00ls1bird

Launch in an auto

I am an auto newbe. How do you keep the wheels from spinning on the launch. Do you race with traction control on? I raced a friend of mines 01 GT and got my ass handed to me on the launch then blew him away after I got traction. Before the flames begin, keep in mind I have had my trans am for 2 weeks. Prior to that I was driving an 04mustang GT manual.

White
    1998 Trans Am

you are going to absolutely destroy a GT stang everytime...you're gonna spin a little bit no matter what...i don't have traction control on my car, but doesn't that just launch you in first? if you really wanna grab traction, get some drag radials!

Silver
    2002 VX SS

You will actually lose time using traction control and I mean alot....... best would be to get some racing slicks (radials) can't go wrong.........

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

New torque arm and lower control arms would probably help ya out alot to w/ them new drag radials...

Does anybody care to tell this guy that you know, lookin for traction all the time in an fbod on a stock rear is like looking for sex from a prostitue? Sure you can get it all the time, but one day its going to catch up with you

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
    Does anybody care to tell this guy that you know, lookin for traction all the time in an fbod on a stock rear is like looking for sex from a prostitue? Sure you can get it all the time, but one day its going to catch up with you
    that makes no sense at all.

Hark_Z
    LOL hes sayin something will break but it sounded a little drawn out..

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    New torque arm and lower control arms would probably help ya out alot to w/ them new drag radials...
    I agree with this guy.. Drag radials, Adjustable torque arm set to 2 degrees of pinion angle, and a spohn race sway bar.. Just be carefull, 10 bolt can only take so much.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

since u dont have a WS6, invest in some 17x9 inch rims and slap some 275's or 285's on there and that'll help you out a lil, if you dont want to get ridiclus drag radials

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Just keep praticing your launches without breaking traction....after a lot of practice you'll know the limits of your current setup. I have really crappy tires on my auto...I can't put it to the floor until the middle-end of 2nd...depending on the road.

White
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Just keep praticing your launches without breaking traction....after a lot of practice you'll know the limits of your current setup. I have really crappy tires on my auto...I can't put it to the floor until the middle-end of 2nd...depending on the road.
    yeah, what he said.

You cant floor it from a stop or you'll lose traction. just get used to knowing the fastest you can take off without spining em or just a little and as it gets rolling a little then floor it all the way.

If you want to stick from a stop you need sticky tires like drag slicks or radials or nitto's with soft compound. slicks are best of course.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

TURN TRACTION CONTROL OFF!! Push down hard on the brake with your left foot give the car gas with your right LOL...tach the car up till the brakes will just not hold it back anymore....(should be around (1200-1500 RPM) when the race starts let off the brake and floor it....if done correctly the car should just chirp a little and take off like a bat outta hell....or you could just roll into it...idle off the line and then punch it. When you take off like your desribing you unleashing well of 300HP to those poor little tires on the back and they just can't take it lol. With my orginal Z (also a A4) I could pull consist 2.04's 60' times with some cheap ass Pep Boys tires on it. Moved up to 17" Z06 wheels with yokohama 275/45's and could only get 2.17 60's.....Bought Nitto DR's and got that down to a 1.94 60' Best thing to do is just get some seat time in the car go out onto a back rode or something and just practice taking off different ways see what works best for your car.....No matter what your going to kill just about any GT you come up on....Hope this helped sorry for the long post lol

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Dude launching an A4 is damn near impossible to mess up (Unless you have a torque converter). Brake torque the car up to 1200-1500 rpms, let off the brake when ready to launch, and roll into the throttle. Yippee, a 2.0-2.1 sec. 60'. Start complaining when you have an M6.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'sWS6
    Dude launching an A4 is damn near impossible to mess up (Unless you have a torque converter). Brake torque the car up to 1200-1500 rpms, let off the brake when ready to launch, and roll into the throttle. Yippee, a 2.0-2.1 sec. 60'. Start complaining when you have an M6.
    Man, when I had my M6 it was heaven getting off the line, now with the auto I can't drive it for crap. . .lol. Had the M6 for 4.5 years too though so I kinda got to know it. This automatic thing has me confused though, I though it would be easy. . .

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Quote Originally Posted by LSWONZ28
    Push down hard on the brake with your left foot give the car gas with your right LOL...tach the car up till the brakes will just not hold it back anymore....(should be around (1200-1500 RPM) when the race starts let off the brake and floor it....if done correctly the car should just chirp a little and take off like a bat outta hell
    If you don't want to buy aftermarket suspension parts do one of these^^^.

If my tires are heated before i launch i press the brake to the floor and press the gas as much as it can take before it breaks loose.then side step the brake pedal and floor it.

2002 Trans Am

One thing to add is avoid the water box and do not do a hugh burn out. Just spin the tires to clean them off. Pratice your lauching on the street this will help when you get to the track.
    Last edited by 1 Bad Ram Air; 03-10-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Thread Information