• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.48%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19293949656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1385

red
    2004 M6 GTO, 383 stroker

I'm betting all us GTO owners are curious about the black beast...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A/K/A "Oprah" if I recall.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Pristine. I only drive her about 1 a month now. She has 17K original miles.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

red
    2004 M6 GTO, 383 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Pristine. I only drive her about 1 a month now. She has 17K original miles.
    My 04 is a Hurst GTO, Only has 23k on the chassis, the engine less than 4k, a new built 383 stroker eagle, Trickflow Heads, American Racing Headers, New Kevlar Clutch, Hurst Shifter. Im gonna put the Fast 92/92mm Intake/TB Combo on there, Dewitts Rad with built in oil cooler, and Id like to get a 1 piece driveshaft in there. Ill prolly throw the Trickflow/KN CAI on there as well.

Would love to do Harrop Diff Cover as well and Brakes....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have 1 piece DS and Harrop and Porsche axles. Koni adjustable on and on. Pedders bushings tightened things up nicely.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm a Oil Junkie

Welcome back Sarge!!

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

black
    02 trans am

What do you guys think of Valvoline synpower 5w30 for the ls1?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Have not looked into it. Been running Penzoil Platinum for the last several years now.

black
    02 trans am

How is the valve train noise with the Pennzoil Platinum?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have used Pennzoil Platinum for the last 16 years I have owned my 2002 Camaro SS. Zero issues.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 02nhrals1 View Post
    How is the valve train noise with the Pennzoil Platinum?
    Nothing over and above the inherent noise characteristics of an LS engine.

I’m not sure if this is where to post a question about oil, if not, the mod can delete it.

For 15 years of owning my WS6 and having the oil changed, it's always been filled with Pennzoil full synthetic oil and a filter good for 15k miles, even though I never wait that long. I had it changed the other day and found out the mechanic didn’t use synthetic oil. Some people are telling me it has to be changed asap or it can can mess up the engine. Is it true once synthetic is used you can’t have regular oil used?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    I’m not sure if this is where to post a question about oil, if not, the mod can delete it.

For 15 years of owning my WS6 and having the oil changed, it's always been filled with Pennzoil full synthetic oil and a filter good for 15k miles, even though I never wait that long. I had it changed the other day and found out the mechanic didn’t use synthetic oil. Some people are telling me it has to be changed asap or it can can mess up the engine. Is it true once synthetic is used you can’t have regular oil used?
    You kind of answered your own question..If for 15 years you had the oil changed and used the synthetic oil then I would stick with that!!...Why did they use non synth oil? Did you request this? If not I would have asked them to replace it free of charge..unless you did not discuss it with them but in any case the shop in question is not very trustworthy as they should have known that that car should have synthetic!!As far as "messing up the engine" Im sure there will be varying answers and opinions soon to be here! But MOST cars engines were tested and designed to run on a certain type and viscosity of oil to get the most life and less wear on them. So if your engine came from the factory using say Mobil one 5-30 synthetic..I would not think that another brand with the same viscosity (weight) would do much harm if any at all! The main thing is to stick with the type and weight that the manufactures suggested and that is in your cars manual...There are exceptions like if you live in the desert or sub freezing arctic...LOL...But Id stick with what the manufactures suggest! I really doubt ( In fact it wont!) Immediately implode or explode but me personally would NOT have that nasty dino oil in my ride...LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    You kind of answered your own question..If for 15 years you had the oil changed and used the synthetic oil then I would stick with that!!...Why did they use non synth oil? Did you request this? If not I would have asked them to replace it free of charge..unless you did not discuss it with them but in any case the shop in question is not very trustworthy as they should have known that that car should have synthetic!!As far as "messing up the engine" Im sure there will be varying answers and opinions soon to be here! But MOST cars engines were tested and designed to run on a certain type and viscosity of oil to get the most life and less wear on them. So if your engine came from the factory using say Mobil one 5-30 synthetic..I would not think that another brand with the same viscosity (weight) would do much harm if any at all! The main thing is to stick with the type and weight that the manufactures suggested and that is in your cars manual...There are exceptions like if you live in the desert or sub freezing arctic...LOL...But Id stick with what the manufactures suggest! I really doubt ( In fact it wont!) Immediately implode or explode but me personally would NOT have that nasty dino oil in my ride...LOL...

It was very clear that I wanted full synthetic oil used, especially since I bought the filter good for 15k miles and had the Pennzoil Full Synthetic Oil in my car for the mechanic to use and I was only paying him labor to change it.

The only reason of having him change it is since he was changing the fuel filter.

The oil filter they used is a cheap 3k filter, they stole $30 wipers out of my car and charged me $14 labor for wipers. When calling to ask what that was about, they said the Rain-X wipers I had didn't have clips so they couldn't use them. I said the wipers were in a bag that was tied closed with a sweatshirt covering it along with a windshield sun shade over it and they had no right taking them out of my car and keeping them, like I wouldn't notice they were gone. They say they forgot to put them back and if I really want them, I can come pick them up. My friend who told me about this mechanic went to the shop when telling him that day what happened. The oil filter was on the work bench still in the box, the oil was not opened and the wipers were sitting there unopened, so not sure how they could say the clips were missing when they didn't open the package. I ended up paying $75 for an oil change ($59 oil & filter, $16 labor) when it was a cheap filter and oil that I could have gone elsewhere and paid $20 for that crappy service.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry to hear. They jacked you over good on that one. To answer your question, conventional oil is not going to hurt anything. Pull the dipstick though and make sure that it is in fact "new oil" in your engine. You can either run what is in it for 3,000 miles, or change the oil again and install the filter and oil that you normally utilize. I also utilize Penzoil Platinum in our cars.

Thanks for the reply pajeff02. I feel better now knowing the oil will be ok for at least 3,000 miles but it'll be changed sooner. Didn't really want to go buy the $60 oil and filter to have it done right away if it didn't need to be. It is new oil, already checked that.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just keep an eye on things since they half-assed the job. You may want to check both the filter and drain plug bolt for tightness...

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

It was very clear that I wanted full synthetic oil used, especially since I bought the filter good for 15k miles and had the Pennzoil Full Synthetic Oil in my car for the mechanic to use and I was only paying him labor to change it.

The only reason of having him change it is since he was changing the fuel filter.

The oil filter they used is a cheap 3k filter, they stole $30 wipers out of my car and charged me $14 labor for wipers. When calling to ask what that was about, they said the Rain-X wipers I had didn't have clips so they couldn't use them. I said the wipers were in a bag that was tied closed with a sweatshirt covering it along with a windshield sun shade over it and they had no right taking them out of my car and keeping them, like I wouldn't notice they were gone. They say they forgot to put them back and if I really want them, I can come pick them up. My friend who told me about this mechanic went to the shop when telling him that day what happened. The oil filter was on the work bench still in the box, the oil was not opened and the wipers were sitting there unopened, so not sure how they could say the clips were missing when they didn't open the package. I ended up paying $75 for an oil change ($59 oil & filter, $16 labor) when it was a cheap filter and oil that I could have gone elsewhere and paid $20 for that crappy service.
    Countless stories like this (and some worse) are why I do all of my own maintenance. Even on my 2016, I had 2 free oil changes from the dealership that I opted out of because I didn't want some yayhoo screwing things up on my car...
    I only take my car in for warranty work, and that still makes me shudder in fear of what they could do wrong.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, I hope you can find a reputable shop in the future.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Changing my oil is kind of a pain in the butt for me anymore. So, I take my oil and filter down, hand them over and stand there and watch. I never drop my car off. It's sad, but that's the way you have to do it.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post

Countless stories like this (and some worse) are why I do all of my own maintenance. Even on my 2016, I had 2 free oil changes from the dealership that I opted out of because I didn't want some yayhoo screwing things up on my car...
    I only take my car in for warranty work, and that still makes me shudder in fear of what they could do wrong.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, I hope you can find a reputable shop in the future.
    Can't tell you how many times I've seen stories of people with 6th gen camaros being shorted on oil at the dealership.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19293949656667686970 LastLast

Thread Information