Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    hey. the parts company is sending my head gaskets overnight free of charge thank god. maybe i can get this started again after all. lol ok so question. smittro. i was looking through your pics of your TT build. props by the way. and i noticed on you gasket that goes between you intake manifold and your heads that yours has a small metal tab over a little hole blocking it. i received a litttle paper with my gaskets telling me i had to insert that small tab blocking that same hole im assuming. but they were referring to the 2.8L i believe. and im pretty sure i remember you telling me that its the same block casting. so do i need to insert that little tab blocking that hole? and if so wats the purpose of it? like i said found it curious especailly when i saw it was blocked on your motor. hoping to add another drop into my shallow well of motor knowledge. thanks
    You lost me bud what metal tap are you refering to. My intake manifold is far different than any other 60*v6. My heads are totally different too. Are you refering to the anti-drain back valve in the valley of my motor? Or the alignment tabs on my gaskets? Need more info or a pic of what your talking about would be good too...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    You lost me bud what metal tap are you refering to. My intake manifold is far different than any other 60*v6. My heads are totally different too. Are you refering to the anti-drain back valve in the valley of my motor? Or the alignment tabs on my gaskets? Need more info or a pic of what your talking about would be good too...
    here's wat the flyer in it says

Instruction sheet for 2.8L chevy v-6 intake manifold set

"the manifold gaskets in this set are marked O or R and must be installed on the left hand or right hand bank of the engine, as viewed from the flywheel. The gasket for the right hand bank, marked R has an open heat cross over port. the gasket for the bank, marked O has a 1/2" diameter restricted heat cross over port. on 1980 engines a blocked heat cross over port is required on the left bank. this set contains an insert which will convert the restricted port to a blocked port. install the insert into the 1/2" diameter hole, then fold over the three tabs to lok insert into position."

ok. my question is do i need to do this? bcuz mines a 3.4l but it says 2.8l for these instructions.. if so what purpose does this serve

green
    1994 camaro

updates!!! cylinder heads are on along with the intake manifold and front mounting brackets for the acessories, replaced the o-ring on the oil pump drive with the updated ring (thank you smittro), and replaced my rear main seal. still got put the fuel injection system on and fuel rail, buy the oil pan and level sensor. and attach them. then it should be ready to put back in the car. but with holidays fast approaching we'll see how much i can actually get done in this busy time of year. merry christmas everyone!

green
    1994 camaro

question?

updates:

good( fuel injection manifold/air plenums bolted on, o-rings replaced on fuel rail and fuel rail bolted on, alternator bolted back in place, and emissions crap on top of the fuel injection system put all back in correct places.)

bad( gotta get new starter solenoid, gotta get new quick disconnect fuel lines, gotta get oil pan and level sensor, not to mention miscellanious other hoses and fluids)

agenda for tommorow( put exhaust manifolds back on. mount a/c unit, connect egr valve, and replace tranny filter)

question( what does the hose coming off of the big black circular thing behind the master cylinder, cant think of the name, go to?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    updates:

good( fuel injection manifold/air plenums bolted on, o-rings replaced on fuel rail and fuel rail bolted on, alternator bolted back in place, and emissions crap on top of the fuel injection system put all back in correct places.)

bad( gotta get new starter solenoid, gotta get new quick disconnect fuel lines, gotta get oil pan and level sensor, not to mention miscellanious other hoses and fluids)

agenda for tommorow( put exhaust manifolds back on. mount a/c unit, connect egr valve, and replace tranny filter)

question( what does the hose coming off of the big black circular thing behind the master cylinder, cant think of the name, go to?
    That is the brake booster. Should have a large port on the manifold somewhere. Cant you get an oil pan from a junkyard?

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    That is the brake booster. Should have a large port on the manifold somewhere. Cant you get an oil pan from a junkyard?
    hey bigron! good to see ya again =) i thought it was the brake booster. but i can't find where it goes to. do you mean it should go to the intake manifold? or should it go to the opposite side valve cover? i've got something sticking up there that looks like a hose should go on it. (and no its not the pcv. i got that hooked up already) if you could describe where it goes i would greatly appreciate it

yeah i prolly could but the stepdad says doesn't have time to take me and by the time we get there, find the car and get it out, and pay for it he would rather just order one online i know i know. but when he's footing the bill you play by his rules lol and just let him pay them

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

It should go to the intake somewhere. From the only pics I can see it looks like it is up against the cowl and goes to maybe the back of the manifold. The one on the valve cover should go near the tb. Maybe Smittro can give you a better idea where it goes.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    It should go to the intake somewhere. From the only pics I can see it looks like it is up against the cowl and goes to maybe the back of the manifold. The one on the valve cover should go near the tb. Maybe Smittro can give you a better idea where it goes.
    yeah im waiting for him to show up again. i think i know where it goes from your description. it like the only one left on the back lol and now i gotta find where the one on the valve cover goes lol smittro?

white
    1995 Firebird

valve cover vacuum hose

just did a head job on my 3.4, and the vacuum hose from the PCV valve on the driver side valve cover wraps around the back of the intake plenium, and connects to a "T" shaped connector, that goes into an inlet on the top front of the intake plenium. u can see it really good in the pictures from earlier. Oh, and u might want to unhook that "T" shaped connector from the intake plenium when u crank the engine for the first time. I tends to backfire thru the intake, and it will crack that specific connector, and it's a pain to find a new one. Dealer part only.

white
    1995 Firebird

previous post

Oh, and obviously don't forget to hook it back up after u crank it up, or else ur engine will hold about a 3500-4000rpm idle. haha.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Brake booster VAC nozzle is @ the back of the upper intake manifold/plenuem. It's located in the low spot in it's casting @ the back, and should have a fitting there already facing the booster. The PVC hose is a hard plastic line that goe's from the right bank valve cover around the back of the upper intake and hooks to a low fitting directly behind the TB @ the base of the intakes "u" shape casting, there should be a fitting there for it..

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Brake booster VAC nozzle is @ the back of the upper intake manifold/plenuem. It's located in the low spot in it's casting @ the back, and should have a fitting there already facing the booster. The PVC hose is a hard plastic line that goe's from the right bank valve cover around the back of the upper intake and hooks to a low fitting directly behind the TB @ the base of the intakes "u" shape casting, there should be a fitting there for it..
    thanks guys i already had the pvc valve and line stuff taken care of. and thanks smittro thats wat i needed was the location of where the brake booster hooked up to thats another questions down you guys are awesome looks like my motor venture is shut down for a week or so (and im this close to having it ready to drop back in.. but its christmas eve and im leaving town saturday

green
    1994 camaro

come on smittro!!!

hey guys back from break and its time to get to work. =) two questions.

1. there are three "fuel lines" two deliver fuel to the rail. the third is a vent line im guessing.. or something of that sorts. so where does this third line hook up to in the bay? and if someone could give a short explanation of how this works and why i would love it. if not just tell me where it hooks up to.

2. on the left bank ( if the motor is in the car and your looking under the hood.) there is an attachment on the top of the valve cover. what is it for? what hooks up to it? and no im not talking about the PCV valve. thats on the right bank valve cover. if i can i'll try to get a picture up tomorow.

updates; everything is back on and valves are adjusted. just waiting for the oil pan in the next couple of days.

white
    1995 Firebird

Question #1 - The third line hooks to the fuel evaporator box that's connected to the top right hand side of the upper air intake plenium. Not sure exactly how it works, but that is where it connects.

Question #2 - The attachment on the left side valve cover is also a PCV valve slot. There should be a hose that runs from there, to your air intake tubing.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by davidlb512 View Post
    Question #1 - The third line hooks to the fuel evaporator box that's connected to the top right hand side of the upper air intake plenium. Not sure exactly how it works, but that is where it connects.

Question #2 - The attachment on the left side valve cover is also a PCV valve slot. There should be a hose that runs from there, to your air intake tubing.
    what does my fuel evapoartor box look like?? the only thing there i can think of is the emmissions thing on the side of the plenum.. but i thought that hooked up to a line to my charcoal canister... any more details? im thoroughly confused about that..

thank you for the other pcv thing i found where it goes.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I dont think I can help with the third line. I will check my haynes and see if they have any listing. One fuel line is feed, one is return and the other like said before should go to the charcoal canister or box like said above. Does it show on the emissions sticker on your car? I dont have a V6 to check either. Maybe you can post something in the general area and see if someone could check their car.

green
    1994 camaro

thanks big ron. i've scowered my haynes manual and found one diagram i think might help. what do you think? it has a picture of a line coming from the gas tank (third fuel line?) that hooks up to the charcoal canister and and a line coming from the canister to the control valve ( box on the side of my plenum?) that goes to my throttle body. sound right? smittro?
    Last edited by adrenalinejunkie; 01-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Sounds like it could be right. The only pic I see is on the cover. It just shows all the lines going near the plenum. Not sure if it gets redirected to the canister or not. Sounds like you are ready to see all your hard work pay off.

white
    1995 Firebird

Check out the little black box directly above the dip stick. That show's where to connect the hoses.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by davidlb512 View Post
    Click for full size

Check out the little black box directly above the dip stick. That show's where to connect the hoses.
    OOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much man!! a pictures worth a thousand words! thanks a lot bro!!

Thread Information