Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 350z kill

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Obviously I would agree those trannys suck. They are smooth and easy to drive when they work but they do not last.

Yes 1 car crashed, im sure there have been f-bodys that had a tranny go or a bearing spin at low miles, does that mean the ls1 and t-56 are weak because 1 car had this issue? I think not. I'm just waiting for some kind of mass brake complaint which i cant find. Not from nissan because they are liars but from real world drivers. It might just take more time since the cars are so new.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

a guy in one of my classes has a 370z. he says its slow. im not sure if hes trying to bait me for a race, but im not worried about it. i have a couple issues i need to take care of before im going to run it hard again.
    RIP Drew 9/16/1987-11/15/2009

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    a guy in one of my classes has a 370z. he says its slow. im not sure if hes trying to bait me for a race, but im not worried about it. i have a couple issues i need to take care of before im going to run it hard again.
    They do ok, low to mid 13s at 105-108mph, about what a stock ls1 would run. 3100-3200lbs with 335hp can move out decent.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

well, a badass tick and something wrong with my clutch is gonna keep me from revin past 3k. any time i drive it hard i have a hellluva a time trying to get it in any gear. the clutch pedal will stay on the floor, well, it comes up a little but not to where it should, for like 3-5 minutes after accelerating hard.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

the way i see it is i have run 12.8 at 111 before at the track, so if i get beat by something faster than 12.8 it cant be rice so whatever. you win some you loose some. its soo hard to find a close race around here its crazy, i usualy win by bus lengths, or lose by bus lengths.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Nice Kill

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes 1 car crashed, im sure there have been f-bodys that had a tranny go or a bearing spin at low miles, does that mean the ls1 and t-56 are weak because 1 car had this issue? I think not. I'm just waiting for some kind of mass brake complaint which i cant find. Not from nissan because they are liars but from real world drivers. It might just take more time since the cars are so new.
    If something actually failed (brake hose, master cylinder, caliper, ect) I would agree with you. But nothing was actually defective. The car just doesn't stop when you get the brakes hot. Nissan even admitted this, except they blamed it on their brake pads which they claim "aren't meant for the track". Not meant for the track?? Its the NISMO edition, thats the entire POINT of the car. Hence why it says on the Nissan website that the 370Z Nismo is "track ready".

I'm sure if C&D got another 370Z the same thing would happen. Its the result of a shitty braking system, not a defective part.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Lol, I still call it defective. Maybe not defective from stopping on the street, but engineered defectively for anything other then normal street driving. Wonder how those brakes would hold up to some aggressive driving on US 129, Tail of the Dragon.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^Lol, I still call it defective. Maybe not defective from stopping on the street, but engineered defectively for anything other then normal street driving. Wonder how those brakes would hold up to some aggressive driving on US 129, Tail of the Dragon.
    As would I, but zinergy is maintaining that it was a problem unique to that car, which simply isn't true. They are all the same, they all use that shitty brake system.

As for aggressive driving on US 129, with the 370Z the pedal would drop to the floor after a couple hard turns and you would crash

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    As would I, but zinergy is maintaining that it was a problem unique to that car, which simply isn't true. They are all the same, they all use that shitty brake system.

As for aggressive driving on US 129, with the 370Z the pedal would drop to the floor after a couple hard turns and you would crash
    Im not siding with anyone, i just dont think 1 car is proof. Besides the pedal dropping to the floor would have nothing to do with pad fade, so that argument is just silly.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i took an oldsmobile cutlass sierra through us129. wasnt sporting it, got halfway through and wanted to quit. but i made it through unscathed. as long as you dont try to excede the vehicles performance level youll be fine.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Im not siding with anyone, i just dont think 1 car is proof. Besides the pedal dropping to the floor would have nothing to do with pad fade, so that argument is just silly.
    I already explained how this isn't the first instance.

Here is C&D's August '08 Braking test, im which both the Nismo 350Z and Infiniti FX50 experience severe brake fade. Thats 3 separate vehicles. The issue is with Nissan's shitty brakes, not the way the car is driven.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...top-tech_stuff

"The FX50S fared even worse. Not only did its brakes give up much sooner than those of the two other SUVs, they did so with little warning. Things were fine after the first six panic stops, with distances hovering around 340 feet. On the seventh stop (in the second test cycle), the pedal travel grew markedly longer and the distance increased to 432 feet. On the eighth, the pedal went to the metal. We held it there, and the Infiniti gradually came to a stop in 473 feet. We tried a few more times, but the car was braking with only half its maximum capability even though we were pushing on the pedal with more than 100 pounds of force. Afterward, we discovered that the rotors were deeply grooved, too. We contacted Infiniti, and the company says it is investigating the problem"

Sound familiar?? Almost identical to the 370Z.

Nissan even admitted that nothing was physically wrong with the 370Z that crashed, the brakes just failed to work as advertised. Nissan gives you a nice interior and saves their money by giving you garbage brakes, thats not a good budget strategy.
    Last edited by Wesman; 01-26-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    i took an oldsmobile cutlass sierra through us129. wasnt sporting it, got halfway through and wanted to quit. but i made it through unscathed. as long as you dont try to excede the vehicles performance level youll be fine.
    That road is awesome, eh?

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

if i had been in a better car or on a bike yes. being a beater, a 2 ton beater, i couldnt really enjoy the road for what it was worth. plus i had 2 buddies in my car and a weeks worth of alcohol, pot, food, and other sorts of dumbassery in there.
    one of the guys driving in our "convoy" was in a celica, so he got to somewhat enjoy it. the other was in a lifted ram pickum up truck. he was scared shitless.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^That's the best way to break someone in on a curvy road, have them in them back seat and make them read you something. Then make them get motion sickness! Or if nothing is available to read, make them try to roll one (or several) while driving the dragon LOL.

We saw a few bikes off the road, with a tow truck and a LONG cable pulling the bike back to the road where the slid off the curve(s). Gotta get back there soon....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Go on the forums, guys know that the brakes suck. They have to be upgraded for ANY track use.

As for the proof, what more do you need?? The car's brakes failed and it CRASHED. No other car had this problem. C&D called Nissan and they didn't even have a good answer, they just said they'd "look into it".

This isn't the first time they've had problems either. If you go back to C&D's braking comparo a while back, both the Nismo 350Z and Infiniti FX50 had extremely poor brake performance and extreme fade issues, with their pedals almost dropping to the floor after only a couple hard stops. Yet the Malibu and Accord in the same test, two average family sedans, stopped consistantly.

ha i have both of those issues. they also had an srx againts the fx50 and the caddy out performed it

Quote Originally Posted by espskillz View Post
    I thought these things were suppose to dust old ls1's?
    The newer models that have 306hp can easily run low 13s in the 1/4 mile. The older ones averaged around a 14.0

For the record, I have watched a intake/tune newer 350Z race a catback/lid LS1 Camaro, and it was a dead even race.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    The newer models that have 306hp can easily run low 13s in the 1/4 mile. The older ones averaged around a 14.0

For the record, I have watched a intake/tune newer 350Z race a catback/lid LS1 Camaro, and it was a dead even race.
    Never seen a 350Z hang anything close to an LS1, but whatever. Believe what you want. Sounds like a case of a bad driver in the Camaro and an excellent driver in the 350Z.

Never seen a 350Z hang anything close to an LS1, but whatever. Believe what you want. Sounds like a case of a bad driver in the Camaro and an excellent driver in the 350Z.
    The Camaro was an A4, all he had to do was mash the pedal. The 350Z was manual. I saw this race, they were even. You believe what you want. It happened. Both cars were low 13s at the track.

silver
    2002 ws6

you're forgetting one thing wes.. were on the internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information