Thread: 98 Cobra...

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

98 Cobra...

So one of my close buddies has a 98 Cobra with intake, lt's, x pipe, 4.10's and some intake delete mod for Cobras? Im not sure what that last one is. Anyways he's about to get his car back from paint today after 6 long months, and I'm sure we're gonna line them up! Well i've beat him before easily with my 02 WS.6 by a few car lenghts with no problem. But well my 02 is in the body shop right now too so i'll probably race him with my 98 Trans Am a4 which only has pacesetter lt's, texas speed y, k&n fipk 2, tranny shift kit, and should get a Frost tune next week maybe.

You guys think i could take him with my 98 T/A? His fiance has a 99 bone stock z28 a4 with just magnaflow catback, how would she do against him?

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

the z28 should be able to hold the cobra off, the 98 t/a shouldn't have a problem wit the cobra, I've raced a 01 cobra with similar mods and it was basically dead even and i've got an a4 wit just exhaust and lid

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The "intake delete mod" you're referring to would be the elimination of the IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control). This is a set of butterfly valves that stay closed at low rpm (below ~4000) so that the air takes a long way through the intake, building low-mid range torque. Above that point (at full throttle), the plates will open, allowing the air to go through a shorter path, thus increasing high rpm torque (power). They have a habit of sticking closed and/or not opening all the way, so deleting them is fairly common. With a DOHC 4V motor, you don't do much racing below 4000 rpm anyway (7000 rpm redline).

Exhaust and 4.10s will wake that car up quite a bit (though 4.30s or higher are better for drag racing). His main problem will likely be traction. Also, if he doesn't spin the motor as high as he can, that'll hurt too (many people only take these motors to 6000-6500 rpm, significantly lowering average power).

If your 98 is running right, and you can get traction from a dig, you should get him. The 99Z will be a closer race....assuming the Cobra can get traction and the guy knows how to race it. BTW, if I had an A4, I would ALWAYS race from a dig - it has all the advantages.

Race wisely - race safe. Stay away from high traffic areas. Even better - take it to the track.

Good luck.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Yea that's the mod he has! And yea I usually don't have lots of issues with traction with 315's out back but I think ill take him after I get my frost tune done. Let's hope I do cause I would have all bragging rights over him with both my cars!

Ill make sure to get vid and pics of this one

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

You'll take him no problem, no worries dude haha

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    ...Ill make sure to get vid and pics of this one
    Once again...

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Race wisely - race safe. Stay away from high traffic areas. Even better - take it to the track.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

yea we always go to the track or a few miles outta the city to the urban areas, it'll actually be the first time his fiance races her 99z

Thread Information