Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: slow 5.0

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I raced a stock 88-5.0 auto which was a 15 sec. car new. With my Z34 24v-v6 which was also a 15 sec car lol.. Pretty much door to door I could edge it around 7000 rpm..
    5.0 vs. ls1 ehh = waste o gas...imho
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    aIt does not take all that crap to beat an LS1. Properly-driven, 5.0's have gotten into the 12's with bolt-ons (no internal engine mods, no power adders) since way back in 1989 (likely before you were born). With all that crap you listed, properly-driven 5.0s have gone deep into the 11s (without a bottle).

You and/or your 5.0s obviously sucked. I'm sorry.

Like I said above....get off the internet and learn a little.
    so would you say it's the norm for bolt on 5.0's to run 12's, or are you as likely to run into one of those as a 10 sec bolt on fbody?

most people consider "bolt on" as stock with gears, headers, exhaust, etc. not full chassis prepped cars meant to cut wicked 60' times at the track.

a normal bolt on 5.0 would run 14's, but it really depends on what your definition of bolt on means.

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    normally i wouldn't respond to such a stupid post but you are crazy. i had 4 mustangs,87 lx 5.0,92 gt,96 gt,97 gt,i know full well what a 5.0 mustang can and cannot do,my 92 gt was a 5-speed with 3.55 gears,off road h pipe,flowmaster catback,k&n cold air intake,c&l 92mm mass air meter,b&m ripper shifter,and 70 mm throttle body.when i raced the first 98 t/a ls1 in montgomery,al back in late '97 he cleaned my clock quite easily.i don't know what you are smoking but without gt-40x heads,gt-40 intake,headers,x303 cam,and probably a bottle a 5.0 CANNOT beat a ls1! that adds up to a lot of bolt ons/power adders.
    Don't you think the 92 MM mass air was a little too big for that combination? I have the same combination of parts on my 95 GT and only have a 76 MM mass air. Maybe thats why your car is under performing. Just food for thought.

My buddy beats LS1 camaros in his 92 LX notchback but he has a full bolt on car with trick flow heads and an e-cam with weight reduction, 3000 lbs with driver. He also has some go straight suspension goodies LCA's pan hard bar kit and upper control arms and Nitto DR's. It's a legit low 12 second car. These cars are common in the midwest but not so much in pollution controlled states.
    Last edited by seamurda; 04-05-2010 at 04:02 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    so would you say it's the norm for bolt on 5.0's to run 12's, or are you as likely to run into one of those as a 10 sec bolt on fbody?
    Nope, I wouldn't say its normal for a "bolt-on" 5.0 to go 12's. Never implied as much either.

most people consider "bolt on" as stock with gears, headers, exhaust, etc. not full chassis prepped cars meant to cut wicked 60' times at the track.
    I consider "bolt-on" to be stock with gears, headers, exhaust, etc too. "Full chassis prepped" can mean a lot of things, but typical "bolt-on" cars might have a set of UCAs and LCAs, perhaps different springs and shocks.

a normal bolt on 5.0 would run 14's, but it really depends on what your definition of bolt on means.
    No, depends on what your definition of "normal" means. Fact remains - internally-stock 5.0s were dipping into the 12s in the late 80s. No power adders, not gutted, no internal engine mods.

Obviously there are bone stock LS1 F-bodys that have gone high 12's, so please don't assume I'm trying to say the average 5.0 is going to outrun the average LS1. Been playin this game a loooonnnnggg time.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Nope, I wouldn't say its normal for a "bolt-on" 5.0 to go 12's. Never implied as much either.

I consider "bolt-on" to be stock with gears, headers, exhaust, etc too. "Full chassis prepped" can mean a lot of things, but typical "bolt-on" cars might have a set of UCAs and LCAs, perhaps different springs and shocks.

No, depends on what your definition of "normal" means. Fact remains - internally-stock 5.0s were dipping into the 12s in the late 80s. No power adders, not gutted, no internal engine mods.

Obviously there are bone stock LS1 F-bodys that have gone high 12's, so please don't assume I'm trying to say the average 5.0 is going to outrun the average LS1. Been playin this game a loooonnnnggg time.

the fact of the matter is a bolt on 12 second 5.0 is the same as a 10 second bolt on ls1. most people run nowhere near this.

for normal people, it does take at least heads and cam on a 5.0 to run with an ls1.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Thank you for setting me straight - especially about normal people.

Thread Information