Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

silver
    2000 formula

500$ for a new ignition cylinder and keys at the stealership for me

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I to had this $500. quote and it was from a shop foreman that I trusted he told me about the thin wires this was about 8 years ago.

all I did was read up on VATS.for the solution.

I'm sure eventualley these thin wires will fail.

My ? is can I connect these thin wires to a push button under dash hence igintion and just use the lock cylinder as a wheel lock?
    Thanks
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Arctic White
    2000 T/A Conv

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I to had this $500. quote and it was from a shop foreman that I trusted he told me about the thin wires this was about 8 years ago.

all I did was read up on VATS.for the solution.

I'm sure eventualley these thin wires will fail.

My ? is can I connect these thin wires to a push button under dash hence igintion and just use the lock cylinder as a wheel lock?
    Thanks
    I realize this an old thread and you may already have the answer. If not, the short answer is no. Your key has a resistor in it, some call it a chip but it is not a computer chip. There are 15 different types of keys with 15 different resistance values. The VATS II system needs to match your resistance to the set, programmed resistance in the system. If VATS detects the correct value, then you get to start the car.

There are many very well written articles on the web about VATS and how to bypass or change the ignition cylinder.

I personally hope that this problem will someway become part of this massive recall...but good luck to us with that one. ;-)

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Bgw70 View Post
    I realize this an old thread and you may already have the answer. If not, the short answer is no. Your key has a resistor in it, some call it a chip but it is not a computer chip. There are 15 different types of keys with 15 different resistance values. The VATS II system needs to match your resistance to the set, programmed resistance in the system. If VATS detects the correct value, then you get to start the car.

There are many very well written articles on the web about VATS and how to bypass or change the ignition cylinder.

I personally hope that will someway become part of this massive recall...but good luck to us with that one. ;-)
    it should have been a part of the massive recall GM just did for ignition issues and they completely skipped over it...they probably could not shoulder another 500,000+ repairs.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Not sure if im.in the righy spot here but my situation is similar and I need some guidance. The problem with my ignition is the actuator rod snapped and the stealer ship wants 1300 dollars to fix it. Part number 26010649 is discontinued so they want to source a used column and pull this 20 dollar part from it and charge a bunch for labor. Is there anyone out there who has one I can purchase or have any info on a repopped unit? I have a black t top 2000 SS with only 66k miles and I would just be tickled to drive her again! Any info would help thanks so much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information