• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.48%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567824344454 ... LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    It's Teed into the PCV valve line between the PCV valve & the intake manifold.
    That's what I figured would be best since the PCV line is the source for most of the "dirt" that gets into the intake. An alternative might be the line from the valve cover to the top left of the throttle body since that is the source for some of the "dirt" (much less dirt, but I'd still like to keep it clean, too).

Just curious, as I have thought about installing something like that. Looks like the Marvel setup is a great one to use. How much $ was it?

It's an AMPCO inverse oiler. It was $59.95 + $4.50 for the PCV line T connector. Do an AMPCO search or AMPCO lubricator search & you will find them. I too wanted a Marvel unit, but, found them to be obsolete & could only find very expensive used models. Have both a 1 qt. (on the Buick) & a 1 pint (on the LS1). Had to go w/ the 1 pint on the LS1 so that it would fit. If you can find a spot, the 1 quart is better 'cuz you'r filling it every 1,000+ miles instead of every 300 or 400 miles.

BTW, for those wondering, I am not a dealer & do not represent the interests of any inverse oiler manufacturer. Am just a guy whom benefits from its' use.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Could you post a picture? I just want to see where you mounted the unit. I agree the 1 quart unit is preferable and I'll hunt for a spot that will not interfere with my other add-on plans. Thanks.

Here's the AMPCO on the LS1 engine.

tankerpilot
    AMSOil here...the best in my opinion
    Use AMSOil ATF as well as in my differentials

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by tankerpilot
    AMSOil here...the best in my opinion
    Use AMSOil ATF as well as in my differentials
    Hey man....do you utilize the preferred customer program?
    I have Amsoil front to back on the GTO.....

tankerpilot
    I'm a dealer Sarge. Just got my Vette...so I need to swap everything in her out with AMSOil yet.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'm a dealer Sarge. Just got my Vette...so I need to swap everything in her out with AMSOil yet.
    You going to run the 0-30 Series 2000?

tankerpilot
    I was thinking just 5W-30 in it....that is what I use in my Supercharged 02 Tahoe.

Do you think the 0-30 2000 would be better?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Short answer yes....Better flow and wear protection numbers....

tankerpilot
    mmm....interesting.....so would be better for both the Corvette and Tahoe then I guess? I've got like 4 gallons of 5W-30 left...maybe I can sell that off to a friend and get 0-30....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

mmm....interesting.....so would be better for both the Corvette and Tahoe then I guess? I've got like 4 gallons of 5W-30 left...maybe I can sell that off to a friend and get 0-30....
    I use the 0-30 in the Dodge R/T and the GTO LS1...excellent results....
    I also use the dual oil filters (remote) in both cars.....

silver
    1999 trans am

i just tried some penzoil platinum. any feedback on that brand?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by dotcom2000
    i just tried some penzoil platinum. any feedback on that brand?
    Yup I have been watching these oils from day one.....Pennzoil additive packs in the Virgin Oil Analysis looks like somebody slipped Mobil 1 in there...the Boron and Moly is slightly lower...however that is no big deal.....it is a API SM/GL-4 rated oil and that aint nothing to sneeze at......Used Oil Analysis reveal excellent wear results...even in a turbo motor....so all in all....a very nice oil....Pennzoil Platinum is on sale down here for $2.99 a quart....now that is a steal for a top grade oil.....so I have two cases of 10-30 waiting to go in the Dodge R/T....gotta give it a try with the VOA/UOA results and the price now dont we

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    . . . I might substitute a quart or two or three with 15w50. . . .

How high does your oil temp run when you're running it hard? For how long?
    The highest oil temp I have seen is 240 degrees. That was on a 100 deg day after a "high speed run" with two people on and AC on, 0-150+ MPH. (The car does 0-150 in about 18 seconds like that, but the oil temp rises about 15 degrees during those few seconds.

I AM VERY INTERESTED in anything anyone knows about mixing grades of oils. This summer I ran 4 quarts of 0-40 and four of 15-55 Mobil 1, but the oil temp versus temp results I get are virtually the same as with 0-40. My son (who is a service manager at a Ford dealer, so he knows cars, but is not an expert on oil) said he thought maybe the thinner oil "lubircated the thicker oil" rather than mixing. Makes a bit of sense. But,

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW OILS OF DIFFERENT VISCOSITY RATING ACT WHEN MIXED: IF I HAVE A 50/50 MIXTURE OF 0-40 AND 15-55, DO I REALLY GET SOMETHING CLOSE TO 7.5-47.5??

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey Rhino..... I used to mix and used this tool to get the blended cSt@100c I was after..... http://www.baseoils.shellglobalsolut...ending_pop.asp

However I would be remiss if I failed to mention I quit mixing. Reason being....the oils today are formulated damn near to perfection....so why mix say a 10-40 with 15/50 to get a thicker 40 weight at op temps when you can just get a 40 weight with the same cSt or viscosity you are looking for in the first place....however....you are not hurting a damn thing by mixing.....so you can use the above calculator to mix the preferred viscosity......

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Hey Rhino..... I used to mix and used this tool to get the blended cSt@100c I was after..... http://www.baseoils.shellglobalsolut...ending_pop.asp

However I would be remiss if I failed to mention I quit mixing. Reason being....the oils today are formulated damn near to perfection....so why mix say a 10-40 with 15/50 to get a thicker 40 weight at op temps when you can just get a 40 weight with the same cSt or viscosity you are looking for in the first place....however....you are not hurting a damn thing by mixing.....so you can use the above calculator to mix the preferred viscosity......
    thanks for the advice. I won't mix anymore, but I sure wish someone made a 0-50.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    thanks for the advice. I won't mix anymore, but I sure wish someone made a 0-50.
    I hear ya man.....Take a look at Valvoline 20-50 Racing Oil.....or Amsoil 20-50...I mean hells bells a pour at -34 aint all to bad.....if its -35 my ass is in the fireplace...not in the GTO....
    http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?Product=94
    http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?Product=95
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-18-2005 at 09:09 AM.

BlackHawk T/A
    So the owners manual says use 10W-30, unless its going to be colder than 60F, then 5W-30. I am about to change my oil with Mobil 10W-40 (I have 6qt sitting here, the "clean 5000" stuff), and I will be driving it in 0-60F temps this winter (but not on snow or ice).

Is this a bad idea? Should I bump down to 5W-30?

Now I only put maybe 6k miles on my car per year, which means a once-a-year oil change. Meaning, the next time I change my oil won't be until about the same time next year, so this oil would also be used through the summer (60-100F).

I can't find 0W-40 here. All I can find is 5-30, 10-30 and 10-40!

What do you guys recommend I stick with? This is an 01 with 73k miles.
    Last edited by BlackHawk T/A; 09-18-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    So the owners manual says use 10W-30, unless its going to be colder than 60F, then 5W-30. I am about to change my oil with Mobil 10W-40 (I have 6qt sitting here, the "clean 5000" stuff), and I will be driving it in 0-60F temps this winter (but not on snow or ice).

Is this a bad idea? Should I bump down to 5W-30?

Now I only put maybe 6k miles on my car per year, which means a once-a-year oil change. Meaning, the next time I change my oil won't be until about the same time next year, so this oil would also be used through the summer (60-100F).

I can't find 0W-40 here. All I can find is 5-30, 10-30 and 10-40!

What do you guys recommend I stick with? This is an 01 with 73k miles.
    Hey Husker....Forgive me if I point out the obvious on Mobil Clean 5000.....it is 100% Dino Oil.....Havoline at 1.25 a quart kicks the living shit out of it....my major problem with Mobil Clean 5000 is the level of sodium in it...yes ....salt...Once a year oil changes are scary....ever hear of condensation? With that few of miles you never get the oil temps up to burn it off and with that few of miles a year you will never burn off the condensation in your engine......So with that said...you need to seriously consider a synthetic and twice a year oil changes....I don't care if you never drive it...twice a year just to get the condensation out.......look at Amsoil 0-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 10-30...a really good oil right now is Phillips 66 10-30 Synthetic for a $1.00 at Dollar Tree or WalMart...excellent VOA's.....use any filter but a Fram and your good to go...yes even a SuperTech Filter is better than a a Fram....
    Think about starting your baby up and letting her idle/run for at least 30-45 minutes to get up to operating temps during the "off season".......do this at least once a month......as for the viscosity.......stay in the 0-30 or 10-30 range...stay away from 5-30 which is the thinnest oil you can get outside of 5-20..........I'll stand by for the Internet experts

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567824344454 ... LastLast

Thread Information