Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 03 cobra

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

For one, I refer to are cars as Terminators due to the fact that if the Terminator was built by Ford....John Conner could have kicked its ass with a crayon
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

why are they ice packers??? just curious

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    why are they ice packers??? just curious
    makes sense to me because their s/c's get hot very quick and whenever i see them at the track they got bags of ice in a cooler a friend brought. 2-3 passes within an hour and they break out the bags like their lives depend on it. dont know if it is just an eaton problem or an overall problem with the engine bay design that keeps them so hot.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

hahaha that sux!

Torch Red
    2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1

The Eaton, nicknamed "Heaton" by a lot of Cobra owners, is notorious for heat soak. But, heat is a normal byproduct of any type of air compression, and the more it's compressed, the more heat that is going to be produced as a result. People use a variety of things to bring down the IAT charge, like ice, methanol/water injection, and even a small shot of nitrous.
    2003 Torch Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 5-speed
    FRPP Aluminator 32V Long Block + Kenne Bell 2.1
    657 RWHP 635 RWTQ @16psi on 93 Octane
    Custom Tuning by Tillman Speed

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by TRMach1 View Post
    The Eaton, nicknamed "Heaton" by a lot of Cobra owners, is notorious for heat soak. But, heat is a normal byproduct of any type of air compression, and the more it's compressed, the more heat that is going to be produced as a result. People use a variety of things to bring down the IAT charge, like ice, methanol/water injection, and even a small shot of nitrous.

Correct, its not just cobras guys, FI and non FI cars at the drag strip get hot. Cause your only moving for a short period of time, plenty of guys have cooling methods. I know guys with turbos and s/c at road courses that get no heat soak because your constantly moving.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Correct, its not just cobras guys, FI and non FI cars at the drag strip get hot. Cause your only moving for a short period of time, plenty of guys have cooling methods. I know guys with turbos and s/c at road courses that get no heat soak because your constantly moving.
    im gonna have to pay more attention next time but it just seems to get too hot in a hurry. but then again most i know are n/a.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

I used to put a bag of ice on the intake of both my 88 5.0 and my 99 4.6 (N/A). Of course, those were metal intakes, and thus the ice could make a noticeable difference (talking hundreths of a second of ET - nothing you'd feel "seat of the pants").

BTW...just wanted to mention....mbrownin was correct about HP/L vs HP/LB in the locked thread.

Just sayin. Carry on now, and sorry for the interruption.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by TRMach1 View Post
    Or the ultimate solution to the eaton is a Whipple or a KB. Whaich I see you are familiar with.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    I used to put a bag of ice on the intake of both my 88 5.0 and my 99 4.6 (N/A). Of course, those were metal intakes, and thus the ice could make a noticeable difference (talking hundreths of a second of ET - nothing you'd feel "seat of the pants").

BTW...just wanted to mention....mbrownin was correct about HP/L vs HP/LB in the locked thread.

Just sayin. Carry on now, and sorry for the interruption.
    I am very ecited for BLKCOUD, he is about to have his 1000th post. Lets just hope it is a memorable one, and not a referance to a Chevy Chase film. Doctor........Doctor......Doctor............Doctor ....Doctor, Dr. Rosenpenis? Yes, as far as you know.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

....***** y a w n *****.....

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

good 1000th post congrats lol

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

You have full bolt ons and a cam, but you couldn't beat a Cobra with exhaust and intake? There's something wrong for sure.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSmokin99 View Post
    You have full bolt ons and a cam, but you couldn't beat a Cobra with exhaust and intake? There's something wrong for sure.
    which is why the cobra either had more than intake exhaust or op needed driver.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive heard on the cobra's if you go with high flow cats or delete the cats you pick up major power since they tend to clog up bad. A while ago ive heard just intake and exhuast meaning also removing cats you can easily get up to 400rwhp.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive heard on the cobra's if you go with high flow cats or delete the cats you pick up major power since they tend to clog up bad. A while ago ive heard just intake and exhuast meaning also removing cats you can easily get up to 400rwhp.
    I know ORX pipes make a big difference on Cobra's. I raced my friend when he had a catted H on his 04 Cobra and beat him 3 times. He has full exhaust, catted H, & intake. Then he put a ORX and he beat me by a full car. A rematch will happen soon though since I fixed my O2's. I'm sure it'll be A LOT closer now. He put down 428rwhp 392rwtq on a Dyno Jet 2 days ago.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive heard the cats make a big difference. I had a friend of mine put on a ORX, he said it made a difference no doubt but he paired it up with magnaflows which sounded terrible on his car. Funny thing is before buying my 01Z28 i had a few opportunities to buy a Termi but after driving one that was modded with a aftermarket clutch and the other 2 i drove with a stock clutch, it was way too stiff especially the aftermarket clutch your left foot would shake as your pushing in the pedal. The sitting position was bad and didnt like were the shifter was. There were other complaints i had but for what it is, it is a great car and i can look past the rest of the faults just not the clutch it was just way too stiff.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive heard the cats make a big difference. I had a friend of mine put on a ORX, he said it made a difference no doubt but he paired it up with magnaflows which sounded terrible on his car. Funny thing is before buying my 01Z28 i had a few opportunities to buy a Termi but after driving one that was modded with a aftermarket clutch and the other 2 i drove with a stock clutch, it was way too stiff especially the aftermarket clutch your left foot would shake as your pushing in the pedal. The sitting position was bad and didnt like were the shifter was. There were other complaints i had but for what it is, it is a great car and i can look past the rest of the faults just not the clutch it was just way too stiff.
    Yup I've driven about a dozen 03/04 Cobra's and I HATE HATE HATE how stiff the clutch is on those cars. The shifter location is also better on the F-bodys. Other than those 2 things I love them. They look badass and they sound badass.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I really like the new shelby 350s for once im excited for a ford and the reason i bring this up is because the only other ford i like is the terminator cobra

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

I wonder how fast the 2011 5.0 is going to be. They finally made a GT with respectable HP. Wonder how many people are going to buy them when the insurance is through the roof! Lots of people go the GT route because it is cheaper for insurance. I'm not really into the newer cars. I like the 5.0 Mustangs and LS1 Camaros. Until they make a car that runs low 13's high 12's for less than 10 grand like and LS1, I'm not interested. It'll be fun racing the new mustangs though... you know they are going to be froggy since now they have a car that can compete with an LS1 Camaro in a drag race!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information