Thread: race question?

Black
    2000 TA Built

race question?

i have a 99 z28 6 speed....what is the best way to get traction off the line with stock tires????what about traction control? also....does anyone elses car go into 4th gear extremely hard almost grinds everytime u powershift just a small amount...i have the skip shift thing also

Black
    2000 TA Built

35 looks...no answers please help a guy out

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

u could get some 17x9 inch rims and get wider tires (ie 275 285 mm wide), or just rev the car to about 2 grand at a stand and slip the cluch kinda quick but not dumping it, then once you hit about 10mph just flor it and hope for the best

its hard for me to say because i have a wider set of tires than you (my car hooks up from a 5mph roll) that is the best advice i can really give ya

PS. Keep the ASR (traction controll) off when you race it pulses the brakes and reduces throttle .
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Black
    2000 TA Built

thanks...ill try er

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I would beef up your suspension if you haven't already...

2000 ss silver bullet volksmech1's Avatar

silver
    2000 camaro ss

subframe connectors

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Actually, launch a six speed consistently is an art form. practice makes perfect. It is very definitely easier with drag radials on a well prepped track. Try about 28 pounds in the rear, 40 pounds in the front, disconnect the front sway bar (just unhook one side and wire it up with a coat hanger), avoid following front wheel drive cars to the line as they will drag water from the rear ries no matter what. Get behind someone with slicks or ET Streets. Drive around the water box if at all possible. Do a short burnout to clean off the dirt from the rear tires. Get in the tracks of the guy with the slicks ahead of you. Stage shallow so if you do roll a bit you won't light the red bulb. Feather the rpms between 1200 and 1500. Time your feather so when the third yellow comes on the revs are moving up in the direction of the 1500 and do a quick release of the clutch. Don't "ride" the clutch but do not dump it either. Stock tires have pretty stiff sidewalls so if you dump the clutch it will most likely spin. Just do a clean and smooth quick release of the clutch while planting the go pedal to the floor.

The rest of the shifting is up to you. If the car spins out of the gate back out and back on very quickly. No sense in bouncing off the rev limiter or losing control as your ET is already pooched. Just make the rest of the run as smooth as possible to try and at least gain a sense of the incremental splits.

You can try varying the tire pressure in the rear down or up if you continue to spin. You can also try launching lower or higher depending on what happens. With stock tires it is pretty much up to the driver to have the exact right touch with the gas and clutch and to line up in the best part of the groove.

You want traction control off as it will only slow you down. Also turn off any fans, turn off the radio, and anything else not necessary to operate the vehicle. Make sure you have cleaned out the car so you don't have a bunch of loose crap laying around. bring your own tire gauge. Most tires gauges are a little different so the only way to truly calibrate your tire pressure is to use the same gauge each time as it will be calibrated to itself regardless of what it reads. I would go in two pound increments to start until you gain more of a feel for the actual launch.
    Last edited by tnthub; 02-24-2006 at 02:01 PM.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

lee1rbc
    practice, practice, practice. Find a parking lot or something were you can do burn outs and practice staging burnouts and launches. If You are running in the 13s you should at least be running a 2.1 60ft. You want everything just on the edge so You nd to practice going over the edge

black
    2002 WS6

Another tip, you don't need a smoking burn out with street tires, all that does is kill the tires both in usable life span and traction, makes 'em greesy. as was said eralier go around the water box and giv em a quick hop to clean them. If you do race regularly, invest in a set of sfi approved drag rims and the appropiat tires.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

really good info here. Im use to auto's myself and although I had a good idea about how to launch this just confirms it.

Thread Information