the pump) may also be the issue. Any vacuum leaks -- like the PCV system, or ducting between the MAF and the intake?

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Yeah I used to have a 2000 V6 Camaro and had the same issue, replaced the fuel pump after failing to fix it with cleaning the MAF sensor (had recently replaced). Checked the plugs and made sure they were sparking and they were and found out fuel wasn't getting to the injectors. Only after replacing the fuel pump did I realize it was a clogged fuel filter =( oh well, I was younger and I learned. So check that out, it's easy to check and mine was a 3.8L Series II

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Fly by wire or cable driven TB? I can't remember the years they started using fly by wire.. STOP using starting fluid to start it. Need a little more info to go on.. You may have "cooked" your MAF with all that starting fluid.. Fuel filter changed? or just the pump? A new MAF may correct this issue however it should have gone into limp mode and would still start even if the MAF is dead.. Definetly gotta get the codes read..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Hey Smittro!!! He'll eventually see this thread.

Until then, I believe that if you unplug the MAF, the engine tries to run in speed density off the MAP sensor. Do that and see what happens. Also, you may simply have a fueling issue. There should be a port that you can get a fuel pressure reading off of. Not sure about the sixers though -- our car should show 58 lbs., yours may be different. Either a fuel filter, pump or pressure regulator (if it is not integral with the pump) may also be the issue. Any vacuum leaks -- like the PCV system, or ducting between the MAF and the intake?
    no, no leaks anywhere. Im gonna try unplugging the maf sensor and seeing how that does, if it still doesnt start up then that means its not the maf sensor huh? i dont want her to spend 140$ on a new maf sensor unless she has to...... (hard times).... im gonna try the fuel filter just to make sure it is something simple like that. The pcv valve itself sounds ok (rattles) but im also gonna try the card trick on the oil filler cap just to make sure. After that i think im gonna get a fuel pressure tester and see how that checks out..... i'll post the results when i get out of class at 3:30 today.....

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    Yeah I used to have a 2000 V6 Camaro and had the same issue, replaced the fuel pump after failing to fix it with cleaning the MAF sensor (had recently replaced). Checked the plugs and made sure they were sparking and they were and found out fuel wasn't getting to the injectors. Only after replacing the fuel pump did I realize it was a clogged fuel filter =( oh well, I was younger and I learned. So check that out, it's easy to check and mine was a 3.8L Series II
    Yeah i didnt even think of the fuel filter until you mentioned it.....i'll try that. thank you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Okay well your abviously not fly by wire judging from you just being able to rattle the pcv. The peddle thing you mentioned is it hard to push or too soft?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Fly by wire or cable driven TB? I can't remember the years they started using fly by wire.. STOP using starting fluid to start it. Need a little more info to go on.. You may have "cooked" your MAF with all that starting fluid.. Fuel filter changed? or just the pump? A new MAF may correct this issue however it should have gone into limp mode and would still start even if the MAF is dead..
    Wat does a fly by wire look like, i think its cable driven it looks kinda the same as my 99' z. LOL yeah i new the starting fluid stuff was ALL BAD, i actually wouldnt even try to get it going with it i just typed what she told me the car did with her exhusband. When she told me what they were doing to start it i immediately cleaned the maf sensor (it was hella dirty) but it didnt help......Im pretty sure they just had the fuel pump changed im gonna change the filter today...... and see what happens.

thanks for all the tips guys i really appreciate it.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Okay well your abviously not fly by wire judging from you just being able to rattle the pcv. The peddle thing you mentioned is it hard to push or too soft?
    the pedal is really hard, spongy hard.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    Wat does a fly by wire look like, i think its cable driven it looks kinda the same as my 99' z. LOL yeah i new the starting fluid stuff was ALL BAD, i actually wouldnt even try to get it going with it i just typed what she told me the car did with her exhusband. When she told me what they were doing to start it i immediately cleaned the maf sensor (it was hella dirty) but it didnt help......Im pretty sure they just had the fuel pump changed im gonna change the filter today...... and see what happens.

thanks for all the tips guys i really appreciate it.
    this is fly by wire:

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    the pedal is really hard, spongy hard.
    Could be the TPS is gummed up or melted from the starting fluid..

Thread Information